matched crank/bearing set?

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Well I have a spare engine to build up but it won't be done for a long time. I'm slowly gathering parts as my budget allows. In the meantime I'd like to not drive around a supra with rodknock. This is not my permanent solution, and its not a daily driver so please don't tell me how cheap I am. I'd just like to replace a tapping rod bearing before it does some damage.

I think I remember someone saying that you can purchase a matched crank/bearing set from autozone/advanced auto whatever. I figure this will be easier than trying to match new bearings to a re-machined crankshaft. Does anyone have experience with these? Is it worth doing? I'm not pulling the engine, I'm just going to pull the oil pan (yes I realize how much work this is, I will pull the engine when I plan on swapping a built motor in) and replace the rod and main bearings.

Please respond only if you have something constructive to add. I'd just like to be able to drive the supra on an occasional weekend until I get a real engine built for it.

edit:this is the second supra ive owned thats died from oil problems. if i don't like your responses ill swap to 1jz! muhaha

Last edited:

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroke....99|~Toyota|~Supra|~1991|~3+MO|~60.0|~NONE|~V

If I'm not mistaken that crank kit comes with a 6M crankshaft. I don't think it comes with the fully counterweight 7M crank. You might want to call them and ask about that. Make sure to ask about the rod and main bearing clearances. It comes with a 3 month warranty, so if you develope a rod knock I suppose you can take it back. Good luck.