Interior light problem

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
So i've just started getting a really odd problem with the interior lights. So i set it to door, so they turn on when the door is open or whne the door handle is pulled. now this all works fine, but when i unlock the door with the key from the outside, the lights turn off. and no matter what i do they;re off, whether the door is open closed locked.
Now, when i punch the light, the turn back on, and it all works fine again, until i use the key to unlock again. Anybody know what could be causing this?

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
MKIII N00b said:
i have no idea...hopefully the electronics expert comes in. maybe its just a loose something.

hitting the light itself to fix it makes me htink its somehting loose in there, but then the door key lock making it all turn off really confuses me. hopefull when i take off that light i'll see a wire barely makign a connection or something.

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
86.5, no security system that i know of. where is this Integration Relay #1 located?

However i do suspect some of the wiring may have came on the 86.5s for the features on later years, example, before i had this problem where my horn would go off, not on and off repeatedly, just HOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKKKK non stop, as well as the headlights popped up and brights on, this was all at 4am with me sleeping inside. IT happened every now and then on humid nights/rainy nights. so i assumed it was a cross somewhere and after removing fuses it turned out to be the radio fuse. So basically im assuming it was the radio anti theft devise (that my car doesnt have) although the wiring may have been put in but no relays/sensors. however if something were to cross and give power to those wires, horn and lights, only without the relay. that one was an easy fix though, just new wiring for the radio.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The EWD misspelled cylinder...

Anyway, the integration realy provides the ground. And the cylinder lock sends a voltage signal when you cycle it. That should turn it on, not off. This makes me think there is a problem in the integration relay itself.

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
MKIII N00b said:
my 86.5 has a security system.

and its only engaged by locking the door on the drivers side.

oh wtf? how do i set it? to see if i have it. i;m 99% sure mine has no security system

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
MKivSupra_Rob said:
oh wtf? how do i set it? to see if i have it. i;m 99% sure mine has no security system

I'm 99% sure someone just got very creative with your car's wiring. Try locking the car from the passenger side. There's a spot on the dash that is labeled "Security", the status LED is right there.

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
MKivSupra_Rob said:

locking the car from the drivers side will lock all doors (including hatch) and will set the alarm. if you try to open the hatch or the passenger door with the key the alarm will sound.

unlocking the car from the drivers side will turn off the alarm. im sure you know this...i think im just repeating myself. early morning.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
sorry im not trying to thread jack but my dome is never on since i got my car. I tried to take it out but it seems very hard to pull out and i dont want to force it and possibly break something in there. Fuse for the dome light is good. Is there any easier way to take it out or do i have to pry it with something or does it just snap open when pulled hard on it?

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Just pry it, it won't snap. As 1J. mentioned a common problem on the dome lights is the rivets used for electrical connections, they suck.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
MKIII N00b said:
locking the car from the drivers side will lock all doors (including hatch) and will set the alarm. if you try to open the hatch or the passenger door with the key the alarm will sound.

unlocking the car from the drivers side will turn off the alarm. im sure you know this...i think im just repeating myself. early morning.

You've got some bad switches, there's one on each cylinder. The switches on the driver and passenger lock assembly should both arm and disarm the theft deterrent system. while the one on the hatch lock just disarms it:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=Main&Page=123

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
staticpat said:
Just pry it, it won't snap. As 1J. mentioned a common problem on the dome lights is the rivets used for electrical connections, they suck.

So after 10 years of ownership and 5 cars, the fact that my rivets have never been bad is just luck huh?

I don't know 1J, how common is it?:biglaugh:

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Nick M said:
So after 10 years of ownership and 5 cars, the fact that my rivets have never been bad is just luck huh?

I don't know 1J, how common is it?:biglaugh:

I'd estimate that perhaps 1 out of 10 have had it happen. It's common enough.

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
So i realized it doesnt turn off EVERY time i unlock the door, so it could very well be shitty grounds. How do i get at these lights? just pull it off or is there some sort of screw or bolt? Also, definatly no security system of any type, i can open it from any lock after being locked for mthe drivers door and it does nothing. also when i was in the trunk during bodywork the trunk just has a lock on it and the csble to open it fro mthe inside, no electronics going to it and no where for electronics to connect to it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The cover pops off with a pocket scredriver from snap-on. It fits in the groove provided.

So your security light does not illuminate after locking the driver door from the outside with the key?