Votes: 84 58.7%
  • Don't do it

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Do it later after the black is done

Votes: 50 35.0%

• Total voters

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
Why not out-do the Gold V12 MK4 and ask GM if you can "borrow" the V16 from the Caddy Sixteen prototype.

cadillacsixteen03_engine.jpg

dub it the "Supra Sweet Sixteen"

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
speedgilligan;1468584 said:
well somebody needs to do it....hell give it to buckshot and let him put it in one of those MKII's he's got :naughty:

If your idea of getting something done is handing it over to Dave...I feel sorry for you... :biglaugh:

Stretch;1468592 said:
Did you sort out the front sump issue? Had you decided to modify the sub frame, or convert to dry sump oil pan?
eric

After alot of thinking and playing around, I decided to modify the subframe. Doing the drysump would be ideal but costly, and I already have tooo many custom parts to make. Also, I'll push the firewall back 3-4 inches to be able to set the engine as close to a mid-engine setup as possible. The only problem with that so far is that the master brake pump is in the way, so I'll have to work around that...

The BIGGEST issue right now is which tranny to go with. If I go with the R154, I'll be looking at custom bellhousing or adapter, Custom flywheel, custom driveshaft, etc. If I go with the BMW 6spd, I'll be looking at custom driveshaft only pretty much (except for mounts and stuff like that) but the tranny along can average anywhere from 2-5K IF you can FIND one. I found one for $2,500 in good shape, but then I'll also have to buy a clutch, flywheel, pumps, etc. A brand new one from BMW is $4,700 including the bell housing only.

InFrnt0fU;1468598 said:
Why not out-do the Gold V12 MK4 and ask GM if you can "borrow" the V16 from the Caddy Sixteen prototype.

cadillacsixteen03_engine.jpg

dub it the "Supra Sweet Sixteen"

If I could afford that engine, there would have been a deposit placed on the LF-A LOOOOOONG ago!!! :biglaugh:

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Supraholics;1468624 said:
If your idea of getting something done is handing it over to Dave...I feel sorry for you... :biglaugh:

The BIGGEST issue right now is which tranny to go with. If I go with the R154, I'll be looking at custom bellhousing or adapter, Custom flywheel, custom driveshaft, etc. If I go with the BMW 6spd, I'll be looking at custom driveshaft only pretty much (except for mounts and stuff like that) but the tranny along can average anywhere from 2-5K IF you can FIND one. I found one for $2,500 in good shape, but then I'll also have to buy a clutch, flywheel, pumps, etc. A brand new one from BMW is $4,700 including the bell housing only.

Hmmm. I would say R154 + custom waterjet adapter = done and done.
But you say you want to move the firewall back 3-4". That means 1) You need a custom driveshaft anyway and 2) You'll need to tear up the tunnel anyway.
Therefore, I say T56 + custom waterjet adapter.

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
limequat;1468625 said:
Hmmm. I would say R154 + custom waterjet adapter = done and done.
But you say you want to move the firewall back 3-4". That means 1) You need a custom driveshaft anyway and 2) You'll need to tear up the tunnel anyway.
Therefore, I say T56 + custom waterjet adapter.

Why would I get T56 when I already have a R154? is cheaper to use the one I have :biglaugh:

Also, with either one, I'll have to get a custom flywheel made.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
You could use a button flywheel, which would retain the stock auto flexplate/ring gear and sandwich it between the crank and your button flywheel. It's actually quite common.

Do you have any pics of your subframe modifications?
eric

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Stretch;1468677 said:
You could use a button flywheel, which would retain the stock auto flexplate/ring gear and sandwich it between the crank and your button flywheel. It's actually quite common.

Do you have any pics of your subframe modifications?
eric

Oh WOW - I just did a quick search and looks promising!!! Thanks for that suggestion! It would still have to be custom made though right since I don't see any for a BMW...

I haven't done any mods to the subframe yet...

RedComet13

Rock n Rolla
Mar 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
http://www.turbomagazine.com/featur...et_v12_toyota_supra_twin_turbo/car_specs.html
Ever since I saw that One I've wondered what a MkIII V-12 would be like, Not for me, But If I could Drive the MKIV Anytime man, ANYTIME I could die happy. BTW I love that Body on it Considering that All the "Original" concepts for the "2009 Supra" were V-6 Fuel Economic.
I'll definently be keeping an eye on this thread tho :biglaugh:

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-165001.html
Look throught this carefully. It has very pertinent info regarding your transmission swap possibilities.

It depends what year your engine is from. If it is from the 750i E32 (1987–1995), or E38 (1994–2001). From your pics it looks like the earlier one, the E32. It was offered with a 5spd transmission option, but only on the 735 I believe. I have read the 6spd from the v12 in the 850i should possibly work. Obviously if your engine is from the 8 series, then it should deffinitely work ;).
eric

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Stretch;1468808 said:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-165001.html
Look throught this carefully. It has very pertinent info regarding your transmission swap possibilities.

It depends what year your engine is from. If it is from the 750i E32 (1987–1995), or E38 (1994–2001). From your pics it looks like the earlier one, the E32. It was offered with a 5spd transmission option, but only on the 735 I believe. I have read the 6spd from the v12 in the 850i should possibly work. Obviously if your engine is from the 8 series, then it should deffinitely work ;).
eric

Yup, I got the engine from an E32 and yes, the 850 6spd tranny does fit. It is just a bit pricy and hard to find.

I did look into that button flywheel and is looking very promising. I called PTT and talked with them for a while.

I really wanted a 5.5" clutch setup just so the engine revs faster, but to drive it on the street would be hell and I'll probably have to change the clutch quite fast.

The 7.25" Road Racing setup might be the way to go for me. I don't really care much for drag racing.

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah it does sound good! I'll keep them in mind for my project whenever it gets going :). I look forward to more interrest in this project from now on from you :icon_bigg.
eric

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
IJ.;1469911 said:
Personally I'd go auto with a good shift controller ;)

Auto for Road racing? If so, what's a good shift controller? Can you give me an example of a tranny shift controller combo? If it does quick shift then I'd definitely think about it. Thanks for the suggestion IJ! Keep 'em coming!

xxxotiknightz

Boomer
May 23, 2006
NORCAL
www.cardomain.com
Supraholics;1470321 said:
Auto for Road racing? If so, what's a good shift controller? Can you give me an example of a tranny shift controller combo? If it does quick shift then I'd definitely think about it. Thanks for the suggestion IJ! Keep 'em coming!

BMW's SMG trans is a great shift control.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Supraholics;1470321 said:
Can't see any reason not to use one!

xxxotiknightz;1470389 said:
BMW's SMG trans is a great shift control.
I was thinking more along the lines of something easily programmable like a PCS so you can tailor it to suit the circuit, not sure how the BMW trans works but if it's solenoids it's not that hard to set up as the PCS can handle 6 forward gears.

supraguru05;1470505 said:
AFAIK auto wont work for road racing as the trans cooler would have to be massive.
An Auto only builds a lot of heat when it slips so the key would be keeping the convertor locked as much as possible, then benfit to this is it drives more like a manual on/off the gas, you disconnect the brake input that unlocks the convertor during braking and set it up on a speed input so under 20mph it's unlocked.

Of course a couple of B&M Fan forced coolers should be added.

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
IJ.;1470506 said:
Can't see any reason not to use one!

I was thinking more along the lines of something easily programmable like a PCS so you can tailor it to suit the circuit, not sure how the BMW trans works but if it's solenoids it's not that hard to set up as the PCS can handle 6 forward gears.

An Auto only builds a lot of heat when it slips so the key would be keeping the convertor locked as much as possible, then benfit to this is it drives more like a manual on/off the gas, you disconnect the brake input that unlocks the convertor during braking and set it up on a speed input so under 20mph it's unlocked.

Of course a couple of B&M Fan forced coolers should be added.

Sounds very interesting and I'm all forth the quick shifts for racing but, it also sounds expensive. Much more expensive than using my R154 with the button flywheel. Correct me if i'm wrong...