Intermittnt Power Steering issue

ghostmkiiiturbo

Aug 27, 2013
Florence, KY
Okay I looked at a 90' Turbo today and I'm 98% set on purchasing it Friday morning.

The issue is sometimes it has power steering and sometimes it does not. Owner says it has been this way since the engine was pulled for a rebuild and re-installed.

The owner also claims the power steering pump has been replaced with a new unit.

I don't know much about this part of the SM other than the hardline running underside of the block gets in the way on my 87 when I'm removing the oil filter.

I tried searching but all I could find is a lot of threads about the PS vacuum line which is under the turbo inlet. Which I don't think helps me as I know what this does.

What do you guys think the issue is? I'm afraid it's going to be an issue with the steering rack and I really hope not.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
I just replaced mine. Did the same thing for a week or so and then took a final big shit. The screen was the only thing I actually checked but it was relatively clean. It still seems like a good reason for it to act that way (especially if IJ says so).
It seemed completely random to me, when it would not work (made things interesting, for sure).

ghostmkiiiturbo

Aug 27, 2013
Florence, KY
IJ.;1966872 said:
Possible blocked screen in the Reservoir.

Vac line is just an idle up used when parking.

When does it lose assistance?

Right vac line helps to keep it from stalling out. Great when parallel parking.
The owner said its pretty random occurrence. Not really at specific times it works or doesn't.

So the screen is located where in the reservoir? Do I need to get a new reservoir to remedy the issue if thats the problem?

I'm most likely going to purchase the car no matter what. I would just like to remedy this issue asap as I think it will be rather dangerous not knowing when the power assistance is going to go out. The owner seems top think it's "a part on the rack vacuum that the dealer doesn't carry" So I don't think he really has any idea. If its debris in the screen this sounds like an easy fix.

Last edited:

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
To clean the screen you just need to pull the reservoir and back flush it. The screen is built into the reservoir. I used a lot of brake cleaner(2-3 cans) when I cleaned mine, but I wasn't going to settle for anything less than spotless.

ghostmkiiiturbo

Aug 27, 2013
Florence, KY
Okay easy enough always keep plenty of brake cleaner spray in the garage. I may even have a spare reservoir out there in my mountain of supra parts.

I hope this is the issue. I will drain the reservoir out when I get it home and inspect the screen. I'll go ahead and flush out the return line while I'm at it.

Thanks for the quick responses. I will post results when I'm finished Friday.

Last edited: