Knowledge of power supply failures?

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Ok i need some advice or input or, something with this problem and this is the fastest responding forum w/ some knowledgeable people so here it goes.

PC where i store ALL of my pictures, music, hmwrk files, projects was chocking in dust bunnies. So i unplugged everything opened the case and grounded myself w/ the case and took out a ball of dust about the size of my fist from the heat sinks, drives, and power supply. Invert the case a few times, nothing anymore violent than when i take the pc to different places.

Put her back together, plug it all back in, hit the power button and NILL... So i assume my dumbass ruined the MB w/ some sort of ghost ESD, well i took off the case to see if it was doing ANYTHING. No fans, not drives whinned, no nothing except the Led's on the motherboard for the Power button.

w/ power supply plugged into wall two LED's labeled "SV AUX PS ON" and "3v aux"
dscf4342tu3.jpg

when i push the power button the 3rd LED labelled "P_ But" or power button comes on.
dscf4343xl8.jpg

So a assume the motherboard isnt quite as fucked as i thought so i checked the power supply. w/ the paperclip method to the green wire and common ground.
dscf4346xc0.jpg

This jumper did nothing, Power button goes to mother board so it would do nothing, the fan should come on to the powre supply upon plugging it in like this right?
dscf4350db4.jpg

dscf4351ml0.jpg

So im now assuming my PS ate shit after the dust/shakedown treatment. any input or flaws in my method this is my first power supply failure so im still 2nd geusing what im doing. I just gotta find a place in this damn town that sells this ATX Power supplies circa 2001. :1zhelp:

what didnt make sense is that there is still power making it to those LED's on the motherboard... ? any input?

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
flight doc89 said:
get a new comp is my recommendation.

www.diy-street.com is best place around if you can't figure it out.

im going to build one but i need to make sure i can recover the 20 gigs of pictures and files from the last 6 years and atleast put it all on an external HD.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Sounds like a dead PSU to me. Do you have a spare hanging around? Radioshack carries a 20 to 24 pin adapter, if that is a problem.

When you jumpered the PSU, the fan on it should have spun up. It didn't - therefore, bad.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Any computer shop will sell a power supply that will plug in. I've never seen an ATX power supply that won't work... and I've seen hundreds.

And, dude, buy some compressed air and blow that shit off every few months.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
GrimJack said:
Any computer shop will sell a power supply that will plug in. I've never seen an ATX power supply that won't work... and I've seen hundreds.

And, dude, buy some compressed air and blow that shit off every few months.

Or buy a pure bistle brush which is anti-static and clean the dust off.

Did you measure the Vout from the PSU?

Do a visual check to see all cables are connected. Check the ram modules to see if they are connected.

Cheers,
Roy

Last edited:

Superjustin13

Supra teacher 101
Apr 4, 2005
Idaho
buy a new power supply, theyre about 40$ and watch out for the cords they give you, mine lite on fire.. luckly i was right next to it..

Element256

Bickaty Bam !!
Jul 17, 2007
SoCal
If you get lights on the MB then the MB is fine.
Your fans should turn on when you jumpered the Pwrspply like that, thus it IS your power supply that has either blown a fuse or something else. Easy fix, buy a new one or PM me your address and PC model and I can get one for you at cost. but you might as well just get a new one @ Fry's or something similar.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Ok revival of the thread, Bought a new power supply, 350W and installed it, once again watched my ass and grounded myself to the case,

AND

nothing, now the two LED's on the board wont light up. I jumpered the pins on the main power connecter and the fan does work on the PSU so i know it works. I double checked to make sure EVERYTHING was connected right and now i have less than before. Total dead system not even an led now. So any ideas. At this point im just taking the HD out, its an IDE so im sure i can find a hard drive enclosure and atleast transfer the bulk of my files to my laptop and DVD'R's. No one that knows dick about computers has a PC, all laptops so thats my only option at this point.

Suggestions, things i should go back and check? MB was good and showing signs of working but all of the sudden with known good PSU nothing works. at all.

Anyone have a Hard drive enclosure they would recommend? i only have a laptop so i cant just set it as a slave and put it in.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I always make sure to keep the PSU plugged into the cord and into the wall (with the switch off) so that you're actually grounded. Grounding to the case is useless unless it's on a ground pad...

Disconnect EVERYTHING and reseat everything. I've seen CPU fans cause vibrations that stopped things from working. I've also see the thermal compound in between the CPU and cooler melt or move causeing the CPU to start to overheat to the point where the MB will catch it and shut it down, or the CPU fries...

Troubleshooting with computers is on a component by component basis, if you have a local shop that can test the components it might be worth the trouble...

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
well i know i had the power cord off and without a grounding pad so there is a very real possiblity in that case that i just fucked my motherboard... ugh. fuck it as long as i can salvage my data. Just sucks cus its a 2.4ghz system that ran like a top.

any tips for choosing an enclosure or good way to extract what i can from this IDE drive?

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
americanjebus said:
well i know i had the power cord off and without a grounding pad so there is a very real possiblity in that case that i just fucked my motherboard... ugh. fuck it as long as i can salvage my data. Just sucks cus its a 2.4ghz system that ran like a top.

any tips for choosing an enclosure or good way to extract what i can from this IDE drive?

Did you try and plug the power just to the MB and nothing else.? See if it starts up. If it does plug the rest in 1 at a time untill you find whats keeping it from starting up.

If you cant get it to go then get one of thse http://www.mdmm.com/spec.php?productid=199
I use one to extract data from drives... works great.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
americanjebus said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156102

We use these all the time at work, they are sweet.

Element256

Bickaty Bam !!
Jul 17, 2007
SoCal
Sounds like PS blew, then you did something wrong installing the new one or removing the old one and blew your board now.

Take everything off except the power supply and see if you can turn it on and if there's lights. If not, dead MotherBoard.

Hard drive will be salvageable without issue. Just plug it in someone else's PC or go to Fry's\Best Buy and get an external case so you can plug it in via USB to your laptop and extract your pr0n.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
thnx for the input i appreciate the helpful advice from everyone. I was expecting to be called a dumbass a few times for being a newb w/ the esd. Time for a server tower!