Just bought a 1986.5 MKIII! Project 101

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
If it is the pressure hose you will have to replace it.
If you have any welding skills at all you can make an exhaust pretty easily yourself. Look at summit for cheap mufflers. Personally I think magnaflows sound really good on these cars

toy_dremer

uneek Supra
Oct 7, 2009
Weston, WI
I found the leak on the pressure hose, two very minute holes. You can barely see them, but apparently they are the cause of the power steering fluid all over the engine bay. So the hose is going out, now just have to find a place where I can get a replacement.

Next mod that is going to be done on the car: short shifter FTW!

toy_dremer

uneek Supra
Oct 7, 2009
Weston, WI
So I got around in doing the short shifter mod and it turned out quite well!

Here's some pics, a little blurry (from phone)

Before
p1463860_1.jpg

After!!
p1463860_2.jpg

I gave it new threads and now have to find a shifter knob with a 7/16th inch socket, or tap it out. I would like to keep it stock so I am going to see if I can put the old shift knob back on, some how.

I am loving every second that I spend with this car, but it's killing me at the same time because I can't DRIVE IT!! Due to the power steering pressure hose holes, no exhaust (but I am going to see if I can stick some stainless steel wool in the pipe, because I have no muffler so it's super loud) Talk about red necking it out. lol

Besides not driving it I have another dilemma, what color this car is going to get. My close girl friend (who lives in Canada :canada) told me that she likes the color a lot and should keep it, but I was looking for something darker, like a magnetic grey or dark charcoal. Feedback would be greatly appreciated. :1zhelp::eek3:

remkye08

Learner
Oct 1, 2009
Round Rock, TX (Austin)
-Head gasket - 100bucks
-misc. gasket
-ARP head studs - 200bucks
-resurfaced Head - 150bucks
-Fresh Mobile 1 Full syntetic Oil and new Oil filter - 70 bucks
-new oil return hose - 150 bucks
-NGK spark plugs and wires - 150 bucks

have the pleasure to drive a MKIII

priceless!

hehehe

toy_dremer

uneek Supra
Oct 7, 2009
Weston, WI
RazoE;1463991 said:
very nice..! We should start an 86.5 Club on here..:D

We should! Because it's like the odd ball of the MKIII, it's a 1/2!!!! lol

remkye08;1463993 said:
-Head gasket - 100bucks
-misc. gasket
-ARP head studs - 200bucks
-resurfaced Head - 150bucks
-Fresh Mobile 1 Full syntetic Oil and new Oil filter - 70 bucks
-new oil return hose - 150 bucks
-NGK spark plugs and wires - 150 bucks

have the pleasure to drive a MKIII

priceless!

hehehe

It's so true!!! lol

ahuynh12;1464077 said:
keep up the good work man.

Thanks! I appreciate the encouragement!

whitemike;1464122 said:
Sounds like my car when I first bought it with that exhaust leak ;)

I don't know if I would call it a leak, more like a potato can hole. hahaha!

toy_dremer

uneek Supra
Oct 7, 2009
Weston, WI
So I went to go open a couple packages that came in the mail today;

p1464188_1.jpg

p1464188_2.jpg

I stayed with the stock filter for now because A: the're cheaper, B: The other filter was black, you couldn't see day light through it. :3d_frown:

Woo Hoo!!:biggrinbo

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
If you want a PS pressure hose, get the braided SS one that Driftmotion offers. A friend of mine (Plaaya69 on here) has it on his car and it does a very good job. Plus, you can route it how you want

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
nice ride. i'd keep the camry tho just in case you need a spare ride. also, a custom 2.5 in exhaust can be homebrewed cheap. I'd retorque that head and in the tsrm write over the factory head tq and put 75ft lbs.

toy_dremer

uneek Supra
Oct 7, 2009
Weston, WI
Do you know where your friend got the hose? Or do you think I could get it at any local car parts store?

But SS is the way to go, so I'm sure I would do that and the fact, like you said, routing it anywhere you want.

toy_dremer

uneek Supra
Oct 7, 2009
Weston, WI
Mk3runner;1464206 said:
nice ride. i'd keep the camry tho just in case you need a spare ride. also, a custom 2.5 in exhaust can be homebrewed cheap. I'd retorque that head and in the tsrm write over the factory head tq and put 75ft lbs.

I was thinking about keeping the Camry, even though it's not as fun driving. :nono:

Thanks for that info! *crosses out 58lbs, writes in 75lbs*

toy_dremer;1463860 said:
So I got around in doing the short shifter mod and it turned out quite well!

Here's some pics, a little blurry (from phone)

Before
p1465144_1.jpg

After!!
p1465144_2.jpg

I gave it new threads and now have to find a shifter knob with a 7/16th inch socket, or tap it out. I would like to keep it stock so I am going to see if I can put the old shift knob back on, some how.

I am loving every second that I spend with this car, but it's killing me at the same time because I can't DRIVE IT!! Due to the power steering pressure hose holes, no exhaust (but I am going to see if I can stick some stainless steel wool in the pipe, because I have no muffler so it's super loud) Talk about red necking it out. lol

Besides not driving it I have another dilemma, what color this car is going to get. My close girl friend (who lives in Canada :canada) told me that she likes the color a lot and should keep it, but I was looking for something darker, like a magnetic grey or dark charcoal. Feedback would be greatly appreciated. :1zhelp::eek3:

The sad part is, i like long throw shifters...small ones piss me off for some reason. But, to each his own ;]