Is it OK to submerge and clean injectors in a parts cleaner?

rob21a48422

1JZ+Holset=Go Fast!!!
Sep 7, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan
www.myspace.com
I'm curious if it's ok to dunk injectors in a parts cleaner without harming them. I know that they need to be sent to RC or Witchunter to be cleaned and flowtested correctly but these are just some JDM 440's I'm putting in my 1JZ to get the car running. I won't be turning boost up past 8psi until I have some 550's that have been cleaned and flow tested. I have access to a brand new parts cleaner and figured it might help clean them up a little bit and dissolve any built up gunk inside the injector. I'm not talking about the spray nozzle area of the injector, just the inside where the fuel comes in from the rail. I plan on doing it unless the injectors can be harmed by this. Any responses would be appreciated.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
It only cost me $120, that includes shipping both ways, to have mine done by Witchunter. It is cheap insurance.

But, if you want to clean the injectors yourself I would suggest making a rig that pumps the cleaner threw the injector while you cycle it open and closed.
I did this to a set and had decent results.
I don't think just soaking them in a bath will do much for cleaning out the insides. Unless your tank has ultrasonic cleaning capabilities, and you would still need to cycle them.

rob21a48422

1JZ+Holset=Go Fast!!!
Sep 7, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan
www.myspace.com
Yeah, I know it's not going to do much for them but it's that or just throw them in. I don't want to put the $120 into injectors that I'm going to only be using for a few months at most. I just figured it might help clean the screens and tips somewhat. I'm mostly looking to see if it can HURT the injectors at all or damage the plastic parts of it. If it doesn't help the injectors it's no big loss, but if it can damage them then I'm skipping the cleaning and throwing them in.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
I guess it would depend on the solvent used, some specifically state to not use on plastic parts.

BTW, I'm only running mine for a short time, I have brand new RC 550s sitting here for when I put on my maftpro. It only takes one to f-up under boost to destroy stuff. Like I said 120 is cheap, in perspective to what could happen with 20 year old injectors....

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I wouldn't. If that parts cleaner has been used just ONE time, it's got tiny particles of dirt floating around in it. Allowing that dirt to get into the fuel injectors would not be good.

If you send them to RC, they'll have them back to you in just a few days.