Jan. 16th - I'm Peacing Outta Here.

EdgeSupra

Feb 19, 2006
New Jersey
I leave for Navy Basic Training on January 16th.

I'll be gone for roughly 8 weeks, hopefully be back just in time to make a trip to TX2K7 with Kurt (supra90turbo).

Then I'm off to Pensacola, FL for 'A' school, then first command, wherever that may be.
I'm going to be AD (Aviation Mechanic), so at most I'll be on an aircraft carrier a couple hundred miles offshore sending off F-15s.
I'll be four years active, four years inactive reserve.

I love how everyone at work keeps asking me what I'm doing with my car, like I'm never coming back and I have to sell it because I can't own things in the military, LOL.
I'm currently trying to buy myself a nice laptop, so when I'm travelling around I can still hit up good ol' Supramania.
I am in no way getting out of this game, I'm just gonna save my money so I can make my plans for the Supra work.
Plus I want my own place, and my ultimate goal is to start my own shop.

Even though I'll still be around for about a month, I just want to say thanks to everyone on here - the new friends that I've made, the people that have offered advice and information...you guys are fucking great!

-Justin

Disced

Pie + NYQuil = FTW
Apr 5, 2005
Edmonds, Wa
I always wonder why people jump into basic? Just because of the more simple logistisics or...?

All it takes is a 2 year degree to become an officer... Different life completely...

Anyways, good luck sir.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Justin,

Good luck with your new endeavor. HIt me up once you get to Pensacola! I'm just 60 miles away. Jake (Reign Maker) is closer than that in the other direction, and I'm sure there are several more in the short drive area.

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
Disced said:
I always wonder why people jump into basic? Just because of the more simple logistisics or...?

All it takes is a 2 year degree to become an officer... Different life completely...

Anyways, good luck sir.

That depends on which service your talking about. The Army I think will let you do with an Associates Degree, but in the Air Force I believe you have to have a Bachelors degree.
On another note, good luck in BMT man. Just remember to keep your mouth shut and do what your told and you'll go through it just fine.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Have fun in Pensacola. Try and get the number for Shaggy. He's the coolest cab driver down there. I was went to Corry Station for my school (3 miles down the road from the Naval Air Station). BTW, there isn't shit in Pensacola. Although the mall is decent.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
good luck i was in the Air Force for a bit... and as for basic its a joke my friend said a huge part of navy bmt was indoors and was pretty easy. all it is a big mind game, just do as youre told and how youre told to do it and you'll be just fine. it might seem hard while youre there and it will be very repetetive. but once its all said and done you will be able to look back on it and laugh, and remember the memories that will last forever. good luck and thanks for serving though!!

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Have fun at basic! Yea not much in Pensacola.

OT- Funny story: my sister went to school in Pensacola at PCC and my now-brother-in-law was in OCS in Pensacola at the same time and didn't meet until he graduated and my aunt was dating his dad.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Yeah I'm down in Pensacola now, going through AT school "I" level. They are not kidding, there is nothing down here. Even less since Hurricane Ivan wiped the place flat.

Congratulations on choosing the Navy. I really enjoy it. Though boot camp really sucked. They teach Marines to kill, they teach us to fold and stow. What am I going to do if I ever go to Iraq an meet some Al-Qaida? Fold and stow his ass?

Oh well. Just remember for the first four weeks all you will want to do is get the hell out of there. It's normal and everybody goes through it. After that you adjust and it gets easier. Good Luck, and I hope to see you in the mythical fleet.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I can't say a whole lot about it. But I will say that the primary focus of boot camp is attention to detail. So while they may have you do some really dumb stuff, that really doesn’t matter. What they are looking for is how well you pay attention to some of the details of what you are doing. Like when you go to fold a shirt, they are looking for someone that will pull and stretch and smooth the creases to maximize the space used for stowage. It seems really dumb and pointless to fold the shirt like that, because a fold is a fold no big deal right. And they know that, but what their concerned about is the person that pays attention to the small things Because that is important on places like the flight deck where one small detail missed or overlooked can cost someone their life.

Primarily Purposes of boot camp(in my opinion)
a. Attention to detail.
b. Attention to detail.
c. Instill discipline.
d. Remove civilian programming and insert military programming.
e. Bring you to a minimum standard of physical fitness.
f. Learn to obey orders, with a special attention to detail.

Did I mention attention to detail? Seriously, that is a big thing.

Those are the things they want you to learn before you leave there.

Also the mental stress from the sudden culture shock is more than anybody can be ready for or even be explained, so be in the best physical shape possible before you go there, so you only have one less thing to worry about.

I thought I was mentally ready for it, but after I got there I realized that I had no idea, and for the first three weeks all I wanted to do was get out of there. But it gets better after that, and now it's an achievement I'm really proud of.

Also don't go there thinking that it's going to be obstacle courses and intense training day in and day out, while that stuff is involved(not the obstacle course) they focused more on the stuff I listed above, and save the “beat the crap out of you till you cant walk” stuff to the marines. A lot of my buddies in my division were disappointed because it wasn't like that. Though they still do it if you screw up. They tell you when you get there, that you will either leave boot camp smart or strong. Needless to say my division left really strong. We were the first division in a long time to graduate with no PRT failures. We got beat a lot because we screwed up a lot of things, oh well.

The best advice I can give to anybody planning to go through it is you have to take it one day at a time. That is an absolute, otherwise it will break you. However if you do make it through you will have a newfound respect for what you can do and what you can achieve. It's something you will be amazed by. As most of us have no idea what our true limits are.

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
dirgle said:
a. Attention to detail.
b. Attention to detail.
c. Instill discipline.

couldnt have said it better myself ,oh and edge dont worrie if no matter what yah do you cant seem to keep your barracks clean, your instructors will always find something ALWAYS, it just mind games once you get past that its easy

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
dirgle said:
I can't say a whole lot about it. But I will say that the primary focus of boot camp is attention to detail. So while they may have you do some really dumb stuff, that really doesn’t matter. What they are looking for is how well you pay attention to some of the details of what you are doing. Like when you go to fold a shirt, they are looking for someone that will pull and stretch and smooth the creases to maximize the space used for stowage. It seems really dumb and pointless to fold the shirt like that, because a fold is a fold no big deal right. And they know that, but what their concerned about is the person that pays attention to the small things Because that is important on places like the flight deck where one small detail missed or overlooked can cost someone their life.

a. Attention to detail.
b. Attention to detail.
c. Instill discipline.

Did I mention attention to detail? Seriously, that is a big thing.

Those are the things they want you to learn before you leave there.

Also the mental stress from the sudden culture shock is more than anybody can be ready for or even be explained, so be in the best physical shape possible before you go there, so you only have one less thing to worry about.

I thought I was mentally ready for it, but after I got there I realized that I had no idea, and for the first three weeks all I wanted to do was get out of there. But it gets better after that, and now it's an achievement I'm really proud of.

Also don't go there thinking that it's going to be obstacle courses and intense training day in and day out, while that stuff is involved(not the obstacle course) they focused more on the stuff I listed above, and save the “beat the crap out of you till you cant walk” stuff to the marines. A lot of my buddies in my division were disappointed because it wasn't like that. Though they still do it if you screw up. They tell you when you get there, that you will either leave boot camp smart or strong. Needless to say my division left really strong. We were the first division in a long time to graduate with no PRT failures. We got beat a lot because we screwed up a lot of things, oh well.

The best advice I can give to anybody planning to go through it is you have to take it one day at a time. That is an absolute, otherwise it will break you. However if you do make it through you will have a newfound respect for what you can do and what you can achieve. It's something you will be amazed by. As most of us have no idea what our true limits are.

I see. I was thinking something along the attention to detail lines.

In all honesty man, you'll be fine. It's 8 weeks, and from the way it sounds you don't get beat unless you really f up. My company got beat for 14 weeks straight up untill the day we graduated Army infantry training. Some guys even got smoked in front of their families on graduation day, lmao!

edit: oh, one more thing. Jan. 16th is the date I left for basic training this year! Pretty funny. Didn't finish untill cinco de mayo. Good luck!

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
figgie said:
F-15?? Navy??? nononono

F-14 and F-18's ;)

Hehe, yeah I was trying to picture an F-15 taking off and landing on a carrier

But good luck man, it's all like 75% mental 25% physical. You WILL be your worst enemy there. Just try to keep your mind off of all the bullshit you will be going through and you'll be golden.

EdgeSupra

Feb 19, 2006
New Jersey
Thanks guys!
Once I get to Basic, I WILL tryout for SEALs.
Just came from a DEP meeting actually, and talked to a SEAL coordinator.