Is bypassing the Neutral safety switch good?

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Is bypassing the Neutral safety switch good? What I want to know is and this is what I heard I could be 100% incorrect, but cars with heavier pressure plate can cause strain on a " cold " start and can wear thrust washers, would take a substantial amount of time.

Thanks for reading I hope to get answers. I am going to do it on my car "00 S2000" but I am using momentary switch so there is no toggle, the push button start has to be pressed along with the switch so you can't ever mess up. At the same time I am still going to use the clutch switch so on warm starts ( if I go into a store for 10 minutes ) I don't need to use the switch ideas and thoughts please.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
barkz;1630642 said:
bypassing wouldnt hurt, in fact it would be a good antitheft tool also. just hide a push button somewhere.

Ha well two things are wrong here. :) I was asking about if there were engine benefits, sorry if I didn't come out and say that. Second, the car can still be started by you the clutch pedal, but if you hold the switch it can be started without the clutch pedal too. Both safety features are still in the picture with no added security. The only thing I am adding is a device for cold starts to " not press the cltuch pedal in "

-e

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
None of our cars got that idiocy, you can do without it and it's good for the Thrust bearings in the engine if running an uprated PP, you just need to train yourself to NOT hit the starter unless it's in neutral or you hold the clutch down....

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
IJ.;1630662 said:
None of our cars got that idiocy, you can do without it and it's good for the Thrust bearings in the engine if running an uprated PP, you just need to train yourself to NOT hit the starter unless it's in neutral or you hold the clutch down....

Good to hear, is there any proof that this helps thrust washers? I am not questioning your knowledge it is just information coming from a forum and be misleading and I would just like further proof of articles. Any write ups or anything, I have people of importance I guess you could say that think this is a bad idea and that it does no good, but only would cause an issue because someone would forget. My setup though has the momentary switch, I press that and the push button start these cars come with and the car starts. You can also just push the clutch in and have the car start.

i.e If I was hurt and unconscious if I had a switch you had to use to start the car then they may never start it and get me to where I need to go, that see why the cltuch pedal is still in use, or you can use the switch, I don't know I just like the momentary idea that's all..

Thanks for the help!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
IJ.;1630662 said:

But northern driver were taught to put cars in gear as the e-brake can freeze during the winter (like my folks have done). I've been thinking of some way to add switches to the transmission that detect if it's in neutral for a while as there SHOULD be a way to do it.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Poodles;1630693 said:
But northern driver were taught to put cars in gear as the e-brake can freeze during the winter (like my folks have done). I've been thinking of some way to add switches to the transmission that detect if it's in neutral for a while as there SHOULD be a way to do it.

Why don't they add what I have here? I just tested it and it works awesome. Your folks can have their car in gear, all they have to do is put the shifter into neutral, and put a switch liek I have and hold that turn the key, I like the idea because it is fail safe.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The issue is they'd move my car, leave it in gear, and then I get in... My neutral switch isn't bypassed for that reason. If I was absolutely sure I would be the ONLY driver, then it wouldn't be an issue.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Poodles;1630697 said:
The issue is they'd move my car, leave it in gear, and then I get in... My neutral switch isn't bypassed for that reason. If I was absolutely sure I would be the ONLY driver, then it wouldn't be an issue.

Yes I can see that. I never park my car in gear, i just hate it. Then again I do see where you're going with this, if there was a fail safe on the transmission that would not let you bypass it until it was in "N"

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
92TealSupra;1630669 said:
Good to hear, is there any proof that this helps thrust washers?

I don't have "proof" but I can lend my experience. I helped a friend rip apart a 7M he was running for a while. Ripped apart to check why the timing belt was running inward toward the engine. It moved so far in that it was hitting the rear timing cover on top of the motor (behind the cam gears). Turns out, the pressure plate he was running was very strong, and his thrust washer on the flywheel side of the engine was GONE, there were just scraps of metal left behind. We assumed this carnage was due to the high power pressure plate + cold starting with the clutch in. The timing belt moved because the crank actually was sitting closer toward the rear of the engine than designed (due to the loss of the thrust washer).

Mike

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
whitemike;1630702 said:
I don't have "proof" but I can lend my experience. I helped a friend rip apart a 7M he was running for a while. Ripped apart to check why the timing belt was running inward toward the engine. It moved so far in that it was hitting the rear timing cover on top of the motor (behind the cam gears). Turns out, the pressure plate he was running was very strong, and his thrust washer on the flywheel side of the engine was GONE, there were just scraps of metal left behind. We assumed this carnage was due to the high power pressure plate + cold starting with the clutch in. The timing belt moved because the crank actually was sitting closer toward the rear of the engine than designed (due to the loss of the thrust washer).

Mike

That is good info, thanks for sharing. A huge reason why people's thrust washers wear fast too is because heavy duty pressure plates, + hard driving is not the greatest on Stock OEM washers, nor is is that great on aftermarket ones. Eventually they'll give out. Anther 7M down sadly.

I guess there are people out there that believe this is happening. I myself think it makes sense. I can take a technical point of view and find a correlation between what is happening, and the result, or failure on a motor.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Meh I ALWAYS leave manual cars in gear as I don't trust the e-brake alone to hold it....

It becomes second nature to wobble the shifter to make sure it's in "N"..

No real proof other than I've never personally crank walked an engine even running some retardedly heavy clutches.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
IJ.;1630706 said:
Meh I ALWAYS leave manual cars in gear as I don't trust the e-brake alone to hold it....

It becomes second nature to wobble the shifter to make sure it's in "N"..

No real proof other than I've never personally crank walked an engine even running some retardedly heavy clutches.

Yeah well I only drive the car around here in summer, the brakes have no rust etc, so it's good to just put the E-brake on a little. if I am on a hill I do use the gear as well as the E-brake though.

Thanks for the info guys, I hope if anyone has any other documentation or life experiences they can be posted in this thread.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I dunno about 7Ms, but I recommend bypassing the switch to just about every JZ owner I meet if they haven't done so already.. plus, the majority of JDM cars I've come across never came with them in the first place..

I wanna say Mike (S.C.) said it was one of the leading causes of failure in the JZ motor.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Poodles;1630721 said:
Most of the failures I've heard of over the years were directly related to the RPS 3200lb pressureplate...

yeah, bypassing the switch may not even save you from that particular PP.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
All of my Supras have had the NSS bypassed. Most of my other cars didn't have one to begin with, or I bypassed them. I really should get a remote start (would make winter much more tolerable in the mornings), but like IJ and a few others, I usually leave my car both in gear and e-braked when i park...