Knock knock...who's there? Not rod knock.

boost PSSH boost

SM's Welding Guru
Apr 4, 2005
Marshall, WI
OK. I took apart my bottom end. I expected to see chunks of metal stuck to the oil pump pickup screen....but it was clean. I removed the rods, piston, and crankshaft. The bearings were worn evenly, still good. Crank is still in spec and round. The piston skirts were badly scored. I'm still somewhat inexperienced with troubleshooting these things, so I figured I would ask the wise folk on SM.

Ok...history.
The knocking noise was dependent on RPM...higher rpm, faster knock. It was present at all engine speeds....idle, 2500, 3500, 4500, 5500, it did not go away. It was not anywhere near as loud as the rod knock I had bought the car with 2 years ago.

Ok things that might somehow be related:
I swapped out a blown r154 2000 miles prior to the knock.
The vehicle had a stock turbo, exhaust, ferrea oversized valvetrain, shimless buckets, ported manifolds, egr removed, lex afm, nippon denso 550's, walbro 255 pump, safc2. timing was at 12*, AFR was at a steady 11.5:1 under wot, little rich at idle. don't know if there were any codes...it's a parts car now for my new project and I tore it apart before I thought to check the codes. :cry:

I wont be using anything other than the crank from this motor, but I am very curious as to what made the knock....I have a feeling it's got a lot to do with the piston skirts being scored up.

Off topic question in my own thread....What is the size/pitch of where the transmission lines attach to the trans? Toyota couldn't get us the lines, so my dad's car will need braided lines and a big ass cooler.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Probably piston slap. Piston slap can tend to sound like a rod knock. If you have the motor apart, check the piston to wall clearances. Some scoring is normal on piston skirts.

How do the cylinder walls look?

boost PSSH boost

SM's Welding Guru
Apr 4, 2005
Marshall, WI
boost PSSH boost said:
I swapped out a blown r154 2000 miles prior to the knock.

No weak link auto here....My clutch was worn to the rivets and ate into my flywheel and PP though :icon_evil 370wtqe + stock clutch + 2000 miles = BAD! But... it didn't slip :)

ugh....so many problems that will just have to be remedied with nice new aftermarket parts. :biglaugh:

You guys were right though, it was piston slap. Cylinders were a bit out of round in some spots. First time I've ever heard piston slap. What caused the cylinders to be out of round?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The piston skirts were badly scored.
and what do the cylinder walls look like? I didnt know you still were in question as to the noise. Other choices are cam journals, water pump, oil pump shaft, etc.

boost PSSH boost

SM's Welding Guru
Apr 4, 2005
Marshall, WI
I'm not so much questioning the noise, more asking "why" so I have a better understanding of what I DON"T want to happen with the next one. ;)

I'm uploading some pics. 1 of a piston, 2 of cylinder walls. I'll post them up in a few minutes.

boost PSSH boost

SM's Welding Guru
Apr 4, 2005
Marshall, WI
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

EDIT: grrrrr....photobucket always resizes my pics really small. well, you get the idea...kinda..

boost PSSH boost

SM's Welding Guru
Apr 4, 2005
Marshall, WI
No overbore for me, I have 3 more blocks...one of which has already been acid dipped, decked, and honed. :D

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I thought all mk3 owners had more motors than cars? :biglaugh: I've got the old knockin block, the orange slappin block, and the good one....which was a BHG motor I snagged for 20 bucks with a brand new engine stand.

I like photobucket...it resizes some of my pics, but it works every time and I can post them on other forums without having to attach it there, too.