Lots of blue smoke/misfire/ turbo?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
That's why I keep repeating, "We'll need to wait for compression, or leakdown test."
It would really help us to know what's going on internally first. It's free to do, and will give you vital engine information.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
Nick M;2043324 said:
He asked for a guess.

Grandavi;2043328 said:
If he did I missed it. Not important though

yes. he pretty much did. that was the point of this thread. until we get the results that you all are awaiting... what else can the Supra community do but troubleshoot by hypothesizing? I don't think it's odd or laughable at all that the Supra owners reference their own personal experience and acquired knowledge to throw ideas out there for all the members to see/consider/pick apart here in the forum.

yukioda;2042882 said:
....i usualy dont like coming here for help and i searched it up and some said it could be turbo seals but the car keeps misfiring. this all happened when i changed the oil to 5w30 royal purple.Also there is strong puffs of air coming out the engine oil cap when i open it. plz help i dont know what to do, im thinking about replacing the turbo but i dont know if i should...

yukioda

Jul 2, 2014
des moines
alright well heres the results on the compression test #1) 120psi #2) 0psi #3)140psi #4)0psi #5)120 psi #6)0psi. i put oil in the #2 to see if it was the piston rings are worn but it was still at zero. im guessing need new piston rings or seals or rebuild :cry:

KKZ SupraMan

Jun 2, 2013
ohio
Grandavi;2043291 said:
lol.. all through reading this.. Im wondering... "why are people guessing?"...

Im waiting for a real compression test.. and... photos of the top of the engine would really be nice to see what the hell is going on...
Got to start from the botton up no guessing here

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think you need a boroscope now to peek into the cylinders (is that what they call it?)

Either way it definitely sounds like your Pistons are the problem... Hopefully the damage isn't too severe

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
yukioda;2042882 said:
coming here for help and i searched it up.....i dont know if i should,

Since he provided nothing more than a run on sentence with a period or two he isn't going to get much more than a guess.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If it jumped a tooth all cylinders would be effected.

Leak down test would be more useful at this stage. Kinda strange that it's only on even numbered cylinders.

As soon as I saw this thread I switched from 10w30 to 15w40 haha just incase the bad luck is being passed around hahaha. But even if he did a leak down test it would either tell rings or valves are the problem amd specifically which valve weather it be intake or exhaust. correct me if im wrong but one thing he said is he put oil in cylinder number 2 and compression stayed at 0 Psi. If it was an issue with rings wouldn't the oil seal the rings and compression would jump up? but the cylinder stayed at 0 psi so i it would mean it's a valve issue??

Something could have misfired and you bent a few valves before the engine shut off. That would explain the popping you heard when trying to start your supra unless you have an exhaust leak or a blown out exhaust mani gasket. could also explain why it couldn't start, could also explain why your compression numbers are at zero.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Seems to me that (if doing it yourself) the head first would be wise. Its easier.. because the engine is a simple pull with the head off.
Personally, I would be doing a full rebuild at this point anyway. Do it right and peace of mind later. (well.. that IS what I did.. lol)

Especially if you weren't sporting a MHG prior.

yukioda

Jul 2, 2014
des moines
just an update , i checked to see if the head bolts were loose at 50lbs and some of them were, so i retorqued all of them to 80lb. i put all the parts back together turned it on and had a problem with cylinder number 2. i did the spark plug pull thingy where you pull the spark plugs to see which one changes or dosent change when the cars on. so only number 2 didnt change when it misfiring or rough idling. as it is about to shut off , it makes some bov noise somewhere on the left side of the engine, then it idles back on . the car did take a while to turn on at 1st start id say 20 sec,the timeing looked good and there werent any tooth missing from the belt. im about to do an oil change to mobile 1 10w30 to see if it changes anything.But im waiting to see if it is worth doing so. And if it is not ill just have to take the head off.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Leakdown test would show you where the air is escaping. That would tell you what's wrong with your engine. Youtube how to do a leakdown test, and have at it. You'll be a pro after watching a couple of vids. If you don't have a leak down tester you can use the hose from the compression tester, but you'd have to remove the Schrader valve first! Failure to remove the Schrader valve will result in a damaged hose. Youtube has vids on that too.
What you're trying to do is find out where the air is leaking out. If you have any question after becoming a pro from Youtube feel free to ask us.

Do not attempt to band aid it any more. Do not drive it anymore. Find out what's wrong with it first.

yukioda

Jul 2, 2014
des moines
hey guys , i found the problem. i took off the heads and piston number 2 has a crack or melted hole in it. it has a small hole where the top of the exhuast valves would be. i assume it was hitting the exhaust valves. and now i am wondering if i should rebuild the engine or just get a new one.all the other cylinders are good but 2. my friend said it would be easier to drop in a new engine and he said the piston walls might be messed up cuz of the heat. what should i do? rebuild or get a new engine? what would be easier and how much would the cost be? i didnt check the valves yet but ill update later. the head gaskets good.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
yukioda;2044580 said:
hey guys , i found the problem. i took off the heads and piston number 2 has a crack or melted hole in it. it has a small hole where the top of the exhuast valves would be. i assume it was hitting the exhaust valves. and now i am wondering if i should rebuild the engine or just get a new one.all the other cylinders are good but 2. my friend said it would be easier to drop in a new engine and he said the piston walls might be messed up cuz of the heat. what should i do? rebuild or get a new engine? what would be easier and how much would the cost be? i didnt check the valves yet but ill update later. the head gaskets good.

A melted hole is usually from running lean. (at least to the best of my knowledge which isn't huge.. lol)

Pictures?