Little black square in defrost vent..

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
What is it?! I noticed it forever ago I just kept forgetting to ask. Its on the far right side inside the recess of the defroster vent. Id take a picture but its dark. It looks like the old style infared sensors for remote locks.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Longer answer: when that sensor has direct sunlight on it, the climate control system will direct more air to the upper vents to cool you off. The MKIII Supra has one of the best climate control systems ever made. Considering the years they were made, they had features you couldn't find on a lot of high dollar luxury cars produced during the same era.

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
Wow. That is incredible. Gosh I swear I love this car more and more everyday. Toyota really wanted to do some amazing things with this car. I really wish I could have been around when it came out.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Oh, and if the little plastic hood comes off of that thing it really sucks. ANY amount of daylight and it wants to go full bore cold...even during the winter :: angry ::

Luckily it's like $12 for the sensor.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
So how is the climate control in the mkIV? Assuming it has this feature. I'm wondering if creature comforts are improved in the newer car.

My climate control needs a new head unit I think, it's not controlling correctly and only heats up or cools off if I change the temp to one extreme or the other...the in-betweens are finicky :(

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Figit090;1570000 said:
So how is the climate control in the mkIV? Assuming it has this feature. I'm wondering if creature comforts are improved in the newer car.

The MKIV's system is about the same. But the controls are rotary, there's no digital temp readout, otherwise it functions about the same. The auto setting works well.

Figit090;1570000 said:
My climate control needs a new head unit I think, it's not controlling correctly and only heats up or cools off if I change the temp to one extreme or the other...the in-betweens are finicky :(

Might be broken solder joints on the board, corrosion, etc. It's worth opening it up to take a look.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
MKII Supra even had automatic climate control ;)

I noticed that the system can be finicky if the ambient air temp sensor gets clogged up, it's in the dash behind the passenger side trim piece (there's little slits that allow the air in).

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
Figit090;1570000 said:

You could try taking off the trim piece above your glove box to clean the temp sensor. Be very careful with the trim piece and the sensor behind it though! Mine was very dirty and cleaned up pretty nicely.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
I believe that it's behind the little holes in the grille-like thing above the glovebox. There are some random slits that I imagine let air through to the sensor, though I don't know for sure. My glovebox is out already thankfully so I'll look soon. Thanks guys!