is there such a thing as too small a battery?

FLMK3SUPRA

MK3forLIFE
Feb 17, 2008
Riverview, FL
You might want to make sure Your grounded properly it made the differance with my friend who was going though the same thing you are. We took some grounding strap and ran it from the engine block to the frame and the drain stopped. I think its a ground issue.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
when i bought my car the battery was already relocated. i dont like where it is because i couldnt ever fit the top in the hatch with the battery box back there.

when the previous owner relocated the battery in my car he welded a steel plate in the hatch area with a stud to ground the battery to.

tweak666

May 11, 2006
boca raton, FL
FLMK3SUPRA;1180326 said:
You might want to make sure Your grounded properly it made the differance with my friend who was going though the same thing you are. We took some grounding strap and ran it from the engine block to the frame and the drain stopped. I think its a ground issue.

i thought the block ground directly to the battery, where is the second ground originate and terminate? can i use the same stud that the block to battery ground uses?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
NashMan;1179958 said:
just so you know you can ground a batteir any were in the hatch
Bad idea.

NashMan said:
some people take it over bord and run an extra ground to the block witch is not needed in most case's
Very, very good idea, and exactly how it SHOULD be done in our cars.

Poodles;1180018 said:
- Relocation of a battery is dumb on several levels. Namely because we're a hack back car and the trunk isn't seperated from the cabin (toxic fumes). You won't pass tech at a drag strip without a box with a proper vent, and a cutoff switch.

Depends on what you're using the car for. Moving weight from the front to the rear of our cars is a good thing. As you said, properly relocating the batter is a MUST. (Which is how I'm doing it, but with a lightweight battery)

bmoss85;1180067 said:
cant you use something similiar to an optima battery? they dont need to vent do they?
As IJ. and Poodles stated, 1) they don't vent below 15v, and 2) you still need a box to pass tech inspection.

FLMK3SUPRA;1180326 said:
;) I never understand why people trust our stock, old, rusting chassis to provide a good, solid main ground from the battery in the trunk, all the way to the engine. A dedicated ground to the engine block is a MUST!

bmoss85

Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
i have a real battery box, just need to find some where else to put it so i can still have a place to put my top.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
How about the engine bay? :sarcasm:

To be honest, there is really only one reason I would relocate the battery, and that's if I had a FFIM, but I would try REALLY hard to work around the battery.

Relocating it properly isn't cheap...

bmoss85

Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
Poodles;1180599 said:
How about the engine bay? :sarcasm:

To be honest, there is really only one reason I would relocate the battery, and that's if I had a FFIM, but I would try REALLY hard to work around the battery.

Relocating it properly isn't cheap...

thats why it was relocated by the previous owner, for his ffim.

CATarga

May 22, 2008
Grass Valley, CA
All the battery is supposed to do is start the car, nothing else. All of the lights and accessories are supposed to run off of the alternator when the car is running. Unless you have a huge amp and speakers it isn't likely the stereo draining the battery while driving. It is likely either that the alternator is starting to fail, you have a bad cell in the battery, or as mentioned you have a parasitic draw that is draining the battery while the engine is off. The intermittent start issue is can be associated with all 3, and it is just a matter of timing when you go to start it up and it starts or it doesn't. As mentioned run the car by any auto store tire/battery shop and have them test the alternator on the car, most should do it for free, I know both Kragen's and Sears automotive do it for free.

Mikek3

Sep 2, 2008
South Florida
I had to bring a battery when i bought my supra and all i had at the time was a honda civic battery(very small) and it would go dead overnight since i bought a larger used battery for 20 bucks i never have that problem anymore so maybe it is a battery size issue, i went from 300cca to 700cca and i think that made the difference just my .02

tweak666

May 11, 2006
boca raton, FL
Poodles;1180018 said:
Couple facts:
- Stock setup has a drain...we have a factory alarm.

I totally missed this. Ok, i took a look at the TSRM, but have a question. If I remove the theft deterrent computer? would the car still start? It looks like the only problem is pin 13, which i guess is the ground for the starter relay, though I'm not sure I'm reading it right. If thats the case, can i ground pin 13 in the harness to the chassis, and just give up electronic locks?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
shaeff

Bad idea. (Nope it's called comon sence) ground to a good ground spot not to pech of tin that has 3 spot welds

for example ground in the hatch under the main fram rail this peacs is heavly spot welded

at enigne run ground wire from frame rail or at lest close by it

if you have very heavy load ( high comp motor or just plain big motor ) then a cable might be an option

Very, very good idea, and exactly how it SHOULD be done in our cars. (not so if done right our cars don't have any the thingys above to harm it

bmws have bean grounding to chassie in the back for year's and many other cars

so yes i was kinda vage on it but all these things are ture

here is another reson

i had big boom system
really greeddy fans
and my batteri was in the back

i never had pause wheil cranking my car with my lights on

so if it was an issue it whould have paused for breif wheil

you can argue with but fact's are fact's if done right it will work fine