Is my ct26 burning my oil?

Mightymousekid

Sep 22, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
Hey what's up dudes? I already searched and researched my problem and kind of have an idea of what it is? I'm sorry if there's a similar post out there but I honestly haven't found an answer. Well I just bought 1990 targa turbo and ever since I got it, it's always had a burnt smell coming from the drivers side bottom. So i know I have a few leaks and all and fixed the major ones. But recently it started burning a lot of oil, prior to what it was since I got it. And the weirdest thing is after the car is really hot is when the smell is at it's strongest. Well just a week ago I was coming from work and noticed a cloud of smoke coming into my window (noting that I was in the freeway and engine hot). So after that day, my oil loss and smoke have been getting real strong, but only when the engine is hot. I'm assuming it might be turbo related from the posts I've seen. Can you guys show me how I can test the turbo or if it's even the turbo? I'm thinking of getting an upgraded ct26 57 trim. If it happens to be the turbo. Thanks for everything.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Oil in the Intercooler piping = blown turbo seals and oil leaking into the induction system. Pull off the cold pip running from the intercooler to the throttlebody...or get under the car and disconnect the hotpipe running from the turbo to the intercooler (there is a coupling just after the bracket under the car where you can pull the piping off).

From my personal experience, Oil leaking from somewhere into the outside of the turbo = lots of smoke coming from under the hood...especially when hot and running.

I'm guessing the smoke is from the oil leaking onto the turbo and/or the exhaust...just my .02

Either way, if you can't figure it out, bring it to someone who can..and if you don't trust any mechanics..bring it to a dealership...remember oil is the lifeblood of your car and should not be taken lightly if leaking like crazy.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
could be a combination of problems, could be that you're leak onto something hot in the engine bay while the smoke coming from your exhaust is a poor valve seal. A lot of times with bad turbo seals blue smoke is quite visible and often.

Mightymousekid

Sep 22, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
Ok, first I'll check the downpipe, then the inter cooler pipe, etc. What's blowby? If it's the seals can I just by them and put them on like a gasket? Or would I need a new turbo? I will get back to you guys asap! Thanks for the help!!!

Mightymousekid

Sep 22, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
There's a bunch of oil in the ic pipes, I didn't get to check the downpipe only because it was still hot. How will I know if it's blowby from the valve seals or the turbo seals??? If there's oil in the downpipe would that be the turbo??

Mightymousekid

Sep 22, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
Ok I checked the downpipe. But theres no oil whatsoever!! But I checked the turn and there's quite a bit of oil on there and the intake pipe to it and the surrounding others. As I said it starts smoking real bad right after the car gets hot. There also was a bit of shaft play!! So how would I really know if it's the valve seals or the turbo seals??? Please help someone!!!!!!

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Valve seals will get oil into the cylinders then blow it out of the exhaust so you would have oil in your down pipe. This would not put oil in your ic. If there is oil in the ic it should be from the compressor housing in the turbo, or more specifically the front shaft seal in the turbo.

Mightymousekid

Sep 22, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
So what would I have to replace here? The turbo or could I just buy a gasket? Im having a mechanic to checknout my car today. Well there's oil all over the turbo intake pipe, the pipe coming from ic to the turbo and the 3000 pipe. Is it safe to say its the turbo? I don't wanna waste 200 on a new turbo and then find out it's the valve seals.

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
I had the same problem with constant smoking and oil consumption. When I pulled the intake pipe off, the inlet of the turbo was coated in oil, as were the intercooler and charge pipes. My Toyota service tech friend ( and fellow Mk3 turbo owner) took one look at it and said " Turbo oil seals are shot." Not saying that is your problem for sure since I am not physically looking at your car right now, but it does sound like the same thing as I experienced. Can you post a pic or two of the turbo inlet and charge pipes for verification? On a separate note, where are you getting a new turbo for 2 bills? :) GL

Mightymousekid

Sep 22, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
Sounds identical to my problem. All my pipes are coated in oil. Did you supra burn oil only after a few minutes of being on? I'm getting a reconstructed one in San bernardino Cali. You turn in your cote and you get 50 bones off the turbo. I'm getting a ct26 57 trim turbo. Want the number?

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
My car would burn oil even at start-up, but yes, it got worse when hot or when idling @ the drive thru or in traffic. Oddly enough, when driven sedately (NO boosting) for a few miles, the exhaust smelled almost normal and free of oil. Yes, I would like the number for the place if you would give it to me and thank you in advance.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
If you have oil in your ic coming from the turbo the only place it can come from is the turbo. You can rebuild yours if you want just look around there are a couple of walk throughs that will show you how. Make sure you follow them and pay attention to the fact its a left handed thread on the shaft. Might want to pull out your intercooler and clean it out cause its probably full of oil too.

Mightymousekid

Sep 22, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
Thanks dude!!! I will check! Guess what happened today? My car over heated! The temp sensor went out, along with power to my windows and rpm meter. Have any idea what it could be????

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
Wow thats one problem afyer another!
Now you state there is shaft play on your turbo?That could possibly be what is allowing oil into the system,correct me if i am wrong.
Your over heating is another thing.Did you have adequate fluid in the radiator?

Mightymousekid

Sep 22, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
Yepp. It had plenty of 50/50 antifreeze. I'm thinking some of my fuses shorted out and is what fucked up my sensors and the windows. And I noticed water dripping off the bottom radiator hose. I'm gonna check it out tomorrow. It's funny though, as soon as I parked the radiator just blew. I'm thinking maybe a stuck thermostat???