life sucks, im giving up on the supie

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
It sounds like the engine wasn't put together properly...you should have went and gotten more plastiguage...

I vote that you keep it...remember, these things that are happening are only the Supra testing your worthiness ;).

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Same thing on my rebuild, put it all together, and rodknock on startup.

I was pissed to say the least but Im doing everything all over again, and making sure its right this time.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
johnathan1 said:
It sounds like the engine wasn't put together properly...you should have went and gotten more plastiguage...

I vote that you keep it...remember, these things that are happening are only the Supra testing your worthiness ;).
img42.gif

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
IJ. said:
Plastigauged at final assembly?
(Clevites are notorious for being inconsistant)
Scratch clevites out of my rebuild. Im about to fix my Rodknock in the next month. Whats plastigauge anyways?

Sorry to hear about the car bro, try a 1jz engine in there... might work better for you.

This reminds me to ask, can a MINOR rod knock come and go and be confused with misfire by any chance?

This thread is starting to scare me, Im hoping my car wont give me any big problems anymore after I completly rebuild my engine, the right way.... shit...

Last edited:

89mkthree

supies ignore irish luck!
Apr 12, 2005
near chi town
i wanna say that i love the supras as much as anybody on here. if you could see the walls in my room you would beleive me. i just cant afford to be fixing this thing all the time. ive owned it for three years now and i have only had it in good running condition for 4 months. (i bought it running)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
phoenix6 said:
Scratch clevites out of my rebuild. Im about to fix my Rodknock in the next month. Whats plastigauge anyways?

Sorry to hear about the car bro, try a 1jz engine in there... might work better for you.

This reminds me to ask, can a MINOR rod knock come and go and be confused with misfire by any chance?

This thread is starting to scare me, Im hoping my car wont give me any big problems anymore after I completly rebuild my engine, the right way.... shit...

Don't get me wrong fitted correctly they're awesome bearings and have a lot going for them but require careful sizing!

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
phoenix6 said:

yeah a guy at Suprafest with a 7M in his MK2 thought he had knock when he accidentally put the boost to high, it was just a bad misfire because the porcelain on the spark plug shattered, but its unlikely.

Lino

FWD FTL!
Jul 5, 2006
Surrey, BC
89Turbo said:
yeah a guy at Suprafest with a 7M in his MK2 thought he had knock when he accidentally put the boost to high, it was just a bad misfire because the porcelain on the spark plug shattered, but its unlikely.

That was Joel. He shattered all 6 plugs. That was scary when he drove it off the dyno and it was knocking like a mad man.

silversup

Supraluva
May 25, 2005
Philly
I feel your pain man. Sometimes these cars can seem like an endless pit of taking your money. I always tell folks that whether you buy a new car or an old one you will be paying. The only thing I could do to solve the problem was to get a different car that was halfway reliable so when the sports car breaks, it can sit for as long as I am mad at it or until I have some money. But, I must say there is no feeling out there like cruising down the highway in your sports car when at that time there is nothing wrong with it and purring like a kitten. Good luck in what you choose.

PS The cheapest thing is an unmodified corolla.

89mkthree

supies ignore irish luck!
Apr 12, 2005
near chi town
lol you know i was thinking about doing the 1jz but thought it would cost to much....how wrong i was! the four months i had it running it was like sex on wheels, so one day in the future i will be coming back to the world of the MK3, i can promise you that!