Looking for some educated answers

supra_fast

FN Fast
May 13, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
so heres the deal. iv owned 2 supra to date and they were both 7m turbo'd engines. my first supra sucked. my second was way better. only 70 000km on it. they both ended up with bhg, and i got rid of them shortly after. now after over a year being supraless i want another but i have told myself a 1000 times that i will never get another 7m, only go with a 1jz. now that i am in the market again im starting to second guess the 1jz thing. i searched them both up 1000 times. 7m vs 1jz??

looking for people that have delt with both engines, im want my next supra to make b/w 400-450 whp, safley and reliably. what would be the better more cost effective way. when i say cost effective i dont mean the cheap way out. probly cheap parts and easyer to find for the 7m but is it as realiabe and as easy to make my goal hp? any input would be nice.

Thanks

Travis

ps. i want a super clean car. would it be easyer to find a super clean 7m or
1j? which would be cheaper. i would perfer a lhd but will still drive a rhd.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
This question alone is a can or worms. I will keep this short. They can both be reliable if the owner takes care of them properly. I have maintained my 7M very well and it has never given me problems. It now has 240,000 km on it and stills drives great. I am planning a rebuild in the future because my power goals exceed the capabilities of the stock bottom end. I only want low 400's rear wheel but I NEED the car to be dead reliable. Therefore I will build a 550 + capable car and drive around with confidence.

Since your in Canada you have the option of a RHD import. I would never consider one because of the dangers they have associated with them. Don't believe people who tell you that they aren't. Making left turns at lights, passing cars on 2 lane roads...this shit will get you killed if you are sitting on the wrong side of the car.

Just spend the money and get a clean car. Don't buy broke down shit and try and fix other peoples problems. You will probably come out ahead by buying a properly maintained car.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
1J could be cheaper. It all depends on how the 7M was taken care of. If the 7M has excessive mileage or hasn't been well taken care of, you'll need a slightly better than stock rebuild, which could very well equal or exceed the cost of a 1JZ swap.

I'd rather have a 450hp 7M than an equivalent or slightly better 1J, personally.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
If you wanted a 7m with decent reliability for reasonably cheap, find one with a bottom end that hasn't been run to shit and put in a metal head gasket with arp studs/bolts (with the appropriate machining on the block and head) and you should have no problems running up to 350-400 at the wheels. As far as rebuild cost, the sky is the limit, it just depends how nuts you want to go.

As for a super clean car, i did things the hard way and I'm building one.

mjtoll23

almost a TT-R
Apr 14, 2007
VA
both can be nice (ive had both) and right now Im loving the 1j. But, if you arent into doing your own maintenance or fixing things as they break, then a supra in general might not be the right car. You have to expect somethings to need replacing especially when you crank up the boost.

And like Sawbladz said, dont buy someone elses problem car. Ive done it before. Cheaper is not always better, especially in modified supras!

Good luck!

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
mjtoll23;906488 said:
both can be nice (ive had both) and right now Im loving the 1j. But, if you arent into doing your own maintenance or fixing things as they break, then a supra in general might not be the right car. You have to expect somethings to need replacing especially when you crank up the boost.

And like Sawbladz said, dont buy someone elses problem car. Ive done it before. Cheaper is not always better, especially in modified supras!

Good luck!

unless you plan on swapping in a new engine! or rebuilding the 7m. i think they are both great engines - just the JZ series have the updates the 7m needs hehe

supra_fast

FN Fast
May 13, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ok! now im going to start asking some pretty noob questions but its all for the sake of learning. lol. since i dont have much experience with working on engines and what not i dont no what all this stuff means. i have searched them up but still am not definet.

what exactly is the "bottom end"?you say dont buy one that has been trashed. how do i no its its trashed or not?

this supra will not be my dd. i have 3 other vehicles that i drive to work and back and do all my other stuff. i want a fun car to drive on weekend or when i just feel like driving on a nice sunny day or whatever. so pretty much i dont need the car to be reliable at 4-450 hp everyday to work and back in stop and go traffic or in super cold/hot weather. just for recreational use!