Leecheater's rebuild, getting there

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Jetpower,thanks for the compliment. I have waited to post because I have been impatiently waiting for the new exhaust housing for the turbo. Comp really took their sweet time sending it out. Spool valve sold, spacer machined by local shop, so we are ready to put her back together again. Tonight Sean and I put the 2JZ on the engine stand and started assembly. The intake manifold, motor mounts and coils are pretty much set. Now that Sean has a job fabricating h/p race car parts and cages, we have easy access to a TIG welder, so a few of the things we have been meaning to do will now get done (dip stick bracket). Hope to hear the 2JZ fire up again in a couple of days. We should have her back in the Supra tomorrow evening with a bit of luck.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Last night Sean drove the Supra to his place and took her to work today. 40 miles on the new rebuild now. We have a couple of minor oil leaks and a soft exhaust leak. Still putting stuff back together. It has been a real challenging summer. I plan to have her broke in by freeze up and this winter work on interior and get some minor paint work done.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
We have the minor leaks fixed. I took her for a drive tonight with my wife. Surprising she didn't bitch too much. Really a difference driving her and the 240Z ! I do have exhaust gases getting into the cabin and have got to find the leak. Today I cleaned her up a bit on the inside. She really hasn't been driven much in over a year and it shows. Happy to say, it feels good to be behind the wheel again. Was told today that there is a meet tomorrow in Hastings, 2 hour drive but I think I may go for it.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
It's been a while since I posted here. Almost a year. I actually have been driving the Supra only a fair amount this summer. Mostly have been driving the 240Z. I have been a bit reluctant to really push the Supra because I need a tune in the worst way. I had a guy named Devin who tunes the local Subaru's tweak her a bit on Tuesday night. We added a bit more fuel as she was running a bit lean. It really helped. I now have around 750 miles on the new build and clutch. Have been running 20 lbs on the wastegate without a boost controller. She is still pretty ferocious there. I recently got my new TurboSmart 2 way manual controller in the mail. Once I have her in, plan on calling Shane at DB and getting her fine tuned. I also am looking to add a fan shroud and an oil cooler.

Recent pic of the Supra

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Nice to hear that after years of trouble you finally get to drive it a bit this season! Compared to your last couple problems needing a tune sounds like a welcome relief. Nice Z!

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Dan, if you're looking to get a fan shroud, I might have a good solution for you regarding clearance. I discovered that the 1JZ-GTE VVTi engine has a different fan should that should be compatible with JZ engines, and mates perfectly to a 7M fan and clutch. We should try the same solution on your car!

I also now have quite a bit of experience regarding the oil cooler for a JZ engine as well. It's been causing nothing but problems, but Steve has been hugely helpful and we should finally have it figured out. Give me a call/text sometime and we can discuss!

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Quin thanks for the compliment. Emilio, I appreciate the help. I went back to the stock fan set up due to cooling issues with my previous electric fan set up. It really is a hybrid set up. I have the 2JZ fan clutch mated to a 7M fan blade, with Sean's adapter. It still fits pretty tight but haven't wrecked my radiator yet, like I have previously. Once I have the fan shroud and oil cooler, it should take care of my cooling issues permanently I hope. She only gets hotter than midway up the gauge when I have been boosting her and then have to drive slow in traffic. On the highway, no problem.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Latest update: I have dropped the insurance down to comprehensive and am done driving the Supra for the season. This is the first fall in a long time that my car is actually running strong. Just need to sort out the fan shroud this winter. Probably fabricate one from sheet metal. I am still driving the 240 but with hunting season and my schedule I think her days are also numbered before I also drop her insurance to comprehensive. Really had a lot of fun with both cars this year.

Because I have one too many. Here is a pic of latest garage edition:

You can see both hoists here. I found the 4 post via a wanted to buy add on Craigslist. Almost new and less than half price.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Nice looking lift! I see a new truck too - old white one finally bid us farewell?

The offer is still on the table for the fan shroud solution, should be pretty simple to install the setup that I have in mind. :)

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Emilio, Sean bought the "beast" from me and has his welder mounted on the bed of it. She still ran well but it was time to upgrade. Had the Dodge over 10 years and a ton of fun in her. (He still has it sitting in my back yard) The 06 GMC is the LBZ version and is considered by the Duramax boys to be the best one. Only 60K on her.

I may have to take you up on the shroud offer but before that I would love to try a stock one on there again now that we put a spacer on the hybrid fan and clutch.