key wont come out unless disconnect battery?

demolition man

Jul 15, 2007
ct
i wasnt sure were to post this. but my key wont come out of the ignition unless i disconnect my battery, anyone know what the problem might be?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
There is nothing in the Mk3's electrical system for retaining the key.

The key cylinder can be hard to turn because of the steering lock, when there's pressure on the front wheels, but that's usually getting it to come out of the lock position.

As long as the key cylinder is in the full locked, the key will come out.

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
Is your car Automatic or Manual?
If it is Automatic, make sure the car is fully in Park before trying to get the key out.
Sometimes I have to push my Gear Shift into Park again when my key gets stuck.

But if your car is manual..IDK what to tell ya.

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
Push the little button behind the key?? ::shrug::

Do you mean that if you disconnect your battery the key will come out and if you reconnect the battery and insert the key it won't come out?

Auto or Manual? Any modifications in the steering column?

The battery shouldn't have any impact on the key at all.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
Anth505;982534 said:
Push the little button behind the key?? ::shrug::

Yeah, might wanna try pushing the button before you take it out... other than that, I guess your Supra's just more of a dick to you than any of ours. And that's pretty bad, what with all the rod knock, BHG, and all the other stuff they try to pull.

demolition man

Jul 15, 2007
ct
thanks, it is a automatic, idk what the problem could possible be, it just wont come out of the hole unless the battery is disconected, the cylinder is fully locked and the key just wont pull out, lmao yes i pushed the little button,

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
might have something to do with the sensors (maybe park) in the auto tranny like post 6 suggested. dont know how one works since im w58, but it seems to make sense in my head

demolition man

Jul 15, 2007
ct
yeah that could be a possiblitly, thanks ill look into that to, im thinkin about just hooking up a kill switch for the battery, idk if that would be safe for the ecu?

cool chuck

I like rims!
Nov 15, 2007
Maryland
I'm auto too. The key won't come out unless the trans is fully engaged in PARK. Sometimes I have to push on the selector until I hear it click and then the key will come out.

demolition man

Jul 15, 2007
ct
yeah its completely in park, ill have to tinker with her some more, its not completely road worthy yet, but id like to get it fixed so i dont come out from school and my car is gone, lmao. i do have two sets of key i guess i could leave that one in the igtion and unlock my door w my other key, lol