mk3sj

Sep 11, 2013
San Jose,CA
So about a month ago I ordered a used 7mgte from JDM Tiger Japanese I heard mixed reviews about them. I saw more positive than negatives so i decided to go with it. It was roughly 1300 including shipping, their warranty starts once its been shipped. So it takes about a week to get here. While interchanging parts from my usdm one to the jdm motor we found water in the spark plugs, we assumed it was from getting washed before shipped, but we used a vacuum to suck out all the water. Then after putting on all the necessary parts we dropped her in. This was a two week process. The hardest part was fitting my original wiring harness. (before dropping in the motor) After checking and replacing all the cracked hoses we put in all the fluids. We started her up and it was running ! We let her idle for about 30 minutes but when we would give a little rev clouds of white smoke would puff out and it gave off a sweet smell. We then checked everything again and found oil behind the turbo, spark plugs 4,5,6 were somewhat wet from water or coolant, and checked inside the exhaust manifold and found oil in 4,5,6. We concluded that the head must be cracked. JDM tiger japanese has a crappy claim and I wanted a refund but they're only giving me 10 days to ship it back. Im currently in the process of pulling her out and installing all the parts it came with. What a huge waste of time and money. Oh yeah they have a 25% restocking fee either way they fu*ked me over. If anyone can help me find a good rebuilt or used 7mgte in the Bay Area or Norther California It be very appreciated. Thanks for your time !

suprafreak123

Oct 23, 2013
Costa mesa
Hey man i got a stock rebuild for $1900 on a 7m 1 year warranty.If you take the motor out yourself and bring it to them it's 600 less and 6 month warranty.I had some issues like exhaust leak and the fixed everything for free no questions asked.

mk3sj

Sep 11, 2013
San Jose,CA
Did you get it from JDM Tiger ? The thing is they are located in Canada. I'm from northern California I didn't want to trust them with an exchange because their policy clearly states all their engines are in working condition, and i don't want to deal with shipping because I was told i should be able to find a good 7mgte somewhere in California (Sacramento/LA). Where did you get your 7m from?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
With 7m your better off just rebuilding one. Comes out to around the same price and has 0 miles.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
how is it your fault that they sent you a crap motor? i would mention the word lawyer and see what that gets you. you should get all your money back.

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
Ahh damn, thats sucks. I've been told that its always best to "physically" be present and inspect a motor before committing to purchasing one....especially when its a used motor.

I once asked for advice on Tiger JDM and a few times people have referred me to these guys instead: http://www.jdmenginedepot.com/

Good luck man! And yea....I'd say you're better off rebuilding your USDM 7m; and moreso if you can't inspect a used motor before buying one. Probably what I might have to do to mine soon....currently at 105,000+miles completely stock (never modified).

P.S. F**k the restocking fee....from what you've explained that motor should have never left the shelf!

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
had a TERRIBLE experience with them last year. Bought what they listed as a 03-05 Celica 1ZZFE, they sent me a corolla 1ZZ. Celica hasa wider body and longer axles, one of which has a carrier that bolts to the block, which the corolla is not drilled/tapped for. They tried to tell me it was my fault, after a few weeks and a paypal claim, i sent them their engine and got my money back.

Bottom line: stay far far away...

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
Ordered a 7mge from them. It was a decent engine. No complaints. I guess its a hit or miss with them.

+1 on just rebuilding your current engine.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Canadian Cylinder head (they have a website) built my 7M shortblock. Graeme knows the engines very very well and does it right. George from Raptor Racing has a built shortblock from him as well. Very good work if your interested. Shortblock cost me 2800.00 CDN shipped (forged internals). He does the little things too, like prepping for MHG, etc.

Ok so here's my opinion and first hand experience. I have ordered motors from these places in this order.

1.jdmtigerjapanese- 1jzgte
2.Japanmotorimport- 2jzgte
3.jdmenginedepot- 2jzgte vvti

The motors from one and two came in about a week and a half. The motors started up with no problems. And ran just fine. Only problem I had were a couple things broken. Which could be very well just from being Shipped. The 1jz had a broken TPS, and the 2jz had a broken VSV.

The third website I actually just order from them today. The guy seems really nice. Let you guys know once I get it.