JZA70 Front sway bar

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Ive been told that the stock front sway bar in a JZA70 is stiffer then one in a MA70. They both look pretty similar in appearance and measure the same outside diameter. Would like to swap them out if theres actually a difference.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
I know of white line sway bars but Im just curious about the factory bars. I have a jza70 sway bar from a parts car and want to know if it is worth swapping in over the ma70 sway bar.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Do they weigh the same?

Not sure if the stock bar is solid or hollow but if they measure the same and weigh the same they are the same.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Good idea to weigh them never thought of that ! Only thing is that requires me to pull the one out of my ma70 to compare...

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
only the JZA70 Turbo-R has a stiffer bar (solid bar) while the USDM (and canadian) ones are hallow. as hvyman says, it will be a heavier bar.

though if your running stiffer springs, you need less sway. otherwise your gonna end up with tank suspension, and a very rough ride.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Yeah it came off a turbo-r car.

Im running k-sport coil overs, not sure on the spring rates though. They are a softer riding coilover compared to other brands. Think it would ride like a bucket of crap with the TTR sway in it ?

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
with stiffer springs, you need less sway bar to keep the same roll stiffness. So it's not as much the speed of the weight transfer, it's the stiffness of the car and balancing it out. bigger sway bars on an already stiff suspension can decrease the total grip capacity of the axle due to additional lateral load transfer from the sway bar. generally a stiffer sway bar will transfer more weight from the inside wheel to the outside wheel under cornering.