It's official, I am the biggest idiot on SM. Help with cooling passage blockage

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Well, today I was removing the big orange earplugs I used to plug the head bolt holes in the block......

I was using a pick to remove them because I shoved them beneath the deck level so I could clean gasket material off the block. As I pulled one of them out, it did a slow-motion triple back-flip before lining itself up to dive straight into the hole shown in the picture.

It can no longer be seen. Any way to get it out? Or did I just add some extra $$$ to my build, lol .... crap .... no - lol :biglaugh:

6g9jvv4.jpg

BTW - engine is still in the car, just got this pic for illustration purposes.

Ideas?

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Tilt the engine on its side and use an air compressor with an air chuck if you have one and see if you can get it close to the hole and fish it out. Or get it close to the hole and get a paperclip and heat it up and melt the ear plug in half and it should come out easier with some pliers or something.

Only thing I can think of. Good Luck.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
AF1JZ said:
Tilt the engine on its side and use an air compressor with an air chuck if you have one and see if you can get it close to the hole and fish it out. Or get it close to the hole and get a paperclip and heat it up and melt the ear plug in half and it should come out easier with some pliers or something.

Only thing I can think of. Good Luck.

You missed the best part - the engine is still in the car....

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
I'm sorry but that made me laugh really hard, the slow-motion triple back flip action. :eek:ffwall:

But try checkin the pan like MDC said, maybe run some oil through it to help it if it got stuck on its way...to the olympics :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
dugums said:
You missed the best part - the engine is still in the car....

Ooops, I guess I did. Well then, pull the block from the car and try what I said.....Just Kidding. Try getting a shop vac and taping on one of those big slurpee straws at the end of the vacuum hose and you might be able to get it down there deep enough.

NeatOman

Never know enough!
Oct 5, 2006
Addison, IL
I hear that the foam adds lubrication... really!

j/k... make sure to put a rag in between the straw and the vac. so that way you can tell if you got the peace or not.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
MDCmotorsports said:
IIRC thats an oil return galley. Check the oil pan...

****EDIT. I don't mind you using my pictures, just ask next time eh?

Is that your picture? - Found it on google images.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I think the supra gods are sending me a message that I'm supposed to take the block out and do this the right way, lol

TurboSupra7

Apr 9, 2005
Olathe, Kansas
just go get one of those long flexible tubes with the little claw on the end. You squeeze down on the plunger on the opposite side of the tube and it opens and closes the claw on the oher end.

Know what I'm talking about?

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
TurboSupra7 said:
just go get one of those long flexible tubes with the little claw on the end. You squeeze down on the plunger on the opposite side of the tube and it opens and closes the claw on the oher end.

Know what I'm talking about?

Yes, I know what you're talking about. I guess I can try it - seems like difficult fishing though, as I have no clue how far/what direction the earplug even went.

Whasian

CEO of HAS
Jun 12, 2007
Houston
www.myspace.com
This is going to sound really retard no matter how I say it, but you know how vacuum cleaners have that needle type attachment. What you can do is drain the pan, leave the oil pan bolt out and take that attachment and place it down the top side of the block (where the plug fell into) and it should pull right out (if you have a good vacuum) becuase I doubt that the plug is really far down in there. I dropped a bolt once in there and that was how I got it out. (I have a kirby vacuum cleaner)

Whasian

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Whasian said:
This is going to sound really retard no matter how I say it, but you know how vacuum cleaners have that needle type attachment. What you can do is drain the pan, leave the oil pan bolt out and take that attachment and place it down the top side of the block (where the plug fell into) and it should pull right out (if you have a good vacuum) becuase I doubt that the plug is really far down in there. I dropped a bolt once in there and that was how I got it out. (I have a kirby vacuum cleaner)

Whasian

I was thinking I'd go try to find a good vacuum attachment. I just got a new shop-vac, this will be it's first duty. <<fingers crossed>>

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Thanks for all the tips - it will be my project for tomorrow. I'll update with progress or perhaps further idiocy!