Lowering the stock suspension??

i dont really know anything about suspension except for the basics, springs and shocks. so i would like to know how i could lower my 88 about an inch and a half. is this something where i could take the spring out and cut i little off of it until i get the desired height? or is it more complicated than that? if so, how?

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
I think that the stock coil spring is variable in width, therefore cutting off a small section of the spring may not allow it to seat properly, then again you can try but its better to get a setr of lowering springs.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Why don't you just buy lowering springs in stead of cutting stock ones? I'd buy lowering springs and save the b.s of cutting them. Then sell the stock ones, get couple of bucks back, anythings better than nothing. Cutting the springs won't give the results or ride quality compared to getting lowering springs.

no, i hav no intention of cutting the springs. no offense to the guys who lower the cars 2-3 inches but thats way too low for me. i plan on completely rebuilding the car from the ground up and would like to keep it as stock as possible with original parts. im gonna end up putting at least $20,000 over the years and for me the stock ride height just looks a little weird.

how about these? http://www.yourhotcar.com/prod/Intr...owering_Suspension_Springs_-_75.1.050/557925/

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I haven't heard anything about intrax springs on supras, but I know a few guys who had them on DSM's and they sagged after a few years.

Doesn't eibach make a prokit spring for this car? Those are usually about 1 to 1.5" drop.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
If you want to stick with springs / shocks, Suspension Techniques (ST) makes a good set of variable rate lowering springs.

If you're going to end up dumping a lot of money into the car anyway, I'd suggest going with decent coilovers - that allows you to set the ride height anywhere you want, gives you proper spring rates, and adjustable damping. I have coilovers on both Supras, well worth the coin IMO.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
been watching this thread closely cause im kinda in the same boat and im sorry but for the life of me i cant find that thread with all the pics of peoples drops there are a ton of threads with pics here and there but i cant find that "one" thats got them all and alot of the different combos...ect...frustrating cause ive seen it here before...but now that i actually need it i cant find it....

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
destrux;1665645 said:
I haven't heard anything about intrax springs on supras, but I know a few guys who had them on DSM's and they sagged after a few years.

Doesn't eibach make a prokit spring for this car? Those are usually about 1 to 1.5" drop.

Yep they do 1.5 all the way around on all four corners. That what I have ordered.

toyotavince

gear slammer
Jan 20, 2011
socal
i just picked up on some d2 racing sports spings on ebay. under 200$ and they lower your car 2". my car sits nice, corners hard and has ok ride quality

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Intrax drop like h&rs a good amount.

Eibachs Dont drop that much are not that much stiffer than stock..

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
thanks for the link....lots of good stuff there...but i remember there being kind of a master comparison thread that had everybodys pics and what they had all in one spot...maybe it wasnt here but i could have sworn it was.....@ vince....ive always seen those d2's and wondered how good they were...they make good high end stuff never knew what to think of their springs though......

toyotavince

gear slammer
Jan 20, 2011
socal
heres my whip lowered 2".

p1666306_1.jpg

p1666306_2.jpg