Loud clicking from Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
Hey, I've looked all over and I can't seem to find a fix for this. I have an 87 supra with basic upgrades, like 550cc RC injectors, 60-1 ct26, AFPR. The regulator makes a really loud clicking noise though when the engine is running. I'm running the stock fuel pump and pulsation dampener, but no longer are running the j-tube. Fuel pressure is 30psi at idle with vacuum line connected and 42psi disconnected. The fpr is mounted to the driver side shock tower (because most everyone mounts it there). It is definitely coming from the FPR though, because when I put my hand on it, I can feel it clicking. The clicking sounds a lot like those electronic fuel pumps they used on old carbureted cars. Anyway, if you guys know anything that would be helpful to get rid of the sound, I am all ears (no pun intended).

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
No, the car runs great. I just hate that clicking noise. I guess I could make bushings for it or something. I ran the fuel pump without the engine running and it is dead silent. I think the pulsing of the injectors are what piss it off. The gauge is stable (but that is probably due to the fact that it is liquid filled). Are there better fprs out there that don't make an annoying clicking noise?

Bmettie

Apr 27, 2010
Florida
A little far fetched but are you sure its not the tems actuator doing something funky? If you can feel it in the regulator it might be. Unplug it, it may be in left field but I've spent countless hours diagnosing something that wasn't broken, so check the stupid stuff first is what I do now.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
if it ain't broke don't mess with it
if you're really that worried just go ahead and buy an aromotive like you said the car runs awesome so Id leave I alone

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Worth opening it up and check the diaphragm, knockoffs usually have a cheap nasty one that can be replaced with a genuine part.
(only moving part in there so the only thing that might click)

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Well, that is definitely worth checking. Does it matter that these are firing batch like stock? I'm running AEM but the injectors are still wired up where they fire in pairs.