kill switch help

elisamuel467

Jun 21, 2011
MILWAUKEE
how did some people hok up there kill switch?
i am looking to do a normall switch so that when you turn the key nothing will happen untill the switch is on.or to have a push button and when u turn the key you have to hold down the button so it will turn on.were and how should i hook this all up?
ive done it before on a civic and integra.just wanted some info before i cut into the supras wires.all advice is appreciated

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
For a momentary solution that's fairly stealth you could add a reed switch to the clutch safety switch. Mount a magnet to the shifter and then mount the reed so you have to have the transmission in a specific gear to start. IE: You hop in put the key in the ignition, step on the clutch pedal, move the shifter from whatever gear you park in to 3rd or whatever and then you start the car.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
elisamuel467;1745650 said:
hmm that sounds like a good one.any info or pictures on how this will be mounted on?

Nope. It's so easy I'd feel stupid just for posting a how-to on it. ;)

Seriously, it's easy: (Magnet+glue+shifterarm)+(reed switch interrupting wires to clutch switch+glue and piece of scrap metal or plastic+hot glue) = Super badass (James Bond would be jealous and Q scratching his m.f'ing head) kill switch.

elisamuel467

Jun 21, 2011
MILWAUKEE
Ok so i will be going to radioshack.what are ALL the supplies i need?every detail to make a succseful switch so that it wont allow my car to turn on unless the switch is on.please let me know asap

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
You ever get this figured out?

Parts and instructions: 1 x reed switch (like they use on doors for house alarm systems, the smaller bullet size will probably work well, if it's not sensitive enough then buy one without a housing and just cover it with heat shrink to protect the glass tube.), 1 x strong neodymium magnet (rare-earth magnet), 2 x crimp splices, a few feet of wire. You'll just be cutting either the black with yellow stripe or the solid black wire that runs to the clutch start switch under the dash and connecting the reed switch to each end.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=038

There's your writeup. ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Don't like the idea of pushing the clutch in while cranking as it tends to scuff up the thrust bearings in the engine, an alternative if you're not a smoker is a momentary button in behind the cigarette lighter.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I was just throwing out something unique. I use two reeds to make sure the car is OUT of gear on my MR-2... needed as a safety for the remote start too (which I never connected :p ).

On my MKIII Supra I used the headlight washer button.

EDIT: Ok, reverse the equation.... Replace the clutch switch with one that's closed if the clutch is not depressed and the shifter must be out of gear. Most people I know will automatically press the clutch (half of them would already have it in gear too)... Add a switch to the e-brake too.

Of course these are all worthless if you park on a hill and have a manual transmission. ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
CRE;1747748 said:
I was just throwing out something unique. I use two reeds to make sure the car is OUT of gear on my MR-2... needed as a safety for the remote start too (which I never connected :p ).

On my MKIII Supra I used the headlight washer button.
<wanders over to steal CRE's Mk3 ignoring the hairdressers car> ;)

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
IJ.;1747750 said:
<wanders over to steal CRE's Mk3 ignoring the hairdressers car> ;)

LOL! Sadly, the MKIII's no longer mine... But it's not my problem if the new owner didn't make adjustments. ;)

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Defroster switch? Easy enough. Use the Violet wire to ground a relay coil. It'll ground when pressed and held or whenever the defroster is on. Keep in mind that the defroster is on a timer so don't use the relay to interrupt power to the fuel pump or ECU or something along those lines or every 20minutes you'll be coasting off the side of the road to re-start the car. lol

elisamuel467

Jun 21, 2011
MILWAUKEE
Yea but idont care.ima have a few switches and alarm system and the car will be in garage.and theres not many people near me.no one knows weres my house and stuff.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Until you post a pic showing the numberplates....

If you "don't care" why bother?

Just buy a decent alarm with an immobiliser and you're set.

If someone really wants your car they'll take it, buttons and switches just make it a PITA for you to use.

elisamuel467

Jun 21, 2011
MILWAUKEE
I do care but comon im not realy telling u were im gonna put my switch.i was just wondering how u would connect it to something like a foglight switch and yet have the foglights work.