just spent $700 on two tires...

Red Dragon

Keep That on the Down Low
Jan 5, 2006
Austin, TX
like title says, I had the supra out yesterday and was doing around 80 on the highway and felt a shimmy. Pull off and by the time im on the exit ramp i know a tire is toast. Limp it over and check, yup BOTH front tires are extremely low, the driver front low enough that it was rolling on the bead and trashed the tire.

Could have been a LOT worse, so I'm thankful nothing other than a piece of rubber got messed up. Trouble is, I can't figure out what the hell happened, and second, since the tires on the back and pretty damn new, i didn't want to replace all four tires, so I got a discount tire to order two new bridgestone s-02's from tire rack since they don't carry them to the tune of $700 installed. OUCH!!

Sucks that the tires didn't seem to have any failure, they just lost air at speed. They were aired up to spec as I just had them off the car two weeks before to have them balanced, so I don't think they were low. Odd that BOTH front tires were low, what the heck could have happened? Perhaps not enough bead sealant when tires mounted? I really don't want to spend $700 on new tires to have the same bizarre ass thing happen again, that was the strangest thing I've ever seen.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
you spent that much on tires and didnt have road hazard?

and what size are they? thats quite a bit for 2, installed or not.

glad you are ok tho, it could have been bad.

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
did you happen to run that by the place that mounted/balanced them 2 weeks prior to the incident? They will most likely deny it being anything they did but who knows, maybe they will offer to eat the cost.

Mk3Jesse

Fire is my friend.
Oct 22, 2006
Augusta, GA
www.myspace.com
blackout_89t said:
did you happen to run that by the place that mounted/balanced them 2 weeks prior to the incident? They will most likely deny it being anything they did but who knows, maybe they will offer to eat the cost.
yea i would definently go by there and see what they have to say, if anything else youcan ask why something like that would happen, that truely is very odd. Mabey they had a new guy do the mounting and fucked it up or something?

Red Dragon

Jan 5, 2006
Austin, TX
I have no idea wtf happened... It was discount that did the balancing. No I didn't have road hazard as these were on the rims when I bought them. And I'm getting the tire rack price for them ($262 a piece) After road hazard, tax, mounting and other BS, it came to $700... :nono:

rot 90na-t

slowest project ever
Apr 13, 2006
Westminster, CO
Damn that sucks, for that kinda money you should've tried to haggle your way down to the 650 area atleast... discount marks their shit up $$ so you can almost always talk em down.. i learned this after workin there a couple years ago..

Red Dragon

Jan 5, 2006
Austin, TX
oh well... normally I scour the interweb endlessly looking for the best deal... but I was pissed and in a bind as the car is 30 miles away from my house (it just so happened I was heading to that friend's house and was about 2 miles short of it, and there was a discount another mile up the road, so I limped it to discount, and then limped it (it was ridiculous, going like 10 mph, but the tires had air, but one was just itching to blow as it had huge blisters sticking out like a full inch on the sidewall) to his house where its now in his garage waiting for the tires to be shipped.... sux. $700 could have been for much cooler shit. That and I thought about jsut getting 4 new tires, but I just couldn't dump the back two (which are even more expensive) dammit

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Discount tires will usually match tirerack.com's prices at least mine does here where I live they do include the fedex charge when quoting though which still beats the hell out of the discount tire price if I just walk in and say I want those tires, how much. I run Goodyears, always have and never had a weird issue like that, now I have had a freaken pair of pliars go into my sidewall and right inside my tire.