Lexus IS300 thoughts?

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Recently my car's age has become more and more apparent to me from general aesthetics (maaco did a poor job) to driveability (no power steering and poor idle due to lex/560 without tune). I've been looking around lately and i've found a few 5 speed IS300's for a decent price and it's got me wondering. I've always liked the styling and the inline six RWD ploatform. Thing is if i did end up going with the IS300 i'd have to sell the supra which of course makes me a bit sad considering that the supra is much faster than a stock IS and the IS would probably need a turbo to keep up. Are the VVTI2J's really hard to slap a turbo on?
I'm trying to find a forum for IS300's but I think i've been spoiled by supramania because every one i visit isn't really any good.
Basically i'm just looking for advice. What would you do?

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
get a is300 as a daily if possible. I love is300's, def. one of my favs

if i had a choice i'd choose the 300. Do your research and be sure you can handle the expenses....

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
To the OP, I would say get in touch with Kaizen Motorsports on here, I know Jose knows his way around making a VVTI 2j fast. Could be a good source of research for you. I wouldn't mind one if I were in the market for a 4 door car, they seem pretty well sorted, just a bit down on power for the weight.

Also, the birdcage light being on in your avatar at full boost makes me a bit worried. :p

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
I've been thinking these last few days. I think i'd probably miss "going fast" a lot so i'm trying to think of if having a newer nicer car would outweigh being considerably slower. Also i think i'd lean toward an automatic as opposed to a 5 speed because lets not kid ourselves, the is300 isn't really a quick car without a turbo and it would be a long time before i could really do any of that.
Thing is the supra has been really pretty reliable for me almost every single day these last four years i've had it. Just things keep happening here and there to make it just a bit more shitty to look at every day and it would cost a considerable amount of money to make it in the image that i would like it to be. Hmmmm...

TrqMnstr

HKS Whore!!!
Oct 31, 2005
Los Angeles, California, United States
Why not consider buying a decent looking beater. I'm buying a 93 nissan hardbody tonight for $800. Friend drove it out here from Arizona with no issues so I know I shouldn't have any problems with it. It's a known reliable vehicle which I don't intend to modify any time soon. Now I can keep my MKIII and 510 and focus on modifying those two. From personal experience modifying the daily can get really tricky sometimes. Food for thought.

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
TrqMnstr;1761961 said:
From personal experience modifying the daily can get really tricky sometimes. Food for thought.

From my "how to live with a Supra" post, "don't modify your daily, that's what your toy/project is for." ;)

Justin727

T-virus infected
the VVTI 2j's are just like any other jz engine when it comes to slapping on the turbo. It's what you'll be using to tune it with. Mostly stand alone simply because it's an OBDII car and the stock ecu will fight back and eventually relearn itself with piggy backs installed rendering them useless. There's a good how to on my is on the swap. I love my IS but I'm wanting to get back into a 2 door something for a DD so I'm looking to trade it for a 1j swapped SC 5speed.

But it's been a damn reliable DD. Be sure to do the timing belt when it needs to be done because it will bend the valves

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Thanks for the replies. After talking to a lot of people, including a GTE swap IS owner, I've decided to keep my car and get winter beater/daily. I've put too much time and money into the supra for me to just sell it.

Justin727

T-virus infected
Greatdestroyer187;1764762 said:
I heard u can drop a LSD from a mk3 in a is300 and swiftracing.com makes a serious turbo kit for em if u end up goin that route

The internals yes as the n/a guys like the 4.30. Boost logic does too both really nice kits. But if you know what you're doing you can piece together a kit at half the cost or do the 2jzgte vvti at about the same.