JDM engine sellers - replacing BHG motor - any recommendation(s).

MoparMarq

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Hey guys (and gals),

Second BHG on this motor, and just don't feel like (or have the time to) tear into it and discover
more problems. '86 7MGE, manual trans. 225K miles. Never run hard or raced. Up until BHG (lots of blue/white smoke), ran great with regular synthetic oil changes and coolant changes. Now, not so much (or at all, really).

I see lots of JDM engine sellers online and on eBay. Has anyone used any of these outfits? Any one of them to avoid? Are the motors any good? Anything to do on the motor besides swap the oil pan and pump? Perhaps replace existing head bolts with ARP bolts and retorque? Replace gasket on new motor w/ metal one AND the ARP bolts?

I'd be interested in any stories, positive or otherwise, to help me avoid any pitfalls.

Or maybe I should just call Pick-n-Pull and have them bring out a wrecker...

The car was my DD and it'd be nice to get it back to that status, as the Durango is not really cutting it in the fuel economy department.

Thanks in advance,
-Marq

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
if you're getting a used JDM motor, get a 1JZ. If you get a 7M, chances are that it's either already got a BHG, or still has the head bolts torqued to 56 ft-lbs, which means that it WILL have a BHG.

Or, find a rebuilt 7M (GE or GTE) that someone has put the time into to build right. MHG, studs, new rings and bearings, new oil and water pumps. It won't be cheap, but it'll be faster than getting yours done again.

While you're at it, make sure that your cooling system is healthy.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
sell the car and pick up another one with a clean shell. If your patient, you will find a deal that will probably beat whatever your about to do. So many nice shells with good builds in the US....

but.. most of this depends on your budget.

MoparMarq

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Dan_Gyoba;1914849 said:
While you're at it, make sure that your cooling system is healthy.

Well, as far as cooling is concerned, it's had a very nice aluminum 3-row on it since the summer with a reliable Flex-a-lite dual puller and a reliable controller. So that's not been an issue.

The rest of the car I've had for 15 years and is pretty much the way I like it - manual trans, manual steering, 3.73 rear LSD out of a turbo car for fuel economy. That's kind of why I'd like to keep this one rather than find another.

Perhaps someone can recommend a decent engine builder in the Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA area who knows his way around the 7MGE? Maybe I can find me a core 7M to bring to him while my car is inoperative, but not LOOKING like it's inoperative (i.e., no engine, nose up) - so as to keep the neighbors from making trouble.