Lexus AFM and air filter...? help...

Winger

Sep 18, 2007
logan
Just bought my first supra last night. I don't know too much about the car, or cars at all in that manner. So this may be a weird question. I popped the hood and i noticed that he had the lexus AMF put in. However, is there suppose to be an air filter attached to the end of the amf? I will post pictures later to explain more if this doesn't make sense.

Attachments

• supraengine.JPG
    supraengine.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 97

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
well yeah there is supposed to be some type of filter for the intake like a apexi or hks or something

i assume thats what you mean right?

Winger

Sep 18, 2007
logan
Yeah, there appears to be no filter at all attached to the end of the amf. There isn't much room left in the corner there for one. What is the best filter to buy that is pretty small?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Ouch, you bought that and are admitting to having no idea about anything? Unfortunately I see a lot of very expensive pain in your future.

Oh, and unless AMF is a new acronym I'm not aware of, it's AFM you want. :)

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
well you really want a air filter on there

and as far as fitment there should be enough room for a filter because plenty of people are running the lexus afm with a air filter (i don't know exactly because i don't have one but i thought it was the same length as the stock 7m-gte afm just the lexus is larger in diameter)

but i mean if for some reason there isn't much room but i don't see why there shouldn't be you could get like a greddy type air filter even thought they aren't very good but it has that mushroom shape

and yeah i assumed he was talking about the afm haha

Vector89T

stickerdave.com
Aug 21, 2005
Lafayette, LA
Unfortunately your included picture does not really assist us in identifying if what we think your question is really what you're asking. Since you've openly admitted to not knowing much about the car, or any cars, are you sure it's a Lexus AFM?

If it is either a stock or a Lexus AFM there should not be any fittiment issue with any air filter setup that is designed to work with the stock AFM. The Lexus AFM is not any longer, and if it is the difference is negligible, just bigger in diameter. I know the K&N FIPK bolts right to it with the included adapter. Any of the other intakes designed for the stock AFM should bolt right up.

Running without an air filter can have major drawbacks. You'll accelerate damage to the turbocharger, as well as the rest of the engine when you start sucking in dirt and dust from the road.

Next time you’re looking for some advice and want to include a picture, please include a picture of the area in question. Your picture has the same effect as if I had e-mailed my doctor a picture of my foot and asked him about this rash on my arm.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Yeah, the stock K&N FIPK fits it.

Your picture of the AFM and filte would be better if you actually took a picture of the AFM and filter.

Winger

Sep 18, 2007
logan
Thanks for the comments. I will be posting a new picture asap. Those pictures were taken by the guy that I bought the car from, and didn't show the afm. I have heard that some people drill into the front end a bit to place larger filters, with a better picture you can see what i am talking about.

Winger

Sep 18, 2007
logan
Here are the pictures...should help alot.

Attachments

• supra lexus afm 002.jpg
    supra lexus afm 002.jpg
    608.5 KB · Views: 36
  • supra lexus afm 001.jpg
    supra lexus afm 001.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 41
  • supra lexus afm 003.jpg
    supra lexus afm 003.jpg
    608.6 KB · Views: 30

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Yikes. Don't even start the car. I wouldn't have bought it based on that fact alone. No air filter= ANYTHING getting sucked into the motor/turbo, etc... :(

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Yes get an air filter kit designed for the stock turbo supra. Looks like you got some nice parts with the car. Get a air filter asap.

Winger

Sep 18, 2007
logan
Yeah, bad. I have it parked now and just ordered a new k&n filter for it. i had it dropped straight to my door so thank goodness i never drove it too far. The engine rebuild has less than 300 miles on it, so hopefully nothing is screwed so far.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
seems like that intercooler pipe might get in the way not 100% sure on that though just kind of looks like it from the picture

Winger

Sep 18, 2007
logan
Yeah, it might. could be a pain. I got the K&N 57-9004 FIPK filter that i just ordered. I will have to figure out a way to get it in there. Anyone know the dimensions of the filter?

Vector89T

stickerdave.com
Aug 21, 2005
Lafayette, LA
You'll be fine with the FIPK. Definitely leave it parked till the filter shows up. Want to preserve that 300 mile engine. :) Looks like you got some toys under the hood, should be a fun ride.

Welcome to the forums. :)

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
This is my Lexus with a $10 Driftmotion filter. It does touch the front panel, but is not too bad.

p1154755_1.jpg

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Winger;1153540 said:
Yeah, it might. could be a pain. I got the K&N 57-9004 FIPK filter that i just ordered. I will have to figure out a way to get it in there. Anyone know the dimensions of the filter?

P1010254.JPG