Low compression. Compression test and leak down results.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Compression checked. Done with compression tester from O'reily's Auto parts. Engine warmed up to operating temperature.

1 - 120psi
2 - 140psi
3 - 135psi
4 - 135psi
5 - 140psi
6 - 140psi

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matco cylinder leakage tester. I test all cylinders twice. Engine warmed up to operating temperature.

1 - 9% I test this cylinder 3 times with the same results.
2 - 1% I tested this cylinder four different times cause it was too close to 0. I alternated from #1 cylinder back to this one when I tested it.
3 - 5%
4 - 5%
5 - 4%
6 - 3%

All air leaking from each cylinder was coming out of the crank ventilation ports. Blowing by the rings.
I need to pull the engine and re-ring it. I have a friend that has a flex hone that I can use. I hope that fixes it. That's unless I have broken ringlands again. Just thought I'd share with you guys.

mark1987supra

work in progress
May 26, 2008
Des Moines
Besides cylinder # 1 the compression test #'s look pretty good compared to each other(I don't remember the speck of the top of my head.) I know several 1000+hp 2jz that all have some leakage into the crankcase, & I do myself.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I wonder if # traditionally leaks down more than others, due to the timing belt tensioner bolt pulling on the cylinder wall.
It's been reported as causing an out-of-round cylinder.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
As far as leakdown test goes cylinders 2-6 look good. #1 raises concern being close to the 10-15% leakage problem area. TSRM states compression numbers for a healthy motor would be 158psi and up. 128psi being the lowest, and anything under is a problem. I know 9% leakage isn't good, especially the amount of air coming out of the crankcase ventilation ports. I was keeping an eye on the radiator to see if any bubbles were present. I didn't see any.

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
I know when I checked my compression it was holding 159-162 psi in all cylinders. I tested 3 times with the same results. This was done 1 year or so after the rebuild was completed.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
mark1987supra;1947912 said:
I know several 1000+hp 2jz that all have some leakage into the crankcase, & I do myself.

All engines have a small percentage of leakage past the rings. That's normal. Big horsepower turbo engines have to run larger ring gaps than what factory specs call for. If not their rings can bind under heavy load and break ringlands.