JZA70 return to the road and onwards to reliable performance

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
DeSloth;2036655 said:
Plan is for leather to match 'deep red' and look OEM in keeping with build goals.

That will look really nice. Have you considered covering the dash and A-pillars in the same leather, if you can't find a new dash or would you rather paint it

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Open to all options at the moment. First preference is to find a dash in the right colour. If that doesn't happen I'll price an OEM vinyl recover vs leather skin.

I've also got a spare centre console in grey which I may get painted to see how well the colour and wear characteristics stack up to OEM. I'll test on that first to avoid pulling dash any more times than necessary.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
One thing with the interior of these cars is that all the interior plastics are not an exact match anyway so gives you some leeway with a re-vamp
The beauty of a re-cover is you can repair all the cracks in your existing dash rather than change it, trimming the A-pillars at the same time would make it look like that is how the car is meant to be
I'm not sure you could get someone to re-cover the dash to look identical to OEM seeing as how its a thick and slightly pliable surface but you never know
Painting a different color dash would probably be the better way to go

What did you use to fill the recess on the body mouldings after you remove the thin strip?

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Sorry, very slow reply. I will post the process as I progress with body mouldings. Last time they were filled with polyester filler.

I haven't had much time to work on the car, but have been making some progress on 'very' difficult to find items.

I lost an auction for silly money on new OEM ventilation louvres, and gave up finding a new set.

p2044037_1.jpg

So I resigned myself to painting, or wrap in vinyl. I decided to try gloss black vinyl wrap first, and was very happy with the result. The item at the back is a brand new OEM unit for reference.

p2044037_2.jpg

p2044037_3.jpg

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
No problem, I hope it works well. If you can, please post photos of the finished window trims.

In spite of a lack of posts, there has been some progress. I got a dash along with some other parts redone in red. More to follow.

p2047848_1.jpg

p2047848_2.jpg

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Thanks, was tough to find a clean dash. Impossible to find a clean red one.

FernandoDLT;2047850 said:
How did you have them redone? What process was used? Those look amazing! Good Job!

Fernando

The parts were professionally sprayed with plastic / vinyl dye.

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
The assembly has some flaws and smell of cigarette smoke. I bought them for the leather part which is in great shape.

I have some new toys which are helping with access, so there has been some progress on the car.

Rolling tyre jacks

p2051423_1.jpg

And a low profile aluminium jack

p2051423_2.jpg

Still hunting for some good condition interior parts to replace items damaged or missing.

I've created a WTB, if you or someone you know can help me out - it would be greatly appreciated! Link Here

Last edited:

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Hybrid;2051425 said:
I thinking getting paint made up (rattle can) to match is the best way to go!

Trying to keep the plastics as original as possible, especially in wear areas.

So I got the dash out, which uncovered the remains of at least 3 alarm system 'installs'. I'm surprised this vehicle hasn't caught fire it was that bad.

p2051435_1.jpg

Some of what came out..

p2051435_2.jpg

Better :)

p2051435_3.jpg

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Been a while since an update. I have been making slow but steady progress on the car.

I spent the weekend going right over the restored dash fixing damage, re-glueing areas of the vinyl skin, and swapping over the ventilation ducts and wiring harness. Very time consuming, but trying to get everything back as it once was.

p2055834_1.jpg

Had to mess around with this for a while

p2055834_2.jpg

I also pulled out the dash support bar and painted it. Totally unnecessary but it looks so much better.

p2055834_3.jpg

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Hey Dan - yeah that was me with silver MA70. I'll try to find some pictures and email them to you.

For my JZA70, the JDM hatch glass has an antenna in it. Purportedly the antenna on the glass is enough for a radio signal on its own.. but we will see :)

P.S the side pod is FRP and the area I shaved cracked on me... twice. This time I will be handing it over to a pro.

gats

Rebuilding... Slowly!
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, NSW
HKS_TRD said:
I remember someone filling in the aerial hole and using some sort of amplified aerial sitting under the spoiler side pod, was that you?

DeSloth;2058248 said:
Hey Dan - yeah that was me with silver MA70. I'll try to find some pictures and email them to you.

For my JZA70, the JDM hatch glass has an antenna in it. Purportedly the antenna on the glass is enough for a radio signal on its own.. but we will see :)

I've done the same Dan, and used this as an antenna replacement. Mounted to inside of windscreen.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BOSCH-Universal-car-windscreen-aerial-antenna-FM-AM-/150653041240

Works quite well in the city, but loses reception quality pretty easily once you get out a bit...