IPHONE Picture Texting!

Topher E

Trance Head
Aug 4, 2005
Vacaville
mk3design;1415994 said:
What is it? Doesnt every phone allow pic texting?

The majority yes, but AT&T did not allow MMS with the 3G and the 3gS for some time now. The original iPhone did not have the proper antenna to send and receive MMS.

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
Apple and AT&T are so friggin idiotic. Let's cripple a feature that ALL other cell phones have the capability of.....What friggin business idea was that?

Will NEVER purchase an apple product nor get service through ATT.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Looking forward to PERHAPS considering iPhone technology (I have an iTouch Ipod... and enjoy the WiFi Email features through WiFi hotspots... better for viewing Excel and PDF files, etc... than on my Blackberry) but until it goes Verizon, it's OUT for me due to AT&T service SUCKS in the MidWest...

(BTW, I agree about the DOH!!! mindset that entered market handicapped on such features that are so fundamental...:nono:)

my thoughts...

-crisp

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I can understand the issues they were having as it was in every iphones contract to opt out of MMS so they have to correct that and then make it available but when tethering comes out it should be included in plan unlimited.

Iphone plans are 30 bucks just for Iphone package and another 20 for unlimited text. How much data is one going to really tether with?

Either way everything should be included, if your tethering your not on the phone browsing and if your browsing your not tethering so it should be all one in the same.

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
crisp;1416018 said:
Looking forward to PERHAPS considering iPhone technology (I have an iTouch Ipod... and enjoy the WiFi Email features through WiFi hotspots... better for viewing Excel and PDF files, etc... than on my Blackberry) but until it goes Verizon, it's OUT for me due to AT&T service SUCKS in the MidWest...

(BTW, I agree about the DOH!!! mindset that entered market handicapped on such features that are so fundamental...:nono:)

my thoughts...

-crisp

Email and looking/editing Excel, Word, or PDF files on my blackberry has never phased me.

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
i agree with the apple side of your comment , they try to make it seem as they made a revolutionary phone just because its pretty. yet it dosent send pictues, and cant take videos only so they can keep making a new model every year and charge $100 more for features ive had on phones years before which came standard.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
The new 3GS takes video. The iphone could send mms long before yesterday, just not on ATT's service, Same with tethering. There are other country's besides ours.

The iphone is a great phone, i haven't had much of an issue in new york with ATT service. Im not a fan of black berrys because i dont like the feel and look. Im not saying theres anything wrong with them just personally i dont like them.

I got it because its functions as a small computer, my job gives me lots of free time that the Internet and games make it easier for me to pass. I love the fact that i can see a web page as it was intended to be seen, and i can browse just as i would on my computer.

cinciguy89turbo

Zero to Sixty
Apr 7, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
RiyadYar;1416105 said:
i agree with the apple side of your comment , they try to make it seem as they made a revolutionary phone just because its pretty. yet it dosent send pictues, and cant take videos only so they can keep making a new model every year and charge $100 more for features ive had on phones years before which came standard.

Actually the prices of the phones have gone down $100 each year. All of the models are capable of video, and you can send picture messages if you have the intellegence of a rock through email And its not just a "pretty" phone, and not in the US have you had a phone that has a full HTML browser that can run 8 windows at the same time, 8, 16 or 32 GB of built in memory, with one touch youtube, With 65 THOUSAND of applications that keeps up with things from your finances to you're friends birthday to facebook to the bible in every translation btw....its a number's game people 40 million iPhones worldwide. IDC what you say about apple, they are brilliant people. You're just pissed off because you're still in contract with FREE MOBILE! Oh, and BTW its a pretty phone.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
Wow, my blackberry has been doing mms for ever. But I'm on sprint, which also now has unlimited minutes to any mobile carrier and unlimited amount of cell numbers you want for free.

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
cinciguy89turbo;1416126 said:
Actually the prices of the phones have gone down $100 each year. All of the models are capable of video, and you can send picture messages if you have the intellegence of a rock through email And its not just a "pretty" phone, and not in the US have you had a phone that has a full HTML browser that can run 8 windows at the same time, 8, 16 or 32 GB of built in memory, with one touch youtube, With 65 THOUSAND of applications that keeps up with things from your finances to you're friends birthday to facebook to the bible in every translation btw....its a number's game people 40 million iPhones worldwide. IDC what you say about apple, they are brilliant people. You're just pissed off because you're still in contract with FREE MOBILE! Oh, and BTW its a pretty phone.

I swear Apple fanboys are worse than Honda's..........

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Mondo;1416155 said:
I swear Apple fanboys are worse than Honda's..........

Haha, agreed.

Working in the cell phone industry and playing with just about every phone out there, the iphone is fine. In fact, it works rather well.

Is it revolutionary? Absolutely not.

Is Apple incredibly good with marketing and creating demand? yes.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Apple's "new" MMS ;)

cavepaint-728304.jpg

Note the improvments from v1.0a

_45971278_caves.jpg

wifi hotspots are all in caves.

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
Agree'd Apple made a "Innovative" Product that others are still trying to beat.

They fact that their devices have a 10x Mark up and the fact that they sold out to the highest bidding carrier looses all respect. Sure, they may have gotten a nice chunk of change from them, but the amount of customers using OTHER carriers should yield a lot higher profit.

This is coming from a Geek, who has spent years messing around with computers and networking equipment/software. I hate anything and everything proprietary. Proprietary is just a scam to set their prices to whatever, and make companies adhere to those standards, making them more and more money. It's not a monopoly, but might as well be if any sane person is shopping around for a great affordable machine to perform Graphics or Video editing/production on.

>/rant<

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
suprarx7nut;1416162 said:
Haha, agreed.

Working in the cell phone industry and playing with just about every phone out there, the iphone is fine. In fact, it works rather well.

Is it revolutionary? Absolutely not.

Is Apple incredibly good with marketing and creating demand? yes.

I hate Apple, but I feel like the iPhone is very nice.

I don't LOVE my iPhone, but I really like it. I suppose it may be partially because it was such an upgrade over the black Razr I had for almost 3 years.
Are there features that it SHOULD have had long ago that they are announcing as new now? Yeah. Most of them I could care less about though. Pic messaging? IDGAF. Taking video? I suppose for the price of the phone these things should be included, but those features were never promised to me.
The only thing that really bothered me for the longest time was not being able to type text and e-mail in landscape mode. Now that it does, I don't have anything to complain about.
I didn't buy the phone for its video taking or pic texting ability. I wanted something that was customizable, nice looking, handy, and big enough that I'm not holding it gingerly with two fingers while talking on the phone. I don't really like folding phones. "Candy-bar" form factor appeals most, followed by sliders. The phone had to have the ability to take semi-decent pictures, help with navigation, and allow QWERTY text. Hooking directly to my GMail account and ability to browse the internet abroad were good sellers, and this thing really flies when hooked into my wireless LAN at home. It also had its own MAC address [standard with any network or bluetooth communication, I know] and allows different security protocols and complex characters, to keep in line with my home network security, and of course I can hook up to unsecured wireless networks abroad as well.

A recent seller: Any WoW players? The Authenticator app is free, works the same as any other keychain authenticator, and further secures your account. There is also the free Armory application. Now, while this normally would be a "gee-whiz" thing to show off your accomplishments, gear, and guild [which you could do when browsing the internet on the phone anyways], it seems much faster on the phone -AND- you can check and modify your in-game calendar. So if you accepted an invite to a raid and then found out THAT DAY that you had to work late and would not make it, you can log in and decline the event, and not have to wait to get home to log in and see 9-24 other pissed off people that you disappointed because you accepted and then didn't show up. If you are a scheduled raider, you want this free app.

Audio sounds nice. I am not an audiophile, so I can't really pick up on the slightest difference in clarity or range unless it is really terrible, but I've listened to plenty of music on my phone and it sounds just great to me [I have almost always used 320kBps MP3 files].

The browser seems fast enough. My only gripe so far is that there is a YouTube app, but the Safari browser doesn't have a SWF/Flash plugin.

I got a free weight loss app called "LoseIt!" It helps you by asking your height, weight, gender, and age, and your goal weight. It will give you a daily calorie budget that adjusts as you record your new weight [as you progress]. It has a bunch of foods built in to the program that you can select, select serving size and add the item to whatever meal you are eating at that time of day. This really helps budgeting your daily calorie intake! You can also input and store custom foods, with calorie and serving size information. Overall, it thought it was great. It helped me lose 10 more pounds when I was stuck at a plateau.

There are many other great things about this phone, but I guess some people will simply stick to the negative. To be honest, I think that there is much more potential that Apple could have unleashed, but they do have a great product. They seem bent on upgrading it slowly. Perhaps they didn't want to invest too much in the product at the start [more than they already did], and like to see how the public reacts to new features. They do seem to have a decent record for -eventually- fixing things that people gripe about.
I'm sure there is better value out there -for some people, for the price-, but at the time I couldn't find anything that I really liked with the features I wanted. I can say this, though: The phone has never disappointed me.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Getting an iPhone because you need it and it suits you is one thing, but what shits me about them is that every man and his dog now has one because it's the "in-thing".

I won't be touching an iPhone until it can provide me with a 5mp camera, for now my LGViewty does everything I need - I use it as a camera just as much, if not more, than a phone.

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
drunk_medic;1416221 said:
I hate Apple, but I feel like the iPhone is very nice.

I don't LOVE my iPhone, but I really like it. I suppose it may be partially because it was such an upgrade over the black Razr I had for almost 3 years.
Are there features that it SHOULD have had long ago that they are announcing as new now? Yeah. Most of them I could care less about though. Pic messaging? IDGAF. Taking video? I suppose for the price of the phone these things should be included, but those features were never promised to me.
The only thing that really bothered me for the longest time was not being able to type text and e-mail in landscape mode. Now that it does, I don't have anything to complain about.
I didn't buy the phone for its video taking or pic texting ability. I wanted something that was customizable, nice looking, handy, and big enough that I'm not holding it gingerly with two fingers while talking on the phone. I don't really like folding phones. "Candy-bar" form factor appeals most, followed by sliders. The phone had to have the ability to take semi-decent pictures, help with navigation, and allow QWERTY text. Hooking directly to my GMail account and ability to browse the internet abroad were good sellers, and this thing really flies when hooked into my wireless LAN at home. It also had its own MAC address [standard with any network or bluetooth communication, I know] and allows different security protocols and complex characters, to keep in line with my home network security, and of course I can hook up to unsecured wireless networks abroad as well.

A recent seller: Any WoW players? The Authenticator app is free, works the same as any other keychain authenticator, and further secures your account. There is also the free Armory application. Now, while this normally would be a "gee-whiz" thing to show off your accomplishments, gear, and guild [which you could do when browsing the internet on the phone anyways], it seems much faster on the phone -AND- you can check and modify your in-game calendar. So if you accepted an invite to a raid and then found out THAT DAY that you had to work late and would not make it, you can log in and decline the event, and not have to wait to get home to log in and see 9-24 other pissed off people that you disappointed because you accepted and then didn't show up. If you are a scheduled raider, you want this free app.

Audio sounds nice. I am not an audiophile, so I can't really pick up on the slightest difference in clarity or range unless it is really terrible, but I've listened to plenty of music on my phone and it sounds just great to me [I have almost always used 320kBps MP3 files].

The browser seems fast enough. My only gripe so far is that there is a YouTube app, but the Safari browser doesn't have a SWF/Flash plugin.

I got a free weight loss app called "LoseIt!" It helps you by asking your height, weight, gender, and age, and your goal weight. It will give you a daily calorie budget that adjusts as you record your new weight [as you progress]. It has a bunch of foods built in to the program that you can select, select serving size and add the item to whatever meal you are eating at that time of day. This really helps budgeting your daily calorie intake! You can also input and store custom foods, with calorie and serving size information. Overall, it thought it was great. It helped me lose 10 more pounds when I was stuck at a plateau.

There are many other great things about this phone, but I guess some people will simply stick to the negative. To be honest, I think that there is much more potential that Apple could have unleashed, but they do have a great product. They seem bent on upgrading it slowly. Perhaps they didn't want to invest too much in the product at the start [more than they already did], and like to see how the public reacts to new features. They do seem to have a decent record for -eventually- fixing things that people gripe about.
I'm sure there is better value out there -for some people, for the price-, but at the time I couldn't find anything that I really liked with the features I wanted. I can say this, though: The phone has never disappointed me.

Just an FYI, the IPhone has Horrible security capabilities.