LED tail light designs (pics)

Kalos

Medic
Aug 16, 2008
Idaho
Hello all,

I am working on an LED tail light retrofit. I am still uncertain about the specific LED layout, so I thought I would post some photoshop ideas and see what everyone thinks. Please feel free to post other pictures or inspiration that you may have. The picture I used is from Tekdeus' build thread (I hope you don't mind, Tekdeus)....

Solid diffuse light on each side:
p1510520_1.jpg

Solid diffuse light on the sides and extending to the center section for extra width:
p1510520_2.jpg

Fully lit, diffuse tail lights:
p1510520_3.jpg

Double bar lights:
p1510520_4.jpg

Double bar from end to end:
p1510520_5.jpg

Double bar with lit center:
p1510520_6.jpg

Circles:
p1510520_7.jpg

Comments/Ideas?

I think I like the one with the bars the best so far, somewhat reminiscent of an Aston Martin...

Oh, and here's a pic of the PWM I'm working on:
p1510520_8.jpg

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
To much red. The dark lines are the "amber" turn signals?

That might be a bit to bright specialy at night.

How are you doing the headlights on/brakes dimming? resistor or PWM based?

Kalos

Medic
Aug 16, 2008
Idaho
Poodles;1510705 said:
The circles won't come out that clean.

Maybe, maybe not. Tekdeus was able to get a remarkably clear pinpoint design by placing his LEDs very close to the surface of the interior of the lenses. I think the same could be done in a circular design, and if you built an inner frame you could prevent the light from bleeding out of the circle. The thing that gives me the biggest pause when it comes to a circular design is the small, square reflector design in the center of each lens. It would take a very exact design to keep that from scattering the light.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
there is one guy on here that did the led conversion with 4 rows of leds and went inbetween the turns that looked really good. i think if you did that and incorporated the center section that would look really good.