leaky tail light?

d4nkman

Apr 28, 2009
illinois
so i was cleaning out my supra last night. it had been raining all day. i found like an inch of water in the jack compartment. i cant find a spot where my taillight is leaking. could the water have leaked through anywhere else? i don't want my baby to rust.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
People have used Home Depot foam weatherseal stuff, and some ppl use a bunch of silicone (does NOT work), but for abot $37 from Toyota, I'd starte with the tail light gaskets. If the hatch weatherstrip if FUBAR, then you can start there. Tail light gaskets worked for me.

d4nkman

Apr 28, 2009
illinois
thanks all. i'll get both gaskets as they all seem pretty worn as they're like 22 years old now. i'm going to get tired of wet/dry vacing the water out.
i guess i'll keep her covered when it rains till i get the seals. does toyota still stock them?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
There is a plug at at the bottom, just pop it out until you get the new parts so the water doesn't collect.

Kota

Jun 26, 2009
michigan
my spare tire compartment is completely rusted out from that, i found out i have two leaks. one is where the red lens of the tail light is seperating from the black part, silicone fixed that. the other is a mystery leak from the hatch window

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
I had the same problem, I have a nice little rust hole in my hatch so I'm trying to find a hatch, damn FL weather!

I popped both the plugs out for no water collection haha I tried the silicon on my lights doens't work to well so I will get the gaskets from Toyota now.

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
I got the same problems. Except I'm in Sunny California and every time I wash my car I get all that water in the jack compartment. I am pretty sure its my tails. But its starting to rust away my spare tire compartment. Anyone know what to use on this? I heard theres some kinda gel that will help and the the air grinder or something.

fool'ssupra

Building It
Sep 14, 2008
Maryland
Do a water test: spray a hose on the various parts of the back of the car, starting from the bottom and working up, uuntil you get water in the car. Don't have the hose nozzle set to a hard stream, but more of a spray. As has been said, the taillights have gaskets, but so do the mounting pins for the body mid-belt molding, the side amrker lights, the hatch (of course), and the spoiler pedestals and side pieces. All the gaskets and seals are readily available from Toyota.

The rust in the tire well can be removed by sanding, sandblasting, etc, and then the bare metal can be coated with POR-15 to prevent further rust.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
What ever you do DON'T silicon in your tail lights!! The last dumb ass owner tried that on my supra and I was there for hours cleaning it off so I could fix it the correct way with new gaskets from toyota.

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
I had the same problem. I bought the left and right taillight gaskets from Toyota and it sorta fixed the problem. The old ones were definitely shot, but I still get a bit of condensation inside the lenses. I know the gaskets on my spoiler are bad and I just bought those from Toyota - prepare to bend over - they are expensive (approx $150 for all of them). I'm going to install them this weekend and see if that helps. I know that my center and one of the side gaskets are shot because of all the water that leaks in from them.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
For a car that is 17+ years old, taillight gaskets and hatch weatherstrip is an easy purchase at the dealer that you probably should do. Believe it or not, the big hatch seal is only $65 or so depending upon local discounts and such.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Yes, Toyota still has them in stock. Not specifically at each dealership, but at one of their warehouses (more than likely will come from California).

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
You'd be surprised at what you can still order for our cars. They still have plenty of parts! I check often...sometimes for random crap that I'm thinking about doing.

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
92nsx;1356961 said:
What ever you do DON'T silicon in your tail lights!! The last dumb ass owner tried that on my supra and I was there for hours cleaning it off so I could fix it the correct way with new gaskets from toyota.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH LMAO my previous owner did that TOO and did it to my whole targa inside and out!!! yeah its a bitch I just replaced the top I had to anyway due to an accident. The tail lights were hard to clean but I did it with a razor blade.

Kota

Jun 26, 2009
michigan
SUPRASTEVE;1358807 said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH LMAO my previous owner did that TOO and did it to my whole targa inside and out!!! yeah its a bitch I just replaced the top I had to anyway due to an accident. The tail lights were hard to clean but I did it with a razor blade.

hmm.. an accident? like accidentally forgetting to bolt down the top?:sarcasm:

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
nuggets;1357037 said:
I had the same problem. I bought the left and right taillight gaskets from Toyota and it sorta fixed the problem. The old ones were definitely shot, but I still get a bit of condensation inside the lenses. I know the gaskets on my spoiler are bad and I just bought those from Toyota - prepare to bend over - they are expensive (approx $150 for all of them). I'm going to install them this weekend and see if that helps. I know that my center and one of the side gaskets are shot because of all the water that leaks in from them.

Tha tail light gaskets are only about $16 each and you need one for each side (they are side-specific). Dunno what the hatch seal costs, but have seen universal weatherstripping used before. I think that JC Whitney's carried a bunch of different types. Either way, plenty of options to keep the water out of the hatch.