Let's talk A/C Condensers !!

THMotorsports

SM,

I am trying to find a good deal on a condenser for my 91' Supra.

So far..... I know that I can order a American Condenser unit for $202 SHIPPED but.... I keep running across a DENSO 477-0136 Condenser. This unit is listed for the 87' Supra only. WHY!? I thought they were all the same (different fan configurations aside) 86.5 to 92?

Can anyone enlighten me here? :1zhelp:

Thank you.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
The only differences are the brackets. Some condensers have a different line configuration and didn't have a pusher fan. Either could probably work fine but the bottom left side may have/be missing brackets that need to be modified.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
there was a pretty good thread on the condenser but i can't find it, thought I saved it

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
It has to do with direct fit. Since the routing of the pipes is somewhat different between years(86-87, then 88-92), so the mounting points for some of the adel clamps is different. Most notably the receiver/drier mounting points.

I went with an American Condenser parallel flow unit. It was supposed to be a drop in fit but it required a fair amount of adjustment and tweaking to get it right. I knew it was an issue but was willing to deal with it to get a parallel flow unit. A Denso unit, if you can find the right year, would probably get it right, and be easier to install. But you really do need get one with the proper year range. The piping has the same entry point between the years, so could be made to work in a pinch. But none of the pipes would be able to be properly mounted and secured.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Dirgle;1957481 said:
It has to do with direct fit. Since the routing of the pipes is somewhat different between years(86-87, then 88-92), so the mounting points for some of the adel clamps is different. Most notably the receiver/drier mounting points.

I went with an American Condenser parallel flow unit. It was supposed to be a drop in fit but it required a fair amount of adjustment and tweaking to get it right. I knew it was an issue but was willing to deal with it to get a parallel flow unit. A Denso unit, if you can find the right year, would probably get it right, and be easier to install. But you really do need get one with the proper year range. The piping has the same entry point between the years, so could be made to work in a pinch. But none of the pipes would be able to be properly mounted and secured.

The parallel flow condensor I got from American fit perfect. Do not go with the stock/serpentine design. Parallel flow is more efficient (especially for R134).

Search for "Operation chill".... Been awhile, but I used a PF condensor (American made a one-off for me, then started to keep more on the shelf - I almost started a group buy). I remember maybe somewhat of a write up, with temp results at the vent.

Good luck!

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
38.jpg

ahh thanks satan

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Thread is here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?94095-A-C-upgrades-(R134)-Operation-Chill

I have a serpentine condenser sitting here in a box that's never been used or installed. Bought it years ago, but it's the old style =/

Anyway, the part number was P39293P. It was updated to 1039293 from the searching I've done, and here's where I see you can buy them: http://theacpartsonline.com/11929 - KP39293P (or of course direct from American Condensers).

Looks like they don't even make the old style condenser anymore!

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Thanks for resurrecting this. I am in the process of recharging the A/C system now (after the latest rebuild). The old Aristo compressor locked up and I got a new one. Other than that, system has been as cold as I like (unless sitting in Texas 100+ degree Sun for 8+ hours... Then it takes awhile longer before it gets cold enough to put on low/med). Radiant heat is a bitch.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
nice thanks for the info my ac is cold but im still running the original condenser, as far as i know it has never been replaced so this is good to know

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
Poodles;1957548 said:
Thread is here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?94095-A-C-upgrades-(R134)-Operation-Chill

I have a serpentine condenser sitting here in a box that's never been used or installed. Bought it years ago, but it's the old style =/

Anyway, the part number was P39293P. It was updated to 1039293 from the searching I've done, and here's where I see you can buy them: http://theacpartsonline.com/11929 - KP39293P (or of course direct from American Condensers).

you dont happen to have a spare compressor laying around? im looking for one locally but dont wanna buy a brand new one just yet (tapped out on my trans build at the moment)

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
thanks for the reply nonetheless. off to loop12 and davis/jefferson to junk yard heaven now. im not too optimistic but theres a guy in indianna thatll sell me one 75 shipped, i just want one quicker than that if i can help it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Real Denso A/C compressor is only $200... Up to you what you want to do, but you should be serious about your A/C in Texas :)

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
oh, im very serious. i was gonna do r12 but junk yard wasnt all that bad to me tho. i had to swap out my clutch from my other comp but all is very well.

"only" $200 isnt "only" when you just spent over a grand on a trans build, lol

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
rakkasan;1958056 said:
Glad the A\C came up again, I'm about to tackle mine as well. Is there a part number for the PF American unit?

Ahem...

Poodles;1957548 said:

HeWhoOvercomes

Vrooom VROOOM
Apr 23, 2011
The Corner of Happy & Healthy
Hey...sorry to bump this. What's the difference between the 86.5 (don't know exactly when they switched) condenser and those used for the subsequent years? I'm looking on TheACParts.com and there are two different part #'s, 1039292 (86.5) and 1039293 (the rest).