Lexus 2jzge swap?

Bulkierzero

Jan 14, 2012
Rosemount,MN
Theres a lexus 2jzge vvti out of a 03 is300 for sale locally. and im very interested into doing a swap in my 88 supra . I was just wondering if this would be possible to achieve. I have not seen anyone with that setup and im kinda confused on why because you can get these engines very cheap.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The VVTi seems to be an annoying hurdle to get past, plus the block isn't as strong, so people tend not to go for them (as most people are going to boost a 2J)

AquaX

Sep 5, 2011
Cambridge
TalxfNY.jpg

I did it, you will want to ditch the is300 ecu since it has an immobilizer and run a standalone (megasquirt is great on a budget) or find a aristo ecu with out the immobilizer and repin it.

The second thing you need to address is the fuel rail, either swap one from an older sc or get the drill and tap out so you can add a return line fitting.

Third: is300 DBW throttle body will not work so you need to get the older sc y pipe and throttle body, I am in the process of fabricating my own y pipe that goes to the intake plenum with a q45 throttle body flange.

Fourth: Is300 uses front sump oil pan, you will want a rear sump, I used one from a 1jzgte I also have one for sale.

There are other small things that I may be forgetting, I plan on making a more detailed build thread when I finish the swap. I've given my self until early May to get the project finished, this project has been going on for about 16 months so far, but there were times where I changed my mind and didn't know what engine I was going to use. Also not to mention I'm doing more then just a swap more like a full restore, new paint, suspension, bushings, subframe blasted, new hubs and wheel studs control arms, full interior needs to be taken care of etc... the list goes on!

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I don't really see the purpose of a 2jzge swap period (IMO) of course. Unless you're going to NA-T it and by then it's so much better in term of peace of mind, less hassle, to just do the GTE swap from the first place. Plus the block is better initially too. 7MGTE > 2JZGE any day.

AquaX

Sep 5, 2011
Cambridge
don't tell the man there's not point, hes asking how to get it in not if its a good idea. Maybe he just wants the 2jz? The sound alone is worth the swap and the reliability, on the plus side once you get it all figured out replacement is300 motor is cheap or you can add 2jzgte pistons and rods (100-150 used on ebay) and have a stout block.

AquaX

Sep 5, 2011
Cambridge
aka paco;1918028 said:
I would think a obd1 2jzge would be much easier and better in the long run...
easier yes, better no because if you build a standalone you'll be set for tuning ;) also the obd1 2jzge use a distributor that gets in the way of turbo setups

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
AquaX;1918037 said:
don't tell the man there's not point, hes asking how to get it in not if its a good idea. Maybe he just wants the 2jz? The sound alone is worth the swap and the reliability, on the plus side once you get it all figured out replacement is300 motor is cheap or you can add 2jzgte pistons and rods (100-150 used on ebay) and have a stout block.

What what? 7M sounds better :p

AquaX

Sep 5, 2011
Cambridge
lol you guys are crazy, i had a 7mgte it didn't sound bad at all but to say it sounds better then a 2jz is just crazy. Everyone has there own opinions though

AquaX

Sep 5, 2011
Cambridge
yes I recommend buying a megasquirt 3 kit its the easiest and fastest way to get the swap running with vvti. I'm using megasquirt 2 its a bit more of a challenge I'm not 100% sure if my vvti will work rite away, but I plan on getting 2jzgte cams and cam gears later on eliminating it.

AquaX

Sep 5, 2011
Cambridge
the vvti throttle body is electronic so no, if you want to use an older sc tb you need to use the sc y pipe too. You could just weld a q45 flange on the y pipe and use the q45 tb like I'm doing.