LED JDM tail lights are finished! Lots of photos

threedguru

Self Proclaimed Mechanic
Jun 26, 2007
Texas
Awesome, I actually counted and i came up with 286 Red, 120 Amber and 36 White, Total cost is $276.00 for LEDs @ http://www.lsdiodes.com . Great place i have ordered a ton of leds from them. Looks good man. thanks for the inspiration

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Very nice Brad! Too bad your project wasn't started, say...two months earlier.:sadwavey: Well, none the less, it will be the "sicness", when it rolls out onto the streets of B.C!

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Idealsupra said:
BUT...thats the point of LEDs lol.... if you want a round blurred light use a light bulb?

You can do it so you do not see the individual leds so much. You will still see the individual small blur. You'd want the lights to show a uniform pattern and not, so much light and then the dark spot between the leds.

I used to for a Electronic company and one of the departments used to design the electronics for the Police, ambulance and other emergency lighting products.
We were able to do it....even made the led lights for Volkswagen for one of their cars. I cannot remember what model car.

Cheers,
Roy

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
tte said:
You can do it so you do not see the individual leds so much. You will still see the individual small blur. You'd want the lights to show a uniform pattern and not, so much light and then the dark spot between the leds.

I used to for a Electronic company and one of the departments used to design the electronics for the Police, ambulance and other emergency lighting products.
We were able to do it....even made the led lights for Volkswagen for one of their cars. I cannot remember what model car.

Cheers,
Roy

yeah i understand that...i was more joking with you then anything. i think both ways would look great but i do like the way he has them however i think i would have filled in the rows on the brake light side to give it even more light when braking. either way i think we can agree it looks pretty badass :D

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
IJ. said:
Is that legal there?

its actually not, it cant be too bright asto be distracting and i'd put a few pennys that it is hehe... noone is going to check for it though unless a policeman follows him and is distracted by it while he is talking on his cellphone...

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Idealsupra said:
yeah i understand that...i was more joking with you then anything. i think both ways would look great but i do like the way he has them however i think i would have filled in the rows on the brake light side to give it even more light when braking. either way i think we can agree it looks pretty badass :D

Yes, it looks really good...:icon_bigg
What could be done is run a test on the leds. Have them on for like 2 hours straight on and see if any fails.
We used to run ours 24 hours n more nonstop for testing purposes. Some leds would fail so we would replace them till they pass the 24 hour min. test.

Or also try to arrange the leds in a circle like a bulb. See if that makes it better or worse.

Cheers,
Roy

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
some of the new OEM LED taillights are DAMN bright...

actual brake lights I'd want BRIGHT, running lights could be dim...

what about the center piece? I had a really neat idea for people that are wingless but hate the clunky looking light...

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Currently, the brake lights are too bright, and I'm hoping a good solid tinting will get them closer to the OEM brightness of newer LED car. I believe these LED's are the ones many new cars are getting away with using 20-50. I'm running 280! If they are still too bright after tinting, I will install a 2nd dimmer circuit, which is why I left it accessible.

I was really gung-ho about lighting up the center lens, but I decided against it figuring it would look too over-the-top like a spaceship, and get more attention from cops.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You've just convinced me to redo my cheap Ebay LED tail lights.

Nice job on them though.

Edit: According to your schematic, you're running 3 LEDs in series on each resistor. The LEDs have a nominal forward voltage of 2.1v, couldn't you have placed 5 in series instead, and lowered the overall current of the whole thing, while still allowing it to run off of a 12.5v supply?

Last edited:

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
annoyingrob said:
You've just convinced me to redo my cheap Ebay LED tail lights.

Nice job on them though.

Edit: According to your schematic, you're running 3 LEDs in series on each resistor. The LEDs have a nominal forward voltage of 2.1v, couldn't you have placed 5 in series instead, and lowered the overall current of the whole thing, while still allowing it to run off of a 12.5v supply?

That diagram was an approximation mainly on the switching curcuit. I did actually run 5 led's with a 27ohm resister in each array. This runs the red LED's at 40ma instead of their rated 70ma, since I knew they would be too bright.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
ok, I'll spill my idea...

use the LED strip for the 3rd brake light in the 3 piece wing (or make your own) and put it in the center section (much like the MKIV's) instead of the clunky box for wingless...

I'd like to use a cold cathode tube for lighting the rear center and the sides if possible, and then LED's for the brakes. Doubt there is the room to make it look good though...

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I think the hardest part would be getting all the paint off that center peice and have it clear and flawless. Any scratches or paint left would really show.

garagefujimoto: if it didn't consume 100% of my spare time, I might make more, but I'm hoping to never do it again :)