Is this ok to do?

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
Lexington, South Carolina
Alright, I have an 87 NA Auto that I am converting to five speed and turbo. The engine is from an 89+ and i have the wire harness to go with it. My question is would be alright to use the grey plug ecu with my car? I think it will be ok, but I wanna ask before I do it. The engine and tranny is already put in :D. Got in yesterday. (4/26/09)

JZa80

Mar 6, 2009
WI
you will need the 89 harness im pretty sure. but reading your sig. that w58 wont last long

Zapp

Dec 6, 2008
Chicago
RazoE;1305551 said:
I'm pushing 300+ hp on my W58, it's holding up fine so far..

the stock clutch won't hold anything though, that's for damn sure..

yeah...I know alot of people doing 1uz swaps are using the w58, so apparently it can handle the v8 torque.

T-MA71

Always broken down member
Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
Yea, the W58 is lasting me more than I thought too. My stock clutch wont hold more than 12psi. More than that and it'll start slipping but thats just the clutch. The tranny im sure can hold more than that with an Aftermarket clutch.

I'm using a grey plug ecu and engine harness. No problems at all other than that my brother and I had to wire our own relay for the headlights because they didn't work after the swap. It wasn't much of a problem though. :)

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
T-MA71;1305561 said:
Yea, the W58 is lasting me more than I thought too. My stock clutch wont hold more than 12psi. More than that and it'll start slipping but thats just the clutch. The tranny im sure can hold more than that with an Aftermarket clutch.

I'm using a grey plug ecu and engine harness. No problems at all other than that my brother and I had to wire our own relay for the headlights because they didn't work after the swap. It wasn't much of a problem though. :)

I'm running a stage 3 clutch on my w58. I also have a backup w58 just in case of explosion, haha. And yes, I have the 89 harness that goes to my engine. I guess the only thing that I was concerned about was the grey plug harness plugging into my existing dash harness. Did you do this also? And did you encounter any problems with it plugging in besides the headlights not working properly?

T-MA71

Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
primercrx;1305643 said:
I'm running a stage 3 clutch on my w58. I also have a backup w58 just in case of explosion, haha. And yes, I have the 89 harness that goes to my engine. I guess the only thing that I was concerned about was the grey plug harness plugging into my existing dash harness. Did you do this also? And did you encounter any problems with it plugging in besides the headlights not working properly?

Nope, only problem i had were the headlights. Spent like 20 bucks at pep boys and wired a seperate relay for the lights.

T-MA71

Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
I only had to get this little kit they have In all pepboys i assume. I'm sure if you go ask them they'll be able to find it for you. Assuming all the store layouts are the same, where I found mine was in the APC foglight section. I'll take a pic of how i have mine set-up tomorrow. It's too dark to take one right now.

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
T-MA71;1306788 said:
I only had to get this little kit they have In all pepboys i assume. I'm sure if you go ask them they'll be able to find it for you. Assuming all the store layouts are the same, where I found mine was in the APC foglight section. I'll take a pic of how i have mine set-up tomorrow. It's too dark to take one right now.

Alright, sounds good. Thanks man.

T-MA71

Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
Sorry it took so long to get pics it has been raining like everyday and the nice days i've been working :3d_frown:. Anyways, here they are!

Im using a 12V 30A relay.

p1311622_1.jpg

Thats where you want the 12v to go when you turn the switch. In my case i leave the extra headlight switch i added always on. The headlights stay on even when the motors are switched to off through the stock switches.
p1311622_2.jpg

12V 30A Relay
p1311622_3.jpg

and the extra switch and where i put it.
p1311622_4.jpg

Hope these help! :)

T-MA71

Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
I know I know. I'm swapping to a yellow harness i just need the ECU that's why it's like that. So all that wiring and junk is going to tossed.

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
T-MA71;1311944 said:
I know I know. I'm swapping to a yellow harness i just need the ECU that's why it's like that. So all that wiring and junk is going to tossed.

Got another question pertaining to the harness/ecu. I got the 89+ ecu and harness on the engine and clipped into the ecu and dash harness. However, one plug does not fit from the 89+ harness into my existing 87 body harness. The body harness plug is the 5 pin rectangular plug. The 89 plug is just a little to big to plug into and has 2 or 3 additional wires. Anyone know what this plug is/does? Can I just fix it by splicing an 87 plug onto it?

T-MA71

Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
primercrx;1314390 said:
Got another question pertaining to the harness/ecu. I got the 89+ ecu and harness on the engine and clipped into the ecu and dash harness. However, one plug does not fit from the 89+ harness into my existing 87 body harness. The body harness plug is the 5 pin rectangular plug. The 89 plug is just a little to big to plug into and has 2 or 3 additional wires. Anyone know what this plug is/does? Can I just fix it by splicing an 87 plug onto it?

Any pics of said plug? Are you using an auto harness and ecu?

Zelfear

Helping everyone else
Jan 21, 2009
SC
His car is an auto. He is using a manual 89+ ecu and engine harness. He has gone to get a picture now. I'm just wondering why the headlight didn't work. Does anyone have any wiring diagrams for the 87 dash harness and the 89 engine harness? If I had those it wouldn't be a problem to figure out.

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
jetjock;1314468 said:
Connector B1...

I am also considering this alternative. Tell me what you think jetjock. I was considering using my 87 engine harness and splicing in the connectors that are different from 87-88 and 89+. Is this a bad idea or it would it just be easier to just use the 89 harness and fix that one connector in the dash?