Keep or sell SARD ECU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
Yeah, just got a Haltech Standalone ECU... installed and tuned... or should be, by tomorrow or Saturday...

Anyhow, the standalone eliminated the need for quite a few things....

Wondering if I should sell my Sard ECU? Is it really that rare an item? Well, it's for the 1JZGTE... got the specs after e-mailing the US Sard reps. in California....

Just don't know... sell or not sell?

Who the heck would buy it anyhow....

Then there's the Greddy Profec E-01... ugh... was such a nice toy to have inside the car... but now it's pretty much useless, since the standalone handles everything....

Decisions....

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
Yeah. When I get my car back this weekend, I will post it up... it's still connected... in order to control the RPM gauge and speedometer... and maybe a couple of other things... luckily, I have an extra 1JZ ECU in the trunk... LOL!

Still can't see why the SARD ECU costs $1500 though. Ridiculous IMO.

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
One problem with SARD ECU... the specs on it seem lame to me... IDK. Here's the e-mail w/ specs I got from the dude:

Thank you for your inquiry about SaRD Analyse ECU for '91 Supra 1.5JZ-GTE.

Here is your ECU information for 1JZ-GTE.
- The ECU modified for boost up
- After Market Exhaust System without catalytic converter
- Max Boost 1.1KG
- Sports Air Cleaner
- STD setting +300 RPM(A/T), +500 RPM(M/T)
- Fuel Ignition Timing Adjusted

That's all info I got from SaRD JP.

Thanks!

Sincerely Yours

Kure International, Inc.
Kure Motorsports
Daisuke Mishima
19717 Valley Blvd,
Walnut. CA 91789 U.S.A.

Maybe I feel like it's lame because I have high expectations of hitting over 500 whp right now... and 600 ~ 700 whp when I get back from my deployment overseas.

Last edited:

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
I would have thought so... but... there are some components that still need a stock ECU... luckily, like I said, I have that SARD ECU and a stock 1JZGTE ECU.

Strange though... I will do some more research on that.

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
YAY! Our resident tuner expert returned from the hospital!!! YAY!

Finally given an easy to understand explanation of what was going on!

Sure you can give any soldier a manual to put something together or get something done... you can talk a soldier through a process step by step... yet actually knowing the information is a different thing. Hands on is the best way... or breaking things down "Barney Style."

So, my comrade finally explained to me "Barney Style," what was going on!

Finally some understanding! YAY!

SERIOUSLY! Feels so good having a simple understanding of what the heck is going on! Such a relief! No longer confused!

Let's hear a "HELL YEAH!"

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
uask4it;1464291 said:
Yes it can, but it comes at an additional cost. It makes more economical sense to use the stock ecu to control the dash displays rather then pay what would cost more to have it all wired.

Pardon?

Tach output should be 1 wire and every standalone made in the last 20 years has it.

Analogue speedo doesn't require a signal from the ecu to function.

uask4it

1500 rwhp member
IJ.;1466620 said:
Pardon?

Tach output should be 1 wire and every standalone made in the last 20 years has it.

Analogue speedo doesn't require a signal from the ecu to function.

If he was only using the tach that wouldn't be a problem. There are a few other things that would need to be wired, but for the cost of labor to wire it just makes more sense to keep the stock ecu for these functions. We are working on a strict budget.

Rich

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
uask4it;1469263 said:
If he was only using the tach that wouldn't be a problem. There are a few other things that would need to be wired, but for the cost of labor to wire it just makes more sense to keep the stock ecu for these functions. We are working on a strict budget.

Rich

Sp you're saying it makes more sense to piggy back the stock ECU and the new one with ALL the inputs from the engine to save $???

I don't follow the reasoning, what are the "other things" you need the stock ECU to run??

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Agreed, there is almost NOTHING on the dash that is output from the stock ECU. Name 1 thing on the dash other than the Check Engine light that the ECU is outputting to the dash?

In stock setup, even the tach is NOT driven by the ECU, but rather by the igniter signal. This isn't a JZA80 we're talking about here.

What are these "other things" you're keeping the stock ECU in there to control? There isn't anything for it to control.

Jeff

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Darn you beat me to it.
The tach on both 7m, 1j, 2j runs off the ignitor and sends a health feed back signal to the oem ECU you do not need your OEM ecu with a stand alone ECU.

There is exceptions though automatic cars with ECT built into the ECU, but you can bypass this by using a car ECT ecu from a similar model car with the same basic auto A340.

Also if your car haves VVTI or Dual VVTI then you need a better quality stand alone any plain one off the shelf will not control VVTI unless you disable the cam gear system.

uask4it

1500 rwhp member
IJ.;1469343 said:
Sp you're saying it makes more sense to piggy back the stock ECU and the new one with ALL the inputs from the engine to save $???

I don't follow the reasoning, what are the "other things" you need the stock ECU to run??

Jeff Lange;1469352 said:
Agreed, there is almost NOTHING on the dash that is output from the stock ECU. Name 1 thing on the dash other than the Check Engine light that the ECU is outputting to the dash?

In stock setup, even the tach is NOT driven by the ECU, but rather by the igniter signal. This isn't a JZA80 we're talking about here.

What are these "other things" you're keeping the stock ECU in there to control? There isn't anything for it to control.

Jeff

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1469922 said:
Darn you beat me to it.
The tach on both 7m, 1j, 2j runs off the ignitor and sends a health feed back signal to the oem ECU you do not need your OEM ecu with a stand alone ECU.

There is exceptions though automatic cars with ECT built into the ECU, but you can bypass this by using a car ECT ecu from a similar model car with the same basic auto A340.

Also if your car haves VVTI or Dual VVTI then you need a better quality stand alone any plain one off the shelf will not control VVTI unless you disable the cam gear system.

not sure if any of you are aware that there are no plug and play stand alone options for the 1jz engine harness which this particular vehicle is equipped with. the way that the haltech platinum sport ecu's if there is no plug n play harness available, is with a flying lead harness, which envolves completely removing the stock engine harness, and fabrication a custom fit engine harness, running relays and power wires for fuel pump, igniter, injectors, etc. as well as running wires from coolant temp sending unit to dash, ecu output to tach, etc., etc. you get the point. the haltech is completely capable of handling every stock like function that the stock ecu is capable of, but require much more time to wire them up this way when plug and play options are not available, the overall cost difference is about 300-500 bucks in the two different types of installs. i also wouldn't really use the term 'piggy back', as referring to both ecu's in the car, more like the stock ecu is supplementing the haltech. the haltech being wired up this way completely controls injectors, ignition, idle, boost, and every other function that actually affects how the engine actually runs. there are no outputs from the stock ecu to the engine, only inputs.... and yes, this car was originally an auto, and if it was applicable, the haltech platinum sport 2000 is capable of controlling vvti

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
So unless it's plugNplay you don't actually do a full standalone install on ECU's?

I'd like to see a pricing breakdown as I'm WELL aware of what's needed to install a standalone into an A70.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
uask4it;1470001 said:
not sure if any of you are aware that there are no plug and play stand alone options for the 1jz engine harness which this particular vehicle is equipped with. the way that the haltech platinum sport ecu's if there is no plug n play harness available, is with a flying lead harness, which envolves completely removing the stock engine harness, and fabrication a custom fit engine harness, running relays and power wires for fuel pump, igniter, injectors, etc. as well as running wires from coolant temp sending unit to dash, ecu output to tach, etc., etc. you get the point. the haltech is completely capable of handling every stock like function that the stock ecu is capable of, but require much more time to wire them up this way when plug and play options are not available, the overall cost difference is about 300-500 bucks in the two different types of installs. i also wouldn't really use the term 'piggy back', as referring to both ecu's in the car, more like the stock ecu is supplementing the haltech. the haltech being wired up this way completely controls injectors, ignition, idle, boost, and every other function that actually affects how the engine actually runs. there are no outputs from the stock ecu to the engine, only inputs.... and yes, this car was originally an auto, and if it was applicable, the haltech platinum sport 2000 is capable of controlling vvti

and???

what the hell you think was being done prior to the AEM PnP nonesense? No one ran a standalone? You think Duane installed a Tec2 or anyone else for that matter that did a non PnP install because it tickled thier fancy??

Come on!

Dude, if you are complaining about wiring such a simple thing as a standalone, then you have ZERO business trying to do anything more especially attempting to tune one!

Status
Not open for further replies.