Lightened lower control arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToySup88

Apr 8, 2005
Twin Cities
I have a extra set of front lower control arms I am thinking about lightening by making them swiss cheese (drilling lots of holes in them to remove metal).

Anyone have any words of wisdom on the safety of this? The lower control arms seem to be over-engineered with their mass and weight.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
You'd be much better off getting a race shop to build you custom units, rather than cutting holes in the stock one. I wouldn't trust it after it's been hacked up.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Seems like such a bad plan in so many ways. The amount of weight saved from "swiss-cheesing" things is so small anyways. I had a friend who did this with a mustang over a ton of areas of his car and took days and days doing it. In the end he saved a massive 3 whole pounds, LOL. Just not worth it if you ask me, especially on such a mission critical life sustaining part like that one there.

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
just looking for trouble, its bad enough to have that part even cracked, i had a small crack on my tercel once, and almost lost control cause it gave out, thank god it was slow cause i just put a new intercooler set

Status
Not open for further replies.