main, White fuse box wire.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Well if you saw my last thread you'd know my car "tried to kill me". Well it turned back on about 2 seconds after I lost control only to regain when it turned back on. After getting to my car a couple days later it still started and ran. I popped the hood after I dug my car out. The white main power power to the main fuse box was completely disconnected. By some miracle the live wire landed on a rubber line! Preventng yet another electrical fire on my part.

My question is, how is this possible. How could the car run? Was this divine intervention lol?

All I can think of is my batt relcation. Power is routed from batt to starter and starter to alternator. The main white wire is also connected to alt. This wire rested on the pcv evac hose from the valve cover.

Either way someone was watching over me that night since it landed where it did. How it powered back up and ran is my question.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I'd say more a case of shoddy work on your part......

Lost track of how many times you've broken your car or burnt it, this ISN'T happening to everyone else. :nono:

Just did a quick search of threads you've posted 80% appear to be wiring related issues, maybe it's time to have someone that knows what they're doing go through the car before you end up killing yourself in it.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
I knew it! (not the shoddy work; thats another story...lol)

But yea; did you have a nice solid crimp with a nice layer of tape or heat shrink...?

Also the car will stay running simply because it gets power from the ALT too, and not just the battery. Simple.

I'm so cool. ;)

/thread.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
gaboonviper85;1476842 said:
He didn't ask "how" the wire came loose...he asked "how" they car stayed running!!!

And how about you mind your own business....
apu.jpg

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
IJ.;1476846 said:
And how about you mind your own business....

Iwantmkiii just left my house...it is my business as we have been discussing this for hours now....this is a forum so it pretty much is everyones business...

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
IJ.;1476825 said:
I'd say more a case of shoddy work on your part......

Lost track of how many times you've broken your car or burnt it, this ISN'T happening to everyone else. :nono:

Just did a quick search of threads you've posted 80% appear to be wiring related issues, maybe it's time to have someone that knows what they're doing go through the car before you end up killing yourself in it.

As a mod, this is simply inappropriate. My car is rarely broken or disabled, especially for a 20 y/o DD. Until you see and confirm any "shoddy" work first hand, as many have seen otherwise, you can keep your mouse away from the "submit" button.

As far as GaboonVipers post is concerned, deleting his post because you're mad at him and making a valid point, since he called you out, is bordering the line of power abuse and immaturity. Don't get me wrong, I respect your knowledge, but your approach to this thread is uncalled for.

Zumtizzle;1476844 said:
I knew it! (not the shoddy work; thats another story...lol)

But yea; did you have a nice solid crimp with a nice layer of tape or heat shrink...?

Also the car will stay running simply because it gets power from the ALT too, and not just the battery. Simple.

I'm so cool. ;)

/thread.

it WAS a solid crimp. Vibration got the best of it I assume. Either way, it was my understanding this wire was the main power source for the majority of the components. What other wire does it primarily travel through? Obviously, there is another way pwoer travels.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I'm not going to argue with you but a review of your posts suggests otherwise, how else do you explain the current failure?

EVERY single Mk3 I've worked has required a lot of force to break the fastener for the 6mm white cable free, they don't just come un done and fall off.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
IJ.;1476871 said:
I'm not going to argue with you but a review of your posts suggests otherwise, how else do you explain the current failure?

EVERY single Mk3 I've worked has required a lot of force to break the fastener for the 6mm white cable free, they don't just come un done and fall off.

The white wire is not long enough to reach the alt. It needs to be extended and re-crimped. The crimp, obviously, was not strong enough, as it failed over time; possibly at the worst time too.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
IwantMKIII;1476872 said:
The white wire is not long enough to reach the alt. It needs to be extended and re-crimped. The crimp, obviously, was not strong enough, as it failed over time; possibly at the worst time too.

And that WOULDN'T be shoddy work how?

Aircraft fly millions of miles with crimp connectors and it's NOT raining planes.

I can't remember seeing a stock Toyota crimp failing and have never seen one of my own fail.

As I posted above maybe it's time to have someone look at it as there is something not right with your technique/tooling/materials.

You can take this whatever way you like but I don't have time to suger coat things and stroke your fragile ego.

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
I'm with IJ on this one, you must not be crimping it properly.

I had this problem until I saw a friend crimping a wire..that's when I figured out why mine kept falling off.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
IJ.;1476873 said:
And that WOULDN'T be shoddy work how?

Aircraft fly millions of miles with crimp connectors and it's NOT raining planes.

I can't remember seeing a stock Toyota crimp failing and have never seen one of my own fail.

As I posted above maybe it's time to have someone look at it as there is something not right with your technique/tooling/materials.

You can take this whatever way you like but I don't have time to suger coat things and stroke your fragile ego.

You tend to forget quickly and often how most of us do not maintain the same budget and time frame as you. My material and tooling are all average, and technique much more meticulous than most. I hardly find a crimp that lasts 8 months and 6+K miles "shoddy". A day, or a week, maybe a month yes, but after that, it would be inevitable no matter the skill or technique as you suggest. After that, material is where to look. Though, I shouldn't have to make this clear for a person like you, instead, you just make ignorant accusations. I understand why you may make these accusations, especially given some of the members that come through here, but I am not one to just pass through. I have been through some of the worst of the worst situations, only to restore and improve. That should count for something much more than the minimal respect you show.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
IwantMKIII;1476886 said:
You tend to forget quickly and often how most of us do not maintain the same budget and time frame as you. My material and tooling are all average, and technique much more meticulous than most. I hardly find a crimp that lasts 8 months and 6+K miles "shoddy". A day, or a week, maybe a month yes, but after that, it would be inevitable no matter the skill or technique as you suggest. After that, material is where to look. Though, I shouldn't have to make this clear for a person like you, instead, you just make ignorant accusations. I understand why you may make these accusations, especially given some of the members that come through here, but I am not one to just pass through. I have been through some of the worst of the worst situations, only to restore and improve. That should count for something much more than the minimal respect you show.

8 months and 6K miles NOT shoddy??? WTF are you smoking, Toyota crimps last 20+ years without failing...

You can try and spin this anyway you like and whatever it takes to make you feel good about the situation but at least try to maintain some objectivity about it.

As for "ignorant accusations" Dude please the Fail speaks for itself, you now have 3 choices.

a) I leave this in tech so you can get more input on it.

b) I move it to OT where you can run your mouth about what a bad and disrespectful mod I am

c) I delete it totally.

Your call, choose 1.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Zumtizzle;1476888 said:
How this car was still running. lol

My question exactly.

As far as i'm aware*, the white cable powers most everything. That's why i'm asking why it still has power given my setup....

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
IJ.;1476890 said:
8 months and 6K miles NOT shoddy??? WTF are you smoking, Toyota crimps last 20+ years without failing...

You can try and spin this anyway you like and whatever it takes to make you feel good about the situation but at least try to maintain some objectivity about it.

As for "ignorant accusations" Dude please the Fail speaks for itself, you now have 3 choices.

a) I leave this in tech so you can get more input on it.

b) I move it to OT where you can run your mouth about what a bad and disrespectful mod I am

c) I delete it totally.

Your call, choose 1.

Given this is a legitimate question, I choose d) attempt an answer, or don't post in the thread

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Ok you were given the choice you want to be "clever" about it fine by me.

You say I "disrespected" you, not sure about there but here you earn respect and nothing you've done or said has.

Easily solved choose A, B or C.

Merry Christmas

severe.jpg