knock sensors?

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
hey everyone i have an 87 turbo and can only find one spot for the knock sensor, and i need to know where does the other one go? thank you,

Zach

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
There are two on the 7m-gte engine and one on the 7m-ge. The GE knock sensor is almost in the middle of the block on the intake side. The turbo block has their two knock sensors around the 1-2 pistons and 5-6 on the same side of the engine, and around the same level that the NA sits at ;).

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
thanks for the help starscream but i cant seem to find the one from 5 and 6 it runs like crap and i took the plugs out and there was a bunch of dirt around the threads... im not sure how dirt got there i guess from the previous owner i bought it not running and finaly got it started recently just runs bad like a constant skip so im guessing its the knock sensors? or something it just seems really sluggish. any suggestions? thanks again for the help and i appologize for my horrible grammar.

boost fiend

Banned
Jul 24, 2005
Rockford, Il
first get new plugs and wires. are you sure that its not a na-t?

ive been running with only 1 for about 6 months and is not that sluggish. check your codes too!

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
yeah i bought some new plugs i'll put them in tomorrow and also check codes, it looked like plug 1 and 6 were not firing too well...not sure if its na-t or not it might be... i just recently got it running not to long ago, i bought it and it didnt have spark..and the previous owner took it to a shop and they hacked up the coilpack wires and it wasnt even them it was a wire broke on the CPS. i finally matched up the coilpack wires with a diagram a toyota tech printed me. im not to sure what it could be its just really sluggish like it has a constant skip or something. any ideas? thanks alot for the help

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
GrimJack said:
Here you go.

Looks like I was a little off on the position of the last knock sensor ;). It should be pretty damn close to the runners on the intake manifold on an assembled engine. You may not be looking high enough. It could be missing, or it's a GE block. Did you find the first knock sensor in Grim's picture, the one closest to the front of the engine?

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
well now i figured out why i couldnt find the spots for knock sensors, i looked at the picture thanks to Grim and found that there was knocksensors in there but the ends were broken off where you connect the wires. Im eating dinner right now but here in a bit im about to go out there and take out the other knock sensor and hook up the new ones and hope it runs better. And no i havent tried timing it yet, it would be nice to get ahold of a timing light lol..thanks for all the help everyone.

Steven

Nov 4, 2006
Toronto
Sorry, now that I look at it, that's a dumb question.

I'm running a manual boost controller that will give me about 12 psi steady-state with a spike to 15 psi, a CT26 turbo with 2.0 mm lathed out exhaust side and bigger wheel there to match...dump valve (diverter) off the downpipe, and mildly ported head with ARP hardware and mhg. The rest is stock. I normally run 94 octane ((R+M/)2) Sonoco fuel.

It FEELS like timing is pretty mild over most of the load/rpm range most of the time...hasn't got that gritty feel of incipient knock.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
yeah tomorrow i need to get an 1 1/16 inch socket to get the knock sensor off i think im going to have to take off the starter to get to the one in the back.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
I installed both knock sensors and its still not runnin so good it feels like it has a skip. I havent had a chance to pull codes yet and i wont be back at my parents til friday so i wont have time to work on it. to make things worse i took it for a drive around the block and then im guessing the cable slipped off the gas pedal and the pedal just went to the floor so i had to go home idling in drive thank God I only went around the block.