manual boost controller

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Ok so i got a second hand manual boost controller, turbosmart. I am not quite sure how to run the vacuum lines? The controller has two ports, one that has an arrow that point inward. Is that from the wastegate, or charge side of turbo? Also there is another "T" that has an arrow says face toward wastegate, given. The inlet directly across from that , when blown through, vents out of the other side? suck or blow i get no response from the "wastegate" side of the t? If someone can get up a diagram for me i would appreciate it thanks. Just wanna make sure i get it hooked up right and not blow shit up. Also is there a way of checking where the boost is set other than just driving the car? like a vac/psi pump or something?

I found this image http://a416.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/108/l_9ccc20fa0a590e0591d36bcc1310952f.jpg but i dint understand why i would vent the line off the controller to atmosphere? or should that run into the intake?

Last edited:

Ozz89supra

Ozzy
Feb 22, 2009
Phoenix
89supra7mgte;1563831 said:
so pretty much just use the controller and not the "T"

Thats what I did, the T really throws me off, but I have never used that particular boost controller before.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I was a little confused too, so i found this...
http://www.boostcontroller.com/display_page.php?i=22
Explains it pretty well. Looks like you have a bleed off type controller, so it is hooked up differently. Just hook it up exactly as shown. You don't have to run that atmosphere line back to your intake, but i suppose if you plumb it back in after the MAF but before the turbo inlet, you could prevent un metered air from escaping. So yes, you need both the tee and the adjustment knob part

Ozz89supra

Ozzy
Feb 22, 2009
Phoenix
CyFi6;1563899 said:
I was a little confused too, so i found this...
http://www.boostcontroller.com/display_page.php?i=22
Explains it pretty well. Looks like you have a bleed off type controller, so it is hooked up differently. Just hook it up exactly as shown. You don't have to run that atmosphere line back to your intake, but i suppose if you plumb it back in after the MAF but before the turbo inlet, you could prevent un metered air from escaping. So yes, you need both the tee and the adjustment knob part

I hate bleed off types, they alway boost creep on me :(

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Hey grim, i believe the one i have is ball and spring type. Look at the link in the first post and tell me if thats the kind you are talking about? I am just a little unclear on the line routing? I dont understand why one is just vented? and the "T" just doesnt make sense? i did however pull mine apart and found that check ball was on the worng side of the spring.

Where else can the vented line off the controller be routed? seems like i would have a leak if it is just vented to the engine bay?

When i get this one set up right what would be the best way to check what psi it is set at other than just boosting the car?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Yes, yours is a ball and spring type, which is the best of the manual boost controllers.

The vented line is there so that you don't permanently pressurize your wastegate. Otherwise, after you hit boost and let off, the wastegate line past the boost controller would seal off and contain the pressure. The vent allows this pressure to bleed back out and the wastegate closes again.

Try blowing through it - the average guy can blow about 7psi, so just adjust it until you can blow through it, then set it up from there.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Ok so on the the manual controller, with the knob turned all the way negative it is closed cannot blow through it, 3 clicks positive (1/4 turn) can start to feel air. The more positive it goes the less restriction, is that proper operation? How does it work? The more pos the more air that vents?

On the T like, when i blow through it it is impossible!!!! From compressor side towards wastegate, look through center port and see spring all bound up, like it is compressed as far as it can go. What is going there? Explain how the T works please? So the ball and spring are on the compressor side, and the wastegate and line to controller is free flowing.

Martiv

Feb 16, 2010
Tartu
Im planning to use plastic "stiff" vacuum lines when getting to interior, so they wouldn't "bend" and not let boost to move freely...Will I be safe then?

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
The boost creep isn't from the lines being rubber. It's from the length of the lines.

Stock WG line is about 5 or 6 inches (if that). Your talking about the air having to go into the cabin and back again before opening the wastegate. While I haven't tried it myself and couldn't tell you how badly it will creep I'd keep the lines as short as possible.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
so if you were to install it in the cabin say on the passenger side, still reachable you would have shorter lines and still have accessibility?

I am still debating on whether or not i even wanna use mine it seems shading and the way the air flows through doesnt seem to be proper to me?

concealer404

Crapbox Racing
May 10, 2010
Indianapolis
For what it's worth, both Hallman and Turbosmart make in-cab MBCs. Turbosmart is usually pretty good about answering questions if you want to shoot them an email.