is this a good head unit

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
I have no idea about Sounds systems. When i was sold my car the guy who sold it to me ripped out his nice head unit amps and Subs. All i have in the car are the speakers in the stock location. I have no idea what brand. I know the fronts look like carbon Fiber for the cone and they have a tweeter as far as i can tell in the middle of the cone.

This is the head unit i was looking at. I wanted to get one that would be a good for now but also somehting i would not have to change later to put in a better sounds system

Its a JVC KD-G820
10071823.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JVC-...008QQitemZ180064615742QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

If this is not a good unit. Then what is for aporx the same price and funcionality. I like the USB bit for pluging in a USB Stick with MP3's especially since you can get some huge USB Sticks now. Ipod bit is always good. The Satalite radio is cool, but i dont think i will ever use it. Obviously i want the basics like MP3 Cd's and that stuff. I have not seen a regular head unit that will do DVD-MP3 Discs. I think only some of the nice screen ones will do that right?

either way please endow some of your great knowledge on me :)

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
i have an alpine with an ipod cable and its the coolest thing. you can control the ipod from the head unit and it charges your ipod at the same time.

coreybear08

Aug 21, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
i LOVE my JVC!!!!!

simple as that!! easy to use...clean looks...amazing performance!!

its a good head unit IMO and that USB drive will be SOOOOOOO useful!! not to mention if you dont have a USB drive you can always put music on a CD in data form and have yourself a niice little cd with over 100songs easily

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
That's a very good headunit, top of the line for JVC and pretty much top of the line overall. That's definently a good deal on Ebay, it retails at my work for $260.

-Matt

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I have no love for JVC, only because I have found there internal amps to be a little on the weak side. It does not take much for them to burn out. Luckly the IC's are really cheap( $5- $10), so if they do burn out and your good with a soldering iron they are cheap to fix.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I bought THIS ONE and I love it. Not only was price amazing, but the feature set is incredible and provides a ton of tuning potential. A couple of the features not mentioned in the blurbs about it that I found out when I read the manual is that you can set the crossover frequency internally for the ront and rear channels seperately and it also allows you to choose the type of speakers you are running on each cahnnel and the deck optomizes output for them. So for example I have my front channel set to HPF 120Hz and optomized for 4"/5" speakers.

Ita lso comes with a software disk that installs a very good "media manager" thats better than Windows Media Player and similiar to iTunes. It is specifically written for the Kenwood HU and when you create your USB library it writes a voice prompt that tells you the folder you are switching to.

And yes, USB is sweet. Im using a flash drive for right now, but Im going to buy a 100-120GB 2.5" portable hard drive and load my entire music library on it and hide it in my center console. I will never need to use the CD function ever again.

PS. that link is my actual auction, thats what I paid for it, That deck retails for $249. Check this guys auction list...he has really good prices on Kenwood. The shipping was incredibly fast and the product was a brand new box, never been opened.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Which deck are you refering to? My Kenwood reads my 20GB portable drive and works great. I have my entire musci library on it and cant see needing the CD portion ever.