looking to get into a mk3 supra

Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Are you very mechanically inclined? Do you want boost? We need more info about your goals and budget.

MKIII's are very cool cars, double wishbone suspension, disc brakes all around, power everything. Have the unique 80's look. I love mine but be prepared to do some wrenching/spending regardless of the engine choice.

pricklepuss178

Aug 8, 2013
Holiday, Fl
i do want boost and i would like to rebuild a 7m from the ground up and would like to get it pushing 500-550hp with upgraded drive train. I do plan on going to school for mechanics within the year so i want a mk3 just to have as a DD from home and school then after school was done build it up, but after engine was all done then id want to work on other areas of the car. But i want to keep it a 7m cause i figured that parts for the 1jz and 2jz were more expense to get.

Last edited:

TrqMnstr

HKS Whore!!!
Oct 31, 2005
Los Angeles, California, United States
Honestly speaking, I have an '89 that I got years ago. It was bone stock and was in great condition. I daily drove it for a whole year when I got it then I wrecked it being a jackass. Fixed it drove it again and drove it for another year and again like a jackass, spun a bearing. Point is that I wasn't ready to own a MKIII. I can honestly say that I wasn't ready to own this car when I had it. It is not a car to be taken lightly. Now that a few years have past, and the car has sat, my "goals" of 500+ hp that I wanted back then have come down to a realistic stock to 320 hp. Why? Because I'm not sure I want to set speed records or hp records. I want to enjoy the car for what it is. An 80's Japanese GT touring car. In my most honest opinion, buy a stock MKIII and get a feel for it, see if you enjoy it and build your relationship with it. Never buy someone else's pipe dream. As you will never know what all has been done to it. Don't let someone else's negative experience ruin your own.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Every car you have listed is somebodies problem car they cannot fix themselves. Fixing a problematic project car is very expensive and a waste of time. I think everyone has stated the same thing. Start with a bone stock, well taken care of car. There are nice clean cars out there. Nice paint and body, clean interior and stock powertrain. It takes time to find the right car. Autotrader.com has a super clean 89' with less than 80k miles all stock with clean leather interior. Asking about $8000. Only bad thing it its an auto. The nicer car you start with the cheaper it will be in the long run. IMO. Don't start with some car the previous owner can not daily drive. An important question that you need to ask when looking at a cars. " Is there anything keeping this car from being able to be driven everyday?" IMO good luck. BTW any supra you get should be your second car. Meaning you have a reliable DD like a camry corolla or Honda. IMO

chevyguyjoe

Mar 4, 2014
Ft. Madison, IA
It can be done, but you'll have to wait a while for that price. 2 years ago i paid $3800 for my 1990 turbo 5 speed, 90,000 miles. Seller told me it was stock, except for the k&n cone filter, the exhaust, and the wheels. 10,000 miles later i blew the headgasket, tore the top end down, and i discovered the previous owner was being honest when i asked about the headgasket being replaced. He said "no". A few of the head bolts were only finger tight, as were some intake bolts. There was a stock gasket and a shim underneath. Also the timing cover was higher than the deck. Judging by the lack of carbon in the combustion chambers, id say it was done probably exactly 10,000 miles ago. Just one of those "you get what you paid for" deals. I also noticed about 6 months after i got it it has been repainted before, though i cant tell how long ago. I just wish they would have sprayed some clear as well.

Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Use part of that budget and buy a reliable Civic or something cheap as a daily(unless you already have one) then the rest for the MKIII project. IMO

pricklepuss178

Aug 8, 2013
Holiday, Fl
so after talking with the school i am planning on going to i may have to hold off on getting a supra for a little longer due to all the tools i have to buy that financial ad wont cover

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
The last supra I bought took looking at 15 plus cars 4 different states and took two years to find it. I am very happy I waited. Don't get a hurry.

pricklepuss178

Aug 8, 2013
Holiday, Fl
So as i looked around today for a mk3 i came upon this one. "Up for sale is original 7m 1991 Toyota supra. One owner bought brand new from Toyota. Original motor and transmission, runs and drives, clean tile, clean history. Has ARP head studs, HKS head gasket, HKS turbo, HKS FCD, exhaust and down pipe. Runs strong!!!"

Attachments

• 00m0m_991jOcB4DAo_600x450.jpg
    00m0m_991jOcB4DAo_600x450.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 19
  • 00o0o_kmXijtXJ6TO_600x450.jpg
    00o0o_kmXijtXJ6TO_600x450.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 00p0p_clxaMAV7NFU_600x450.jpg
    00p0p_clxaMAV7NFU_600x450.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 20
  • 00p0p_lfPHzzN5imL_600x450.jpg
    00p0p_lfPHzzN5imL_600x450.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 00Q0Q_lqec0aE9plw_600x450.jpg
    00Q0Q_lqec0aE9plw_600x450.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 00808_auDVZ8qKJre_600x450.jpg
    00808_auDVZ8qKJre_600x450.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 21

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I would have a hard time dealing with the spoiler. The seat covers and dash covers are covering up something. He drives right over top of a parking curb? Looks like car started of as a NA car. I doubt that someone would take off the rear spoiler and fill and paint the holes to do it. IMO