lowering tokico vs koni

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
tentatively planning on eibach springs and koni dampers, but are the konis really worth roughly double the tokico hp's? i know they're adjustable on-car, and i can imagine that's worth the money, but are they better performance-wise?

thanks,
chris

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I think its more of a quality concern more than anything. I had Tokico Illuminas on my mr2 a while back and i had wished i had gotten konis. They are just generally cheaply made it seems and probably wont last as long as Koni's.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
comparing blues to the koni's is just not fair...

thats like a ct-26 vs a gt35R... there completely different.

koni vs. illumina is a real battle. I have tokico blues, and there good.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
arent the illuminas TEMS compatible?

looks like ill be going with the konis. how important are sway bars after i install the springs/dampers?

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
the illuminas are yes, and i would personally go with those... but thats just me.

i would suggest whiteline. there suppose to be the best. but everybody has there preference...

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Clip;982114 said:
arent the illuminas TEMS compatible?

looks like ill be going with the konis. how important are sway bars after i install the springs/dampers?

you're always going to need sway bars even with a suspension setup, Its only for body roll and it needs to do its job.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
since i dont have the TEMS actuators, i suppose ill go ahead and get the konis. do the illumina dampers make TEMS noticeably better?

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Clip;981913 said:
tentatively planning on eibach springs and koni dampers, but are the konis really worth roughly double the tokico hp's? i know they're adjustable on-car, and i can imagine that's worth the money, but are they better performance-wise?

thanks,
chris

Koni's arnt adjustable on the car. you have to take appart the suspension, compress the sock, and turn the rod to adjust it.

Amontgomery

not so sad 10psi
Apr 1, 2008
Cleveland, MS
I am also curious about Illuminas. I like the idea of driver controlled dampening but not if it sacrifices reliability for the feature and not if it cost as much as a new car like the setup from Tein. Are the Illuminas reliable for street to light track use?

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Amontgomery;982592 said:
I am also curious about Illuminas. I like the idea of driver controlled dampening but not if it sacrifices reliability for the feature and not if it cost as much as a new car like the setup from Tein. Are the Illuminas reliable for street to light track use?

it doesnt sacrifice the reliability. it uses a small rod that runs down the inside of the shaft to vary the opening of the ports in the valves.

the are as relibable as any other shock on the market.

Amontgomery

not so sad 10psi
Apr 1, 2008
Cleveland, MS
Thats good to hear. I might consider a set when it comes time to replace my struts, they seem to be more economical than other remote adjustable dampeners.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
Ckanderson;982489 said:
Koni's arnt adjustable on the car. you have to take appart the suspension, compress the sock, and turn the rod to adjust it.

http://store.driftmotion.com/Static/Itemkoni8040-1063sport.php

Driftmotion.com said:
Koni sport shock for Toyota Supra mk3 front. These shocks offer adjustable dampening by way of a knob, you don't have to remove the shock to adjust it.

these are the ones i had found, are they not adjustable on the car?

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
I have Koni yellows, and actually they're quite nice. I didn't feel much of a difference when changing from stock springs to Eibachs(though the Konis with better stock springs made a very noticeable difference from my previous old stock setup). Though I may have softened the Konis a bit while I was changing the springs....(on the softest setting now).
I like it. (I don't drive harsh).