Kevin's 7M low hp build

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
Only reason I asked about your pistons is, you never mentioned boring or honing when you got the block machined....Only assumed. I wish I could have used my old pistons on my stock rebuild, lol. Looking good, keep it up

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
87nasupra;1552490 said:
Only reason I asked about your pistons is, you never mentioned boring or honing when you got the block machined....Only assumed. I wish I could have used my old pistons on my stock rebuild, lol. Looking good, keep it up

oh well i had it just deglazed. why would you wish that? lol if you had the money.. why not. i was just trying to save money where i could. .i should have named the thread Kevin's poor low hp 7m build lol

so yea later today i will try to find different socket. hopefully it works out.

Kevin

Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
ok so i tried a 14mm and its the exact same outside diameter as the 9/16 so i'll be returning that.. i think i'll just grinddown the 9/16 socket so that it fits.. it'll be my custom arp head stud socket. now the only problem of finding someone with a bench grinder i can borrow haha\
after this problem is should be smooth sailing :)
i'll be done school in two weeks so i shoot to pull the motor then.

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
I actually used a 3/8 drive 14mm deep and it fit just fine to snug......i set my torque wrnch 7lbs higher then recommened specs and torqued it down with a 3.8-1/2 drive adaptor. When i got the right socket and rechecked it i was 1lb off recommened torque. Just a little info for you

Kevin

Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
ok so i went out and bought a 3/8 drive 14mm deep socket and it worked!! except with ONE bolt, it was really tight sqeeze to get it in there and i had to use pliers to pull the socket out.. soo ya head is now torqued down to 85ft-lbs. everything should noe be smooth sailing from here :)

i plan on finishing this and dropping her in withing a couple weeks. next week are my exams so i wouldnt have time..

Kevin

Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
here is an update!

i threw a bunch of random stuff on.. all torqued to spec. helicoiled all exhaust studs that came out.
pics.

p1565069_1.jpg

p1565069_2.jpg

p1565069_3.jpg

p1565069_4.jpg

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
Kevin;1554401 said:
ok so i went out and bought a 3/8 drive 14mm deep socket and it worked!! except with ONE bolt, it was really tight sqeeze to get it in there and i had to use pliers to pull the socket out.. soo ya head is now torqued down to 85ft-lbs. everything should noe be smooth sailing from here :)

i plan on finishing this and dropping her in withing a couple weeks. next week are my exams so i wouldnt have time..

Im having a problem like this....the arp's that are on my motor, I cant get them off...none of my sockets will fit. So i'm thinking about going out and trying to find on of the sockets u used here....hoping for the best :)

Kevin

Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
TweeT91109;1565156 said:
Im having a problem like this....the arp's that are on my motor, I cant get them off...none of my sockets will fit. So i'm thinking about going out and trying to find on of the sockets u used here....hoping for the best :)

u got studs or bolts? dont forget they are different size haha.

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

IJ.;1565083 said:
Looking spiffy I hope you're putting a timing cover back on ;)

i havent gotten around to doing that yet ;)

Kevin

Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
quick update. motor is in. and currently im running everything stock other than a fpr. turna out my wideband isnt working so i need to buy another one.. need to install that before i put anything else in. valve terrain is quite noisy and there is a ticking/knocking type sound that is scaring me :S but it does not get louder when i revv??? i only hear it at idle :S:S:S:S:S

dooms

shadegarage mechanic
Sep 23, 2010
Virginia
read whole thread, always something to make a project last a couple more days/weeks lol, anyways, i believe that knocking could just be the way your steel lifters are, had a 94 jeep that did the same thing, now im not for sure if its tha same in a supra just a thought XD

Last edited:

Kevin

Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
no lifters in this car. i do have loud valve ticking.. and i think the knocking could be piston slap because the machinist did deglaze the cylinders.. maybe he took off too much idk :( but anyway.. im gonna live with it and see wat happens
and timing is perfect on the car