is my engine toast?

terror

Antibliss
Jun 13, 2008
Alaska
ok, so the other day when i got into boost i noticed what sounded like a very quick smacking and sounded like it was coming from the rear turbo, the car pulled just fine and reached 14psi without any problems with the AFRs all in check. the noise only happens as soon as i go into the +. today after a cold night and not driving it for about a day i started it up i checked the dipstick and it was slightly milky, i checked under the oil cap and it too was slightly milky :(. i drove home and checked it again and there was no signs milkyness, the car runs fine apart from a tab bit of smoke a bit afterstart up and doesnt over heat.the car is parked now and
im going to perforrm a compression check tomorrow to see if the headgasket is toast but my question is, is it possible for coolant to leak through one of the turbos into the oil supply? and now that coolant maybe in the oil, is the head and block toast? lemme know what u guys think it may be thanks.
sorry for the paragraph.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
seems unlikely to me that the coolant is getting into your oil through the turbo. it is also possible to have a leaking head gasket and still get a good compression reading. I would keep an eye on the coolant level, and smell your exhaust. If its sweet smelling...big trouble, if its using coolant, big trouble.

At least the JZ motors are pretty easy to work on. GOOD LUCK.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Are you getting any white smoke? Are you losing coolant? When you checked your oil, was it higher on the dipstick than it normally is like it has more liquid in the pan?

Do a compression or leak down test and post the numbers up for us to look at.

terror

Antibliss
Jun 13, 2008
Alaska
ive been getting a bit of white smoke a bit after start up but then it goes away and does not smell sweet, i passed it off as valve seals. but otherwise the oil seemed to be at the right level and i haven lost any coolant

terror

Antibliss
Jun 13, 2008
Alaska
i was also wondering if the milkshake on the dipstick could of been caused by excess condensation because of the change in weather, but either way im about to do the compression check

terror

Antibliss
Jun 13, 2008
Alaska
compression check results turned out to range from 145 to 150 psi cold. these seem normal. if a headgasket can still be bad but hold compression how can i test that. anyother tips, should i perform a leakdown test? im going to pull the twins tomorrow to inspect em, anytips?

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
When my head gasket started to go (7mgte) there would only be puffs of smoke when boosting. What I found out is at the very begging of the HG going it still holds fine while cold and only when boost put on would it leak. That is why a compression test is not 100% to diagnose a blown HG. I think autozone or NAPA sells some kind of kit that will tell you if you have exhaust gasses in your coolant. A leakdown test may not 100% show a blown HG either.

Hope that helps some.

Steve

green

Dec 17, 2007
Toronto
in terms of the milkyness under the oil cap it could be due to change in weather so dont rule that you have a blown head gasket. good luck and hope that its not the head gasket.

dsm_tuner260

Nov 1, 2009
Fort Wayne, Indiana
pull the plugs look into the cyl with a flashlight look for coolant that way. and pressure check the cooling system. when you pulled your plugs what color where they and how old are they.

you might want to pull your dp off to see if coolant is leaking thru the turbos.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
For comparison purposes ;)

toastSliceWhiteBkgd.jpg

terror

Antibliss
Jun 13, 2008
Alaska
plugs looked fine, down pipe is dry, if been trying to get the twins off the manifolds for the past 3 hours with no luck, i hate them. any tips