Loose Windows

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
Well, my door window are both loose(plenty of side-to-side play). Sometimes when I roll them up or down they scrape something inside the door. I took the inside door panel off to get a peak but I didn't see anything out of place... I have noticed this on a number of MKIII's but no one really knows how to fix it. Anybody else have this problem??
BTW, I HAVE SEARCHED. The only similar thread I came across was this one..(which came to a dead end)
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28143&highlight=loose+window
Thanks

Fernando

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
You know- I made adjustments to both of mine, and I also replaced the felt guides with new dealer parts, but still have way too much in/out play to mine. I gave up.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The #1 issue with side to side travel in the window is the inner and outer sheet metal of the door spreading... Typically this is due to people opening and closing the door by pushing on or pulling at the window.

New felt guides help, but only if what I just mentioned isn't the true problem.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I have heard of people using the soft side of a piece of Velcro you can buy at the store on the old worn out felt pads instead of buying new ones with pretty good results.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The felt covered guides are adjustable. If they're adjusted all the way out the opening has spread and band-aiding it is probably going to cause sealing issues when rolled up... ask me how I know. ;)

The felt guides used in newer Toyota's are really nice though... haven't found any that'll drop right in yet though. They're spring loaded in addition to the standard adjustment. This way they maintain pressure, but if the window is pressed against the felt guides flex reducing stress on the door itself.

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
CRE Good to see that your already looking at possible new alternatives to these guides. To keep our Supras on the road this type of forward thinking is imperative.
I hope parts as a whole remain available, however I as most all of you are seeing items disappear from Dealerships. NAPA has even been getting shorter on parts for this car.

I hope you soon find those spring loaded felt guides, sounds like a nice upgrade, please keep us posted.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I've never opened or closed my doors by the glass, and hardly ever is there someone in the passenger seat, yet they're both worn equally. Gotta inspect it more thoroughly though, to see where things are going wrong.

Edit- Just had a thought- if the windows themselves are pressing against the frame too hard, then the glass itself would be widening the door metal- maybe that's what's happening in my case.

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
Sorry for bumping nearly a yr old thread. I'm having same kind of problem & this was the earlest thread I found related to it via searching.

CRE- Any luck finding those newer guides? Supraguy- Did you get the problem sorted out, If so what worked?

TIA

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
I'm gonna re, re-hash this thread. My windows have been doing the same thing and it's been driving me nuts. I have tried to adjust the windows, adjusted the felt pads, nothing worked. Today, I removed everything inside the door and found the source of the problem. Only problem is...I have absolutely no idea how to fix it.

The problem lies in the scissor mechanism. In the middle of the scissor mechanism, there is what appears to be a bushing but it's really hard to tell. The connection at the middle of the scissors is the problem. I did not attempt to take it apart tonight as I had to re install the window due to rain overnight.

A search revealed that this is a common problem but I couldn't find anyone who actually pulled it apart to figure it out. SO... does anyone have any idea how to tighten the connection at the middle of the scissor mechanism? Anyone know how it comes apart? Does the bushing need to be replaced or is there another way?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Bushing wears. Would be possible to find soemthing that will work in it's place, or to make a new one. Usual repair is to replace the regulator as a whole (not cheap).

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I've got the window parts (grommets/washers, etc) I listed in some other thread. Once the weather gets a bit cooler, I'll get to fixin' mine and post a writeup/results. I do think that the rattle is a sum of a bunch of different worn/misadjusted pieces rather than 1 simple adjustment/part.

I could likely do this in an evening or afternoon, but I Dynamated the heck out of my doors and it will take some extra effort to get to everything.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
Satan;1616184 said:
I've got the window parts (grommets/washers, etc) I listed in some other thread. Once the weather gets a bit cooler, I'll get to fixin' mine and post a writeup/results. I do think that the rattle is a sum of a bunch of different worn/misadjusted pieces rather than 1 simple adjustment/part.

I could likely do this in an evening or afternoon, but I Dynamated the heck out of my doors and it will take some extra effort to get to everything.

ill be waiting...

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
^^^I did all that, replaced the rollers, felt pads.....I still have the problem. Last resort is to replace the regulators, I will do that when more funds are available.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yeah, I have a feeling that the only real fix is to find a way to close the gap between inner and out shells.
The two halves just seem to widen up from time and pressure. I think the regulator is a source of looseness as well, but not a complete cure. My windows never actually rattle, because they are either completely up or completely down most o the time. And by completely down, i mean that I lower them all the way, then raise them like 1/2 inch so that the top of the window is held by the weatherstrip.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
Hi All,

I'm going to revive this again... I have a different problem that I cannot figure out how to resolve. I have front to back slop on my driver's door meaning I can push the front down a bit and life it up same on the back.. What would cause this? I've tried several times to figure it out. Is it the regulator being worn?