Is there anyone rebuilding Wiring Harnesses?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I remember a while back somebody repairing wiring harnesses and bringing them back to life. It wasn't cheap, but looked to be a very thorough fixing. Is that person still around? I'm pretty sure I'd recognize the s/n if I saw it.

My harness is basically shit. I need to replace it this spring/summer as soon as I can. I have connectors literally falling apart and wires falling into pieces. I was hoping to buy one brand new, but I guess they are all discontinued. Am I going to have to rebuild it on my own, wire by wire, connector by connector? If it comes down to that, I can accept that. I'll get damn good at crimping terminals by the end... :nono:

If there is anyone around that remembers who offered the wiring harness rebuild service, please post it up!

Thanks!

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
This don't help right away but, back in November I saw show the showcased a company called Rywire that made complete wiring harneses using aircraft wire and quality insulated wire for hondas. I contacted them and let them know about the huge global Supra Community, they wrote back and said they hoped to have something for Supras by the summer 2011. That will surely help alot of folks out because the prices seemed resonable.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Mil spec stuff is quite common and not to pricey for the quality. The stuff I'm going to use is .10-.20 cents a foot. Driftmotion has most of the connectors now on their site as well. Other wise mouser and a few other sites should have no problem getting the correct pins and even most connectors.

I'll be doing a full rewire on everything under the hood in a month or so. I'll be posting all the part numbers and pins as they get replaced.. I've got the tools now just need the time! Not much help now but if you do end up waiting..

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
I need the pre 89 o2 sensor plug bad. One of the 3 wires broke short & i was getting 9 MPG (supermonitor) & i did a little ghetto re wiring & im getting 17 MPG but i need a fix because it's still a problem after all.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Well it drives fine the way it stands, so I can wait if need be. I just want to get it fixed soon (within 6 months). I'll have to check out Rywire and wait for a response from Dr. Tweak.

I'm not looking forward to doing all myself piece by piece since just about the entire f-ing harness needs to be redone, so a pre-setup harness would be incredible.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
If i can find out where to get my entire harness clipse and pins i would redo it myself. I've gotten a quote of $1,000+ to redo my harness depending on options. Expensive well worth it but i'm a DIY type of person.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
GrimJack;1674444 said:
DrTweak will sell you the clips and pins, too. I've bought a bunch from him.

Yea i've gotten a few from him myself, but IIRC he doesn't sell them all. Plus he's a lil pricey with them. 10/15 bux for certain connectors and a buck for terminals and a buck for seals it adds up quickly too. Driftmotion has em beat for everything.... Just checked cheapest plug is 12 and 1 dollar for terminal, and 1 dollar for seal. DM got seals and terminals for .50 a pc and their connectors are $3-5 cheaper

Gota7MGTE;1674447 said:
No shit? SERIOUSLY?? I feel like a fool now:: facepalm :: I been looking for o2 Sensor plug for pre 89. you think hes got that?

Listing ---
http://www.phoenixtuning.com/zensto...ex&cPath=867&zenid=91t0cafho3e7ji7i2n03iqq376

3Wire o2 Plug
http://www.phoenixtuning.com/zensto...ucts_id=2977&zenid=91t0cafho3e7ji7i2n03iqq376

zby67

Nov 15, 2010
Texas
suprageezer;1674010 said:
This don't help right away but, back in November I saw show the showcased a company called Rywire that made complete wiring harneses using aircraft wire and quality insulated wire for hondas. I contacted them and let them know about the huge global Supra Community, they wrote back and said they hoped to have something for Supras by the summer 2011. That will surely help alot of folks out because the prices seemed resonable.

that sounds good! hope it happens!

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
OneJArpus;1674455 said:
Yea i've gotten a few from him myself, but IIRC he doesn't sell them all. Plus he's a lil pricey with them. 10/15 bux for certain connectors and a buck for terminals and a buck for seals it adds up quickly too. Driftmotion has em beat for everything.... Just checked cheapest plug is 12 and 1 dollar for terminal, and 1 dollar for seal. DM got seals and terminals for .50 a pc and their connectors are $3-5 cheaper

Listing ---
http://www.phoenixtuning.com/zensto...ex&cPath=867&zenid=91t0cafho3e7ji7i2n03iqq376

3Wire o2 Plug
http://www.phoenixtuning.com/zensto...ucts_id=2977&zenid=91t0cafho3e7ji7i2n03iqq376

That O2 Plug isn't for a Pre 89 7M, its for a 2JZGTE. Lol

KpSupra

Jan 17, 2008
Trussville, Al.
If your wiring harness has not gotten brittle by now, it will soon. I had connectors that were so eaten up the pins were exposed but they still worked fine. It's a good chance that if you are having wiring issues it is probably the wires and not the pins. They slowly deteriorate after years of heat and cold. I went to Megasquirt because a wiring harness can be bought with it. I think it was about $1k for everything (MS, wiring harness, boost controller, sensors, etc.)

ae86ma70

Jul 24, 2008
Atlanta
That sounds like a lot for a MS setup. Is it MS3 PnP? And did you buy an aftermarket boost controller with it or just a solenoid that the MS controls? Just curious. Pull-a-Part is your friend for connectors and such.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I got no answer from Dr Tweak using a PM on here. I'll have to email his shop or give him a call. I really want a whole new harness. My wires are complete crap. I'd be willing to shell out 500 for sure, beyond that and I'd have to consider some alternatives.

I wish somebody had a fresh one lying around. :(

ae86ma70

Jul 24, 2008
Atlanta
suprarx7nut;1676970 said:
I wish somebody had a fresh one lying around. :(

Hahahahahhaha. Someone does. They're called "The Stealership." At least they told me they could get one and quoted some price so ridiculous I don't even remember what it was.

Have you thought about just using both sides of a slightly different OEM connector for the O2 sensor wiring? Maybe buy a weatherpack terminal kit and some crimpers from DIYAutotune and just convert it? Or post an ad in the FS section? Just trying to give you ideas. I've got two plastic totes full of miscellaneous wiring "bits and bobs" from assorted wiring harnesses that I'm too neurotic to throw away because I or someone else might have need of it some day in the distant future. Call me a collector, I guess.

I used to run an AFC Neo and had it T-Tapped into the ECU wiring. Then later when I was first trying to get my car running on the AEM, I ran into some weird misfire problems on the dyno, the cause of which were not immediately clear. (unnecessary details omitted) In my troubleshooting efforts I took the car completely back to stock a few steps at a time to try and isolate the problem, and when all else failed I started repairing any wiring that I thought might be suspect. This included coolant temp sensor connectors, AFM wiring that was spliced or cut to add MAP and AIT sensors for speed density, and the previously mentioned nicked ECU wiring. Also, one of my ECU plugs had a broken clip, so I wanted to de-pin and replace it as well. I spent a few hours at the pull-a-part cutting various connectors and wiring out of cars that share the same ECU plugs. Find the list here:
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/diypnp-nippon-denso-52pin-unassembled-kit-p-390.html

I also used a lot of non-insulated butt connectors and good 3M heatshrink tubing. Some will argue that soldering is best, and there's a lot to be said for good solder joints, but if crimps are good enough for OEM, they're good enough for me. Except I don't use that nasty tape.