looking to get into a mk3 supra

pricklepuss178

Aug 8, 2013
Holiday, Fl
ive been thinking about getting a supra for some years now and thought about if i get one will i have it as a DD or a weekend cruiser. i know that i want a turbo 7m and planned on keeping it a 7m and not doing a 1j or 2j swap. so i just wanted to know are there and Cons to owning a supra?

chevyguyjoe

Mar 4, 2014
Ft. Madison, IA
Yes. A mkiii is going to be between 23 and 29 years old. Aide from the obvious head gasket issue, there are other small issues that are likely to nickel and dime you to death. Parts are not as readily available as you might hope them to be. But if you like working on cars, it can be done. I have daily driven mine at various times. One of those times was in the winter. Ill say it right now. Summer tires in the snow meant getting to work late sometimes. Ive also daily driven it in the summer with the ac broken. That sucks too, as i have black vinyl seats.

Thats my experience at least.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
In regards to the 7M:
The headgaskets have a known problem. They are under-torqued from the factory, so blowing HGs (headgaksets) is very common. The easiest, simplest way to resolve the problem is to replace it with an OEM Toyota HG, and use ARP head studs instead of factory head bolts. Torque them to 75 ft-lbs instead of the 54 ft-lbs specified in the factory service manual.

Other than the HG problem, most problems are primarily due to the cars age (23-29 years old), and the fact that most of them have been modified/abused a great deal.

Pretty much any rubber part in the engine bay will need to be replaced in the engine bay if it's original, expect oil leaks and various other small problems. Make sure the cooling system has good, clean, quality coolant in it. If the car has been modified, the turbo's lifespan is probably significantly reduced. Underhood wiring (if original) is probably very crispy and weak. If the wiring is modified expect it to be worse.

pricklepuss178

Aug 8, 2013
Holiday, Fl
well i love the cars and wouldn't mind doing the routine maintenance on it but Ive come across ones for sale like this.

"1990 Toyota supra turbo 5 speed, has a slight rod knock or bad crank balancer at 2500, has a precision turbo with 40 mm waste gate,550cc injectors, aftermarket manifold,race clutch full exhaust,aftermarket inter cooler,front leather seats,ebiach lowering springs,new fuel pump, aftermarket wheels,needs work straight body car has no ac PS rear seat or radio 1700 obo "

Attachments

• 01414_j5NtZZdemfn_600x450.jpg
    01414_j5NtZZdemfn_600x450.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 00r0r_hukdC9BcWt5_600x450.jpg
    00r0r_hukdC9BcWt5_600x450.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 00f0f_br1gQRneCw_600x450.jpg
    00f0f_br1gQRneCw_600x450.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 36

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
That $1700 car will cost more in the long run than a nice clean car to start with. IMO You must be looking at different body picks than I see. If they look bad in pics just wait to see in person. Cars that look good can still be bad in person. You live in Florida, you need ac. Supra's are very hot with out A/C. Driving with no PS is flat out dangerous for street driving. IMO. If you have the money for car and engine work you have the money for a better starting point. Look for clean low mileage stock un modded car IMO.. Good luck.

pricklepuss178

Aug 8, 2013
Holiday, Fl
00t0t_1kJhM77oyLT_600x450.jpg00i0i_20wesB1ON12_600x450.jpg00w0w_bA2n1iBfGFt_600x450.jpg00x0x_9NNvbvZr8bd_600x450.jpg00z0z_cOPPrDXiGDz_600x450.jpg01010_dO8CksRjZIZ_600x450.jpgwell ill be looking at a $4600 starting point at first. and was also checking this one out but it says it has oil leaking.

"I have a 89 supra with the 7m-gte. Im looking to sell or trade for something reliable and mainly 5 speed. The car was rebuilt by last owner with almost everything new. It currently has a vacuum leak problem and it makes the idle rough and jumpy. It has a gt45 turbo with 3.5" fender exit exhaust done by all boost production, stock computer, 440cc injectors, mishimoto fmic (front mount intercooler), mishimoto oil cooler, stage 1 clutch, w58 transmission, an hks bov, kyb struts with h&r lowering springs, and 18x9.5 wheels

The cons to the car is it has an oil leak from the oil pan gasket, and leaks slightly from the tail of the tranny

Other than that the car is solid on 8 psi of boost... smokes slightly from turbo

It is fs or ft feel free to call or text.. thank you "

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
pricklepuss178;2034450 said:
View attachment 75176View attachment 75175View attachment 75177View attachment 75178View attachment 75179View attachment 75180well ill be looking at a $4600 starting point at first. and was also checking this one out but it says it has oil leaking.

"I have a 89 supra with the 7m-gte. Im looking to sell or trade for something reliable and mainly 5 speed. "

This part of the ad may say it all as far as I'm concerned, as the owner pretty much admits up front that this vehicle is something less than reasonably reliable. That's most assuredly not where someone new to Supra's will want to start their relationship with one (I can tell you that from personal experience with one). I myself would definitely keep looking for something a little closer to stock, well cared for, and less likely to have to be figured out just to know exactly what the past owners have done to the wiring and other systems. They're out there, just be patient to find the right one and choose wisely.

Supra's are like redheads... they can be fun and exciting, but my o' my they tend to be high maintenance.

pricklepuss178

Aug 8, 2013
Holiday, Fl
well there are other mk3s for sale around me but some have a 1j, 2j or are non turbo. but maybe a non turbo model might be good for me to start off in and if i still want a turbo i could always build the motor.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Like I suggested, just take your time and do your research before you pull the trigger on one. The good ones are more difficult to find but you'll be much better off in the long run if you don't have to spend half your time and all your cash just repairing what other owners have done. Keep an eye out here and on some other forums for a decent quality Supra, and welcome to our collective insanity.

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
Save your money until you have enough to buy quality. Otherwise you might find yourself chasing a ghost with your head firmly in your hands.

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
Be patient and buy an unmodded car. I just spent a few weeks with a customers car that he overpaid for because it was modded (turbonetics bolt on turbo, 3 inch exhaust, 550s, etc). I had to put an engine and harness in it, as well as clean up no less than 20 different little issues that one of the previous owners caused with the mods they "installed". Bottom line is, the poor guy is into a $2500-3000 car for over 5K now.

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
The stock 1jzgte makes 280hp at the crank. Stock 1uzfe makes 250-260 depending on year. The main difference is that the 1uz makes 200lb-ft of its 260lb-ft of torque at 900ish rpm.

Both engines are extremely well built. I have seen 1uz motors with over 500k on them. My SC400 has almost 300k on it and runs like it's new.

Replacement 1uz parts and complete engines are readily available. You rarely find bad ones in junkyards. That being said, they don't have nearly the aftermarket support that the JZ has.

On the flip side, 1jz engines and parts aren't as readily available having never been produced for the us market. Their power potential is much higher due the insane aftermarket support.

pricklepuss178

Aug 8, 2013
Holiday, Fl
alright nicely put easily understandable. so with that said i may stay away from the 1uz only because id like to have the more options for aftermarket parts. and Ive seen the vvti engines are they just the lexus 1j and 2j?

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
The 1uz has 3 generations: ( years vary by car)

1st gen - 90 to 95/96 250hp
2nd gen - 95/96 to 97 260hp
3rd gen - 98 to 00 290hp (VVTi)

As far as the jz engines, the 1jz went VVTi in the mid 90s, and iirc went single turbo with the vvti change. The 2jz went VVTi in 97ish, but kept its twin turbo setup. Unlike the 1uz, the jz VVTi engines pretty much keep the same power level as their non VVTi counterpart. I welcome a jz expert to check my facts, I'm basing my jz info off my terrible memory.